Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Flow Control Question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Flow Control Question

    We installed a Glacier Bay gooseneck kitchen faucet in our kitchen, but have had terrible water flow ever since. We tried to live with it, thinking it had to do with our neighborhood's low-flow water-saving policy. When guests commented on how low our flow was, we hired a plumber who threw his hands up after charging us a $100 service fee that didn't solve our problem. Out of frustration, I took apart the pull-down part of the faucet and discovered a small yellow item made by Neoperl that is supposed to control the water flow. I removed the item and -- lo and behold -- our water pressure improved 100 percent, without leading to leakage or any other discernible problem.

    Does anyone know if it matters whether or not this tiny, yellow flow-control device is necessary, and if so, how we can resolve this problem without replacing the entire faucet? We love the look of the faucet. But our plumber told us to always use Delta products in the future because they are just easier to work on and have fewer moving parts. Thoughts anyone?

  • #2
    Re: Flow Control Question

    Sounds like that lil' yeller thang is one o' dem "green" thangs,
    know what I mean?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Flow Control Question

      The problem you are going to have is getting parts for you Home Depot Glacier Bay Faucet (THEY DONT MAKE PARTS FOR THEIR FAUCETS) Although you like the looks of the faucet I find that I have to side with your plumber and say you would be better off with a MOEN or DELTA faucet because down the road you can have it repaired. The funny thing about Home Depot is that they will send you to a local plumbing supply house to see if they have parts for their "MADE FOR HOME DEPOT ONLY" faucet.
      ________
      Buy Magic Flight Launch Box
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:36 PM.
      Mike

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Flow Control Question

        is it a pull out spout or head??

        some types use a back flow device like you describe in the supply

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Flow Control Question

          It's a pull-out faucet, and it's been running FANTASTICALLY ever since I pulled out that little "water flow control" device. I'm so happy with my water pressure and spray now!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Flow Control Question

            I have a hansgrohe in my kitchen. Same problem. Took the thing out, same as you. No issues since, except it works great now.

            Sorry about the $100. I would have thought he would have found that pretty quickly.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Flow Control Question

              Deborah, sorry to say it but looks you got sucked in by the pretty wrapper. We have similar cheap stuff in many places other than real Plumbing Suppliers/Wholesalers. This is what happens to many who think Plumbers are just another tradesman. Got to gete back to understanding that we are Professionals, at least most of us are. If I had sold this to you and installed it I would have followed through to see you were satisfied. Afterall it is better to have you talk good things about a good tradesman rather than getting bagged. Again it unfortunate you had to pay for someone who doesnt know. Next time think before you jump in boots and all. Lastly most lessons learned have a cost to them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Flow Control Question

                the part you removed is most likely a flow control that limits it to either 2.25-2.5gpm. but there is a chance it was a spring loaded check valve for anti-siphon protection.

                usually i disconnect the spout from the hose and do a flow test. it's a bummer when the flow from the hose is just as low as with the spout. you got lucky

                the other issue will be that with the increased flow, there is a good chance the pull out hose will wear faster. all pull out hoses break. some sooner than others.

                rick.
                phoebe it is

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Flow Control Question

                  Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  the part you removed is most likely a flow control that limits it to either 2.25-2.5gpm. but there is a chance it was a spring loaded check valve for anti-siphon protection.

                  usually i disconnect the spout from the hose and do a flow test. it's a bummer when the flow from the hose is just as low as with the spout. you got lucky

                  the other issue will be that with the increased flow, there is a good chance the pull out hose will wear faster. all pull out hoses break. some sooner than others.

                  rick.
                  Wow. Thank you for the education! This is great. Also, I'm sure our water bill will be higher now that our water is gushing out of our faucet! Oh well, it's better than standing there waiting for my coffee pot to fill for a half hour!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Flow Control Question

                    Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                    Deborah, sorry to say it but looks you got sucked in by the pretty wrapper. We have similar cheap stuff in many places other than real Plumbing Suppliers/Wholesalers. This is what happens to many who think Plumbers are just another tradesman. Got to gete back to understanding that we are Professionals, at least most of us are. If I had sold this to you and installed it I would have followed through to see you were satisfied. Afterall it is better to have you talk good things about a good tradesman rather than getting bagged. Again it unfortunate you had to pay for someone who doesnt know. Next time think before you jump in boots and all. Lastly most lessons learned have a cost to them.
                    I agree. And these guys were endorsed by our local radio personality, meeting his quality test. That's why I thought I'd try them. Next time, I'm going to stick with our master plumber. His company charges a little more, but at least I know I'm getting a pro. But I'm not bitter. My problem is fixed and I didn't cause a major flood under our kitchen sink!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Flow Control Question

                      Originally posted by Deborah Wilson View Post
                      we hired a plumber who threw his hands up after charging us a $100 service fee that didn't solve our problem.
                      Amazing! It's hard to believe a real plumber wouldn't check the water saver first. (Who knows it may have had debris blocking the port)

                      Originally posted by Deborah Wilson View Post
                      Does anyone know if it matters whether or not this tiny, yellow flow-control device is necessary, and if so, how we can resolve this problem without replacing the entire faucet?
                      While there is a code that says the water flow in a kitchen sink can't exceed 2.5 gpm try to think of the enforcers in the same vein as the mattress tag police.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

                      Fruit flies like a banana.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X