X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent Water Pressure

We are having some difficulty maintaining water pressure in our master bathroom. The cold water pressure is great, but the hot water pressure is very inconsistent in both our sinks and shower. There are times in which we hardly get any pressure at all.

I have eliminated the water tank as an issue as it isn't very old and we get good pressure to all of the rest of the faucets. I disconnected the line to the faucet in our bathroom to check for pressure and make sure it wasn't the faucets. There was very low pressure coming out of the line.

I just can't figure this one out. Any ideas???

Re: Inconsistent Water Pressure

Galvanized water pipes?

New water heater recently?

J.C.

Comment

The pipes are copper and the tank is about 12 years old. It is 20 year tank.

Comment

Did this just happen recently?

J.C.

Comment

According to your post you have low water pressure on only the hot side going to all fixtures in a bathroom.

A blockage on the hot branch to that bathroom? Low % but possible.

You can try taking the valves underneath the sinks apart, clean the shower head, & take apart the shower valve to see if anything is damaged or needs to be flushed out.

J.C.

Comment

You are correct, it is only low pressure to that bathroom and just with the hot water. I did take apart everything except the shower value(not sure how to do that), that you mentioned and everything functions properly. I even took the shower head and put it on another shower. It works great in that bathroom.

The problem has been going on for some time now, but has gotten worse over the last few months. It is just very confusing since some days we get pretty good pressure and other days, there isn't much pressure at all.

Thanks for following this thread.

Comment

Hmmmmm.....Wonder if you have heat trap nipples with the little balls at the water heater and one has escaped & moving around?

Time to call the plumber man.

J.C.

Comment

Slim chance, but maybe the shutoff valves for the hot fixtures aren't open all the way?

Is the water hard?
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Is this running each fixture individually or both together?Ohio went to pressure balance controls in the early 80s and it may be a balancing problem in the shower. The lavatory may be a seperate issue.

Is there any debris in the aerators?Water heaters manufactured betweem 93-97 may have faulty dip tubes. You say the heater is twelve years old making it a 98 possibly manufactured in 97.That would be my first look.

Comment

teach

go back to the line to the sink that had low pressure. remove the shut off. check for flow. if valve is plugged, clean it out. i have had anode rods go bad and they will plug up the hot valves or faucets. they tend to plug the ones used the most. geno asked about hard water? is it or was it ever? could be a slug mineral deposit. breid...............

Comment

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the assistance. My friend and I are going to go back and check some of the things that you all have listed. Otherwise, as JC said, time to call the plumber.

Comment

You never did say what kind of faucets you have
                        If you can find a hose adapter with the same threads as your lavatory aerator
                        you can cap the lav off
                        then turn the water off to your water heater , and hold the Tp valve on the tank open
                        Have your friend turn on the lav hot & cold wide open it will send the cold back to your tank via the hot line and might shake something loose
                        take turns sending the water back and forth until you get a strong flow

Comment

the thing that is interesting is the fact that it turns itself on and off. since this is affecting 1 entire bathroom at the same time, i would look for some sort of debris in the branch line feeding that bathroom

the cold water back flush is a good idea, but i have better luck with compressed air and basically the same method.

is the copper accessible or is it a slab?

could there be a globe valve with loose washer that is on the branch. sort of sounds like a disc/ dime that is flapping in a tee. a check valve that lost its disc

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Delcase,

The faucets are American Standard. They are only 2 years old. Separate handles for hot and cold water. Oh, on edit, my house is a colonial so if needed I am sure we could get to all of the lines in the house.

Rick,

I will try that too. My friend is in the home improvement business and understands these posts more than I do. Plumbing isn't his specialty, but he will know what to do to test your and everyone else's ideas.

Thanks.
                            Last edited by mrteach3; 02-07-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

You could also have a dropped gate going only to that bathroom on the hot line.

Good luck and post what you find please.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X