Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Moen Posi-temp not as hot as old valve?

Hello,
    I have just replaced my upstairs shower valve last week with a new Moen posi-temp. The valve works correctly, it's not upside down or anything, it balances from cold to hot as it should, and pressure is good. My issue is when turned all of the way hot, it is more like warm, almost hot enough, but not hot. The white plastic limiter is set at 12 Oclock. Removing the handle and stops, and turning the valve with some pliers has no affect. My other shower has hot water, and the 24 year old valve I removed had hot water. I'm used to having my hot water temp set closer to the cold side of the efficiency range, and setting it more towards the middle or that range fixes the problem for now, but seems like a waste of energy. Is this a characteristic of newer shower valves like the Posi-temp?
    Thanks

Re: New Moen Posi-temp not as hot as old valve?

The first thing I would do is take out the plastic limiting stops that slide over the stem, (and leave them out) and put the handle on and try it that way. if no change then shut off water supply and pull cartridge and check for debris in the cartridge and brass body ports, such as solder, pipe dope, sand, grit, rocks, twigs, small children, etc; then turn on the water supply off and on real fast with the cartridge still out to flush the ports out, then reassemble. Should be good to go. If not, then try another cartridge.
    Last edited by plumb4life; 01-20-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Call 1-800-buy-moen tell them about your problem and they will send you out a replacement cartridge for free.
      ________
      3200 Cs
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:35 PM.
      Mike

Comment

I have a customer that has the same problem , I replaced two stems , same problem , so I called the moen rep - he said that he would send me two of the new ones , with new grease / grafite , I haven't recived them yet and it has been almost two weeks

Comment

2 weeks? I get stuff from them in 2 days!!!!!

Originally posted by RHplumbing View Post
          I have a customer that has the same problem , I replaced two stems , same problem , so I called the moen rep - he said that he would send me two of the new ones , with new grease / grafite , I haven't recived them yet and it has been almost two weeks

Comment

I have a customer that has the same problem , I replaced two stems , same problem , so I called the moen rep - he said that he would send me two of the new ones , with new grease / grafite , I haven't recived them yet and it has been almost two weeks.
            Sounds like your rep forgot to call in the order for you. To make sure it gets done you should have your customer call the MOEN number for the parts and to tell MOEN that they are the original purchaser. Then have them call you when they get in so you can install them.
            ________
            WEED VAPORIZERS
            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:35 PM.
            Mike

Comment

Called Moen, they sent me a new cartridge, I flushed the valve and installed new cartridge, same thing. Water is approx 8 to 10 degrees F. colder.
              Any luck?

Comment

this is my take on it. the valve has a balancing spool installed on the it. this will balance the water pressure and basically the volume. if the hot water volume is not comparable to the cold, it will limit the volume of hot.

i don't believe that the cartridge is ever 100% hot water only.

remove the cartridge and have someone turn the water back on. if you have integral stops or shut off valves you can test this yourself. see if you can check the volume and flush the lines.

also make sure to remove the flow restrictor from the shower head. this could be causing a back pressure and create the issue too.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I am with Rick. I would also check the integral stops . They may not be on all the way limiting the hot water.

With the posi temp there is no flow control. I dislike that with that valve. Turn the white temperature stops to the left( counter clockwise0 to increase the temperature output.

Most of the water heaters in Sarasota are electric heaters and the stats can be a plus or minus 15 degrees and considered working properly.Usually there is a 5 degree temp difference between the heater and the farthest fixture depending on distance.

Comment

Working...
                  X