X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dripping sound in wall when water is on

I have this strange issue and would love some help. My plumbing system is filled with water and no leaks from any connectors and or faucets. However, when I turn on the faucet in the main bathroom, I hear what sounds like a dripping inside the wall downstairs. It only happens when the faucet is actually one. Also, I have no visible signs of any water anywhere. the pipes are PVC. I when to the basement to see if anyevidence of water but none. No bubbles in the wall or cieling. No water leak from any of the faucet fittings or the shut offs. Another thing is that it happens from whicher sink i use in that bathroom...it is a double sink. I would think that if it where the lines I would get the drip constantly.Oh by the way pipes are copper. And if it is a drain, I would think I would see evidence of it somewhere. Could this, or does this sound like it could be normal? If so, what is causing that sound and what can I do to stop it. Thanks in advance for the help

Re: dripping sound in wall when water is on

Sounds like a drain leak if you only hear it when the water is running. It is common for tub spouts to leak back into the wall if the o ring seal on the pipe is not good, or some delta shower valve diverters can leak behind the coverplate when water is on.........sooner or later, your leak will sow up.

Comment

Possibility:
      Expansion and contraction of pipes (both copper and ABS/PVC) rubbing against wood studs/joists can make a similar noise as water dripping. Happened in the last house I lived in. Drove me nuts, but not nuts enough to tear the plaster down and investigate.

Comment

Chemeng,

You described what I think I think is happening. Pumb4life, I agree with your assement except for the tub thing, I have never used the tub and heard that sound, so not that I think. ? Chemeng, did the sound happen all the time or just with Temp variances along with pressure. Do you think I can find a work around without opening walls. Something like.....well I don't know. thanks for both responses helps out a lot.

Comment

In my situation, that sound always occurred when the upstair washroom sink's hot water would be turned on, especially when it was turned on at a low volume rate (a good trickle). When the water would eventually heat up (from the HWT in the basement), then the noise would start, till the ABS pipe (or copper) was fully heated and expanded then it would stop. Was more like a tick, tick, tick, tick like water dropping. Without opening walls, there was very little I could do to strap down/insulate the pipes. I just lived with the problem. But it was annoying I will admit.

Comment

when plumbers bind plastic pipe tightly not allowing for expansion and contraction is when trouble starts knocking.

Comment

Go to tool up. Buy a ridgid micro sea snake . 9.5 MM head camera. drill a 1/2" hole in wall
              or ceiling. I own one use it a lot $236.07. Dry or Wet You'll know,and have an awesome tool for life. I'm a general cont. this is My 48 th year as a carpenter. The subtle leaks in walls will kill Your pocket book, and mold is no joke. Ask These tradesmen that own one .
              Awesome tool.
              Last edited by toolaholic; 02-04-2010, 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                In my situation, that sound always occurred when the upstair washroom sink's hot water would be turned on, especially when it was turned on at a low volume rate (a good trickle). When the water would eventually heat up (from the HWT in the basement), then the noise would start, till the ABS pipe (or copper) was fully heated and expanded then it would stop. Was more like a tick, tick, tick, tick like water dropping. Without opening walls, there was very little I could do to strap down/insulate the pipes. I just lived with the problem. But it was annoying I will admit.
                I have the exact same thing. My house is 30 years old and re-plumbed with pex before i moved in. When I first moved in, I didn't hear anything when I ran water in any fixtures. Then I turned up the heat on my hot water tank. When shaving one day I heard a ticking sound at a steady rate when filling the sink. I kinda freaked out (as most plumbers do when they hear dripping sounds in their own home.) I immediately checked the access hatch for the tub for water damage (only a few feet away from the sink and also provided a good vantage/feeling point for the drain line for the sink as it ties into the tub drain above forming a wet vent for the tub). I checked everything with my moisture meter for months and couldn't find anything. I recently ran a ton of hot water and found out it was a pex line expanding and contracting and hitting the drywall in the tight cavity it was fished through.The noise would stop when the pex reached a neutral temperature, or if you ran some cool water for a second to cool the cavity. Too bad there isn't much to do about it without opening the wall...

Comment

I agree that it sounds like water hammer. the copper water supplies may not be properly braced. I see this often. Actually happens at my father's house but the lines are buried in the floor and tearing it up is not an option right now, so it's just an inconvenience.

If there is no visible water damage it's probably the above mentioned issue. May just be an inconvenience until you remodel.

Using the seesnake micro in the gap behind the escutheons is a viable possibility to inspect and verify that there is no water actively leaking.

Where in Chicago are you? I'm in the Western Suburbs. Happy to give advice over the phone.

PM me and I'll send you my contact info, or my email is on my profile page if you would like to chat.

Regards,

Chris Swade
                  Henry Swade Plumbing, Inc.
                  Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 02-05-2010, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marklar89 View Post
                    I have the exact same thing. My house is 30 years old and re-plumbed with pex before i moved in. When I first moved in, I didn't hear anything when I ran water in any fixtures. Then I turned up the heat on my hot water tank. When shaving one day I heard a ticking sound at a steady rate when filling the sink. I kinda freaked out (as most plumbers do when they hear dripping sounds in their own home.) I immediately checked the access hatch for the tub for water damage (only a few feet away from the sink and also provided a good vantage/feeling point for the drain line for the sink as it ties into the tub drain above forming a wet vent for the tub). I checked everything with my moisture meter for months and couldn't find anything. I recently ran a ton of hot water and found out it was a pex line expanding and contracting and hitting the drywall in the tight cavity it was fished through.The noise would stop when the pex reached a neutral temperature, or if you ran some cool water for a second to cool the cavity. Too bad there isn't much to do about it without opening the wall...
                    Read about the Micro Sea Snake above! NO WALL OPENED, 1/2" HOLE
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

yup. We have the seesnake micro at work. It is awesome indeed. You can see through a half inch hole like you're looking through a window. The problem is I need to cut drywall in order to talon clip it to some existing framing or added backing...which is a problem. Ah well, maybe I will be able to try a large, thick cable tie or something.....it doesn't really bother me that bad so so far I've left it alone.

Comment

Run a hose from the sink faucet over to the tub just to rule out the sinks drain.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          when plumbers bind plastic pipe tightly not allowing for expansion and contraction is when trouble starts knocking.
                          Copper too, BTW.

Comment

I have the same problem. I just bought this 32 years old house about seven months ago. All this time I havn't had much trouble with the plumbing other that minor drips in the kitchen sink because of the bad faucet. I do not have basement. My hall bathroom is right above the utility/laundry room. One day when my wife was using the hall bathroom's sink I heard the dripping sound in the laundry room downstairs. It made so worried. I have been watching for any water signs but found none yet. The drip drip drip drip sound is there whenever we use the sink upstairs. No dripping sound when we use the bath tub or the toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by NewHomeOwner View Post
                              I have the same problem. I just bought this 32 years old house about seven months ago. All this time I havn't had much trouble with the plumbing other that minor drips in the kitchen sink because of the bad faucet. I do not have basement. My hall bathroom is right above the utility/laundry room. One day when my wife was using the hall bathroom's sink I heard the dripping sound in the laundry room downstairs. It made so worried. I have been watching for any water signs but found none yet. The drip drip drip drip sound is there whenever we use the sink upstairs. No dripping sound when we use the bath tub or the toilet.
                              Read what toolaholic said !

Comment

Working...
                              X