Will this restrict my water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this restrict my water

My plumber suggested i put this when i change out our water filter (which is cracked) on a PEX line. Presently we have a 3/4" line coming into the house. I am pretty sure this will restrict it to a 1/2" since the diameter of the plastic sleeve is 1/2", and i don't want that.
    Seems clear to me but i wanted a more informed opinion.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Will this restrict my water

All pex fittings have a smaller OD than the actual pex tube. The shark bite is no different.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

that plastic "barb" is required on pex type pipe as a stiffener. it's not required on copper. as ron said , pex has internal barbs that restrict the flow at the fittings. the "id" is going to be smaller at these points. your od on 3/4'' pex is a standard 7/8'' to match the other products o.d.

there was a company that made a universal pex connecter that flared the tubing and didn't use a barb. this was a great idea as the fittings were universal to all the makers and it was free flowing. problem was it was very expensive. not even sure if it's still out there.

your sharkbite fitting is acceptable in most peoples eyes. i've used some in a pinch with good results

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

You say your water filter. I wonder if your talking about one of those ten inch inline useless cartridge filters that big box stores like to call "Whole House Filters"? They are useless, save you money.
        Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Well, it was all 3/4 copper and then i asked our plumber to cut into it for a filter. I even supplied him with some 3/4 copper because he had to jig around something. I came home to see this floppy PEX crap job - i wasn't too happy. It's a long story. He was there for another reason (replace faulty water heater that he installed). MAybe he just wanted to get home. Turns out the filter was cracked when he installed it, so i would have to buy another and put it in. He left behind the fitting for me to do on my own. I'll have to hire another plumber to do the job right with copper.
          Whole house water filter installed as some recommend it since we have a tankless. Do others feel they are junk too? It's a GE from HD.

Comment

your "plumber"

i don't know about ge, but if it cracked at the taping it was over tightened. imo. i put a "aqua pure ap-801 (juno)" in my own house. 1" tappings. a freind at the supply house recommended it. a lot longer between filter changes................................. have you paid him yet? if not don't. if he didn't think that your way to do the job was right, he should tell you up front. i have the right to refuse work. not to do differently than agreed. if not tell him to return and do it properly at no extra charge........................ think about it if you went to mcdonalds to get a big mac and they brought you a chicken sandwich, would you allow that? breid.............

Comment

Your new whole house filter will reduce your pressure a lot more than the fitting problem with the pex..keep plenty of extra filters ,to use when the pressure falls..
              I always put a buy pass valve on the filter, So i don't have to go back when the home owner gets tired of it

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                You say your water filter. I wonder if your talking about one of those ten inch inline useless cartridge filters that big box stores like to call "Whole House Filters"? They are useless, save you money.
                Seen many and have installed some. Both the smaller one and the larger one. It's the "first contact/cheapest improvement" available here.

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Seen many and have installed some. Both the smaller one and the larger one. It's the "first contact/cheapest improvement" available here.

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

J.C.
                  Anything that resembles a water softener size tank. And the idea of removing particles in water with a paper cartridge filter doesn't make sense since those particles can't hurt you and they are invisible to the naked eye. Until you gather up enough of them to make them visible as a group.

The best design idea of those inline filters is the ability to make the manufacturer of the filters wealthy.

They don't remove hardness, iron, tannin, sulphur or anything else that people complain about in well water. A water softener, iron filter or carbon filter will do these things, but of coarse they cost more. If you have sulphur (rotten egg) odor, you can use my air pump system or several other methods of removing that problem. These things naturally cost far more than the "Whole house filter". That's what make people flock to the big box stores and buy one of these miracle "Whole house filters".

When they first came out many years ago, they were 3/4" tapped and recommended for one faucet. Now all of a sudden they are for the whole house.

Comment

"They don't remove hardness, iron, tannin, sulphur or anything else that people complain about in well water. A water softener, iron filter or carbon filter will do these things, but of coarse they cost more. If you have sulphur (rotten egg) odor, you can use my air pump system or several other methods of removing that problem. "

I hear what you are saying, but these are not the reasons for this filter in my house. I have a tankless WH with a screen at the flow sensor that gets clogged with particles, and that is what i am trying to eliminate. Whole lot easier to change the filter than it is to drain the heater, pull it apart to get at the flow sensor. Not expecting a miracle, just some particulate removal. Appreciate the comments though.

Comment

I hear what you are saying, but these are not the reasons for this filter in my house. I have a tankless WH with a screen at the flow sensor that gets clogged with particles, and that is what i am trying to eliminate.
                      I think you will find that those particles that are clogging your screen are simply hardness, iron or even sulphur that is naturally occurring in well water and the hardness is in city water also. These minerals will build up on piping, screens or practically anything else that water flows through. It will accumulate with or without that filter since it doesn't remove any of these items.

Comment

Originally posted by riproy View Post
                        "They don't remove hardness, iron, tannin, sulphur or anything else that people complain about in well water. A water softener, iron filter or carbon filter will do these things, but of coarse they cost more. If you have sulphur (rotten egg) odor, you can use my air pump system or several other methods of removing that problem. "

I hear what you are saying, but these are not the reasons for this filter in my house. I have a tankless WH with a screen at the flow sensor that gets clogged with particles, and that is what i am trying to eliminate. Whole lot easier to change the filter than it is to drain the heater, pull it apart to get at the flow sensor. Not expecting a miracle, just some particulate removal. Appreciate the comments though.
                        Why not install a strainer with a blow off?

BTW: The Cuno 801 was a very good suggestion imo, just make sure you're not filtering outside faucets, etc. I also would use the carbon filter as that will remove particles down to (either 5 or 15 microns.. I forget) so will remove some chemicals you may not expect in your water. Thus providing some small measure of protection. The carbon is also especially good at removing chlorine.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                        X