Lint omania !!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lint omania !!!!!!!!

Our dryer discharges into an interior wall. Square duct up about 8 ft to flat roof. even though we clean the machine lint filter each load We have Lint Omania in the roof jack.
    I couldn,t believe how blocked the round roof jack was,and the SRUARE ducting in the wall.
    I use My leaf blower with a towel gasket at the base and it blows snow up and out to the roof. Any ideas appreciated.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Lint omania !!!!!!!!

call a pro to come and clean it out. i have all the tools on my van. to bad your a 20 hour drive.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

get a flue brush from lowes. I've never been a big fan of a dryer that wasn't on an outside wall. then again, I hate washer machines that Are on outside walls.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Our dryer discharges into an interior wall. Square duct up about 8 ft to flat roof. even though we clean the machine lint filter each load We have Lint Omania in the roof jack.
        I couldn,t believe how blocked the round roof jack was,and the SRUARE ducting in the wall.
        I use My leaf blower with a towel gasket at the base and it blows snow up and out to the roof. Any ideas appreciated.
        Make sure you do not have any hardware cloth in your roof jack. I'm also wondering if you have a backdraft damper?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Make sure you do not have any hardware cloth in your roof jack. I'm also wondering if you have a backdraft damper?

Mark
          No Mark, No damper on the roof jack. Are You saying I should have one ?

Went to Bed Bath and Beyond, and bought the dryer max lint removal kit $19.99
          Looks like it will do a great job.

WOOPS Junk don't buy it!
          Last edited by toolaholic; 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
            call a pro to come and clean it out. i have all the tools on my van. to bad your a 20 hour drive.
            No , thats good

Comment

No Mark, No damper on the roof jack. Are You saying I should have one ?

Went to Bed Bath and Beyond, and bought the dryer max lint removal kit $19.99
              Looks like it will do a great job.
              Yes a backdraft damper is required.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

When it dries out,I'll fire up the Kettle and find a proper roof jack. Flat roof,I'll ask My sheet metal guys what they have. Whole Eichler neighbor hood has the same round Jack.

Comment

I had a similar problem. My roof, which is black, looked terrible with the lint around the jack.

In my case the other side of the wall was the garage. So I ditched the "flat" duct buried in the wall, ran a ROUND duct on the garage side up into the attic space, then cut across and came out the wall on a gable end with a wall cap. I put one of those electric booster blowers, (Fantec, I think) that turns on when it senses pressure, in the line.

No more problems, and the dryer seems to work better.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                    I had a similar problem. My roof, which is black, looked terrible with the lint around the jack.

In my case the other side of the wall was the garage. So I ditched the "flat" duct buried in the wall, ran a ROUND duct on the garage side up into the attic space, then cut across and came out the wall on a gable end with a wall cap. I put one of those electric booster blowers, (Fantec, I think) that turns on when it senses pressure, in the line.

No more problems, and the dryer seems to work better.
                    Thanks Andy I have no choice ,a slab on grade , and laundry is in the center of home!

Comment

If the vent doesn't go strait out the wall its always a problem
                      you can find a dryer vent brush at harbor freight for 5 bucks .10 ft long
                      Turn on the dryer and brush it out
                      warning it will cover you with lint

Comment

Square duct up about 8 ft to flat roof.
                        If you don't mind, I'm curious about the dimensions of the square duct? If the cross sectional area is considerably larger than that of a 4" circular dryer vent pipe the air velocity may be too slow to disperse the lint over a wider area on your roof.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Geno,I can't believe Your post. I began reading about lint problems and learned ,exactly
                          what You posted. Up sizing slows the velocity. It all collects in the square duct and vent hood. I believe the size is around 3"x 8" . this was standard Eichler construction in 1959
                          circa. He built 10,000 of these. Either You love them or hate them. We love ours.

Comment

Can you install a 4" aluminum dryer vent in the wall? I've been able to squeeze 4" aluminum pipe into a 2x4 wall (actual 3.5") with no fittings inside the wall. It just becomes slightly oblong. This may reduce your buildup.

The 3x8 rectangular duct has double the area of 4" round (24" vs 12" sq in). So I imagine the velocity would double but that's a guess on my part.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                              Can you install a 4" aluminum dryer vent in the wall? I've been able to squeeze 4" aluminum pipe into a 2x4 wall (actual 3.5") with no fittings inside the wall. It just becomes slightly oblong. This may reduce your buildup.

The 3x8 rectangular duct has double the area of 4" round (24" vs 12" sq in). So I imagine the velocity would double but that's a guess on my part.
                              Thanks ,Maybe I'll try that.

Comment

Working...
                              X