Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Tank Water Heaters

Hello,

I'm replacing the original tank water heater (cir. 1986) in my house and plan on installing an LP 50 gallon tank.

Here's where I need some help - what do you guys recommend for a brand? What would you put in your house? What should I steer clear from?

(Before this thread takes a tangent, I've done the research based on my geographic location, made my decision, and am not going tankless ... just looking for advice on tank products)

Thanks in advance!

Re: Recommended Tank Water Heaters

I really like Bradford White water heaters. Good customer service, reliable product.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Bradford White would be my first choice, Rheem my second, and everything else except Whirlpool a very distant third. If you think about Whirlpool, just flush your wallet down the toilet, it'll be faster.

Bradford White and Rheem have a better FVIR system then some of the other manufacturers, that is why they are my first two choices. If we were talking about electric water heaters, I'd say Rheem over Bradford White.

Comment

Use the same brand as the original. 20+ years ain't bad.
        Mike

Comment

Bradford white is what I sell. Don't get REEMED! Ask plumber Rick about their No service policy on new heaters that don't work!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Bradford white is what I sell. Don't get REEMED! Ask plumber Rick about their No service policy on new heaters that don't work!
            thanks tool, i'm still waiting on the check from last months leaker.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I am a manufacturers service rep for every water heater made. I too would go with Bradford White as my first choice. Rheem would be at the bottom of my list.

Comment

Anyone install any of the heat pump water heaters? Saw one in Lowe's 80 gallon it was $1,599. Seems like a good idea, but the price is pretty steep.

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                  Use the same brand as the original. 20+ years ain't bad.
                  Mike

Not a bad idea... the original is a GE I believe - but I'm not sure the GE's at HD nowadays are the same quality...

Thanks for all the replies - it's a big help!

Comment

With all things,best is subjective. We have no problems with Rheem. No issues with warranty or service help when needed. We prefer the pro series that extends the tank warranty from the manufacture.With Rheem we call the factory and give the serial number and pull the tag and it is replaced. Very rarely do we return the tank or asked to return the tank.It depends on your area and who has flooded the marketing area.

We have a fantastic working relationship with the Rheem rep.

We pull and replace more defective ao smiths and state than any of the other water heaters. Bradford white,three of our supply chains went to Bradford white a few years ago two went back to Rheem.In our area Rheem has flooded the market.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
                      thanks tool, i'm still waiting on the check from last months leaker.

Rick.
                      rick don't you know the check is in the mail !!!!!!!!!!! :d
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by cdstevens View Post
                        Not a bad idea... the original is a GE I believe - but I'm not sure the GE's at HD nowadays are the same quality...

Thanks for all the replies - it's a big help!
                        CDSTEVENS

THE G.E. WATER HEATERS AT HOME CHEEPO IS MADE BY RHEEM MFG.

IN BEAUTIFUL MEXICO CITY
                        JERRYMAC
                        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

We pull and replace more defective ao smiths and state than any of the other water heaters. Bradford white,three of our supply chains went to Bradford white a few years ago two went back to Rheem.In our area Rheem has flooded the market.

I wonder if that is because AO Smith has been around since the start and there are probably more of them out there or are you talking about new ones having to be replaced?

Comment

Bradford white, AO Smith, and State are the best tank water heaters in my opinion and run dont walk away from Whirlpool gas water heaters. Rheems dont make the cut on my reqs. However, not just anyone can go and buy one of the better water heaters off the shelf of a big box store. Our Bradford White Reps used to tell us that you can't buy BW's anywhere but from supply houses. Then one day I saw them at an Ace hardware. Apparently Ace stores can buy them from supply houses and sell them at their stores.
                            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                              CDSTEVENS

THE G.E. WATER HEATERS AT HOME CHEEPO IS MADE BY RHEEM MFG.

IN BEAUTIFUL MEXICO CITY
                              I would rather see things made in Mexico than made in China.
                              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                              X