Hot water Heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water Heater

My house will be empty for a month and because I'm in a cold climate I will be turning off my water. I have a newer AO Smith Pro Max power vent water heater that has a vacation setting on. Could that cause me a possible problem with the water being turned off? Thanks for you input.

Re: Hot water Heater

You're leaving the furnace on at reduced heat setting correct? (obviously)

Comment

Yes I figure to hold it at 60F with the bsmt being around 50 then.

Comment

Depending on where your pipes are located (inside or outside walls), you can take it down to lower than 60oF. When I travelled to France on business yearly with a multi-national in the Jan/Feb timeframe, I lowered my house to under 47oF (47oF was the lowest my old school thermostat would go but I remove a screw and tilted it a bit in my favour to lower the temp to 43oF). My gas water heater I turned off. I did this for 4 years in a row. Everything was fine (except for 1 tropical plant that croaked the first year...couldn't take a Toronto winter and I threw it out in the garbage...the other tropical plants did just fine). No plaster cracking...no expansion/contraction issue (as some may comment on this post). For me all went ok....saved a ton on natural gas over the 4 years I did this. We'll see what others post.

Comment

I would suggest 50. Gives you a little lee-way. Plus you never no if every point in the house will be 50, IE basement.
          I would also suggest looking into low temp alerts. They call you if the temp drops to a certain point (in case of furncae failure). I don't know much about them but I know basic ones plug into a light, say in a front window, and the nieghbor can keep an eye out. If the light goes on, they can call you or check it out themselves.
          Great for cottages or long vacations.

Comment

Be sure once you have turned off your water go to the sink faucet in your top floor bathroom and both the hot and cold valves need to be left open. This will help relieve expansion / contraction pressure changes.

Comment

Working...
            X