X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on no-overflow sinks

I bought and installed a couple of Glacier Bay vanity sinks, not paying attention to the fact that they had no overflow holes. This of course means no venting of the drain, meaning that the faucet flow has to be very low to keep from filling up the sink. This is irritating. Is there a kit I can install to add a vent? Do I use some sort of high rise stopper to fix this? Help! Thanks.

Re: Question on no-overflow sinks

You'll be fine. The overflow is not the vent for the sink drain.
    ________
    FORD SYNUS SPECIFICATIONS
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:37 PM.
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
      You'll be fine. The overflow is not the vent for the sink drain.
      yes and no

it's not the sanitary vent for the fixture, but it does make a big difference in the draining of the sink and stopper.

i would remove the stopper and see if the sink drains properly. if it still doesn't then the problem is most likely the drain. if it does help with the stopper removed, then you can try adjusting the stopper all the way up as high as it will still work.

i see this when either a cheap sink is installed or a glass "salad" bowl is used

it's too late to replace the sink

you could also try adding a wye branch tailpiece and running a hose up as high to the counter as possible. be aware this can become an overflow if the sink fills up to high.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

go back to homers and get a sink that has an overflow. breid..............

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          yes and no

it's not the sanitary vent for the fixture, but it does make a big difference in the draining of the sink and stopper.

i would remove the stopper and see if the sink drains properly. if it still doesn't then the problem is most likely the drain. if it does help with the stopper removed, then you can try adjusting the stopper all the way up as high as it will still work.

i see this when either a cheap sink is installed or a glass "salad" bowl is used

it's too late to replace the sink

you could also try adding a wye branch tailpiece and running a hose up as high to the counter as possible. be aware this can become an overflow if the sink fills up to high.

rick.

Rick, we've installed lots of vessel sinks and they do not have a overflow and never have had a problem with them draining. Not much different than a laundry tub or kitchen sink, if it's not draining it could have a partical blockage.
          ________
          Magic Flight Launch Box Review
          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:37 PM.
          Mike

Comment

All pop up aren't created equal ...Some drain a lot better than others

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
              All pop up aren't created equal ...Some drain a lot better than others
              A agree with DELCASE and Rick. I see more and more (cheaper) pop up assemblies that allow a pocket of air to get caught under the stopper and restrict flow. I also see it with some cheaper grid strainers. However, I think that a lot of it has to do with how the faucet discharges. If the spout lines up directly over the pop-up or grid, I see much more of this (especially with low flow aerators as they infuse a lot more air into the stream). I've only encountered this phenomenon on vessel bowls where the faucet stream hits right on the drain assebly or one that has a very ornate grid strainer.

The overflow on most vanities is really only about 3/8" maybe 1/2" ID, so the effect is usually nominal on the flow, but it can help relieve the air pocket.

If the user likes barbasol though, that overflow probably has a lot of build up in it.

That's my 2cents.

Lunch is over, now back to work

Comment

Working...
              X