X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping into outdoor drain

Does anyone here work with outdoor drains used for removing excess water during rains. In many respects they seem like the indoor drains.

In any event I'm remodelling my yard and the overall gradient has changed. As a result I need to add a new drain line or two as the old inlets are now not going to work well since they are no longer the lowest points in the yard.

I will need to dig and access the drain line (I believe it is a 3" line) but I'm not sure how to tap into it. This is mainly because the whole drain line is buried and even if I were to cut into it I cannot see how to get a tee in there since the rest of the line cannot be moved.

Any ideas?

Re: Tapping into outdoor drain

Use 2 rubber ferncos (couplings)
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

probably a slip coupling without the center stop.

chances are probably have the cheap styrene plastic pipe junk.

post a picture and we can confirm.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the replies Rick and toolaholic. At the moment I'm working on the landscape irrigation plumbing and the controls so I've not got around to digging up the soil to expose the pipe.

However, I have taken a photo of the existing pipe at one of the inlets - maybe that will help confirm it is the pipe Rick is referring to.

Also I was mistaken about the pipe diameter - it is actually 4".

Comment

If it's all pvc like that in the pic it will be easy just buy a y and a 22 and 2 ferncos for each connection. You could use t's but if you ever have to service (snake or camera)the line you will have problems.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

looks to be pvc sdr35 pipe. which is a good choice. not the styrene junk.

although they never glued the coupling into place

the sdr has a slightly smaller outside diameter/ od than standard sch. 40 pipe. a fernco will still work, but cutting a coupling in half and gluing each half onto the ends will allow the fernco to tighten properly as the od will be correct.

grinding out the stop on a sdr 35 coupling will also work, but gluing it will make it difficult to slide it into place fast enough.

thy don;t make combies, but they make san tees and wyes. a san tee is not the end of the world, but a wye and 45 will be the best choice.

make sure you get pvc sdr35 fittings and not the styrene junk.

post pictures of the proposed spot and also the new fittings. then we can see if it's correct before you glue it.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the replies Rick and cuda. I'm not sure what a 22 is. There is supposed to be a cap in that pic which I removed to look inside the pipe and to get a better photo. Should that have been glued?

I'm grateful it was not since we recently had a lot of rain (probably same for you guys in LA) and the yard was flooded since we have clay soil and rocks. The soil does not absorb the water well. I pumped out about 300 gallons with a submersible pump and pumped it down the drain.

I just realized that I did not accurately describe what I'm planning on doing. I just saw someone else had posted some pics on another thread using Google Sketchup. I just downloaded it and am experimenting with it - I will try to use it to draw a better diagram fo the current layout and what changes I'm planning. Probably will be more instructive with a diagram.

Comment

you could just draw a sketch and scan it in or take a photo of your sketch.

p.s. a 22 or 22 1/2 degree is also known as a 1/16th bend. a 45 is a 1/8th. bend. 360 degrees to a circle

a wye and 45 make a comby also known as a combination.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Can anyone suggest where to buy this sdr35 pipe and fittings. I just visited my local HD and what they seem to hae is the flimsy stuff for outdoor drains - some kind of corrugated pipe - one type was black and the other was white with holes. Did not understand the purpose of the holes.

The plumbing section only had ABS pipe in 4".

The reason I wanted some pipe is that I wanted to make a couple of branch lines running to the main drain since I want the drain inlet located at the other end of where the drain line currently runs.

Also to clarify - I take it a Fernco is one of the those rubber couplings with a hose clamp. So if I understand what is being suggested I first cut the pipe, slip the Frenco couplings over both ends then insert the center fitting (Y + 45 deg fitting).

I will put up a drawing also but my intention was not to provide the drain inlet just above the pipe but connect it via a branch line as I mentioned earler. So I imagine the center fitting will be a sanitary T lying on its side - or the Y + 45 lying on its side to connect to the branch line.

Comment

sdr 35 is available at an irrigation supply house and most decent plumbing supply houses.

try ewing irrigation supply.

use wye and 45 instead of the san tees. us plumbers and drain cleaners would like that better

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick - I will check it out.

Okay so here are the diagrams. I downloaded the Google Sketchup (mentioned on another thread) and quickly learnt how to put a basic diagram together. It is a bit crude and I'm not still very good at using it but hopefully it will give a general idea of what I'm planning.

The first pic shows the layout of the relevant section of the existing drain line - excluding the current inlets and caps.

The next pic shows my proposed changes. Please note that I'm showing a regular T in the diagram - it should be a Y + 45 as suggested by Rick. I did not have enough patience to try and find the appropriate fitting in the library.

Here is another view - it is kind of fun to walk around and view the design in 3D.

Comment

very nice application for drawing.

another suggestion is to install the nds drains with a sump basin to prevent dirt and debris from entering into the system. these have a built in sump to catch a few inches of debris before it goes downstream, allowing you to reach in and clean them.

they come in round and square boxes.
                        "nds" is a common brand. h.d. carries a decent selection too. so will any irrigation supply that you buy the sdr35 from.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I just reread something that Rick wrote and did not exactly understand what is being proposed

the sdr has a slightly smaller outside diameter/ od than standard sch. 40 pipe. a fernco will still work, but cutting a coupling in half and gluing each half onto the ends will allow the fernco to tighten properly as the od will be correct.
                          A sch 40 or sdr 35 coupling? Cutting in half and glueing over the existing sdr 35 pipe? I guess I'm not able to picture it.

Do they make Fernco type couplings for sdr 35,

Comment

the coupling thickness will add the extra od you need to make a fernco tighten properly to the fitting. basically a sdr 35 coupling od is very similar to the sch 40 od. the 1/2 coupling is basically a step up od bushing. you could use a whole coupling and just cut another piece of sdr35 1.5'' long just to double up the coupling and pipe wall thickness.

compare the sdr35 coupling od with a sch 40 od pipe and you'll see they're very similar

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Updated diagram using Y + 45 as suggested by Rick.

Comment

Working...
                              X