X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have question on shower

I am in the process of tearing out my tile tub surround that is 42 years old and water logged, and figured now would be the time to replace the 42 yr old Delta single handle faucet.
    I purchased a similar Delta single handle faucet, with the tub spout and shower. My question is this: The brass body of the fausect has four threaded openings. I was going to solder up a copper threaded fitting to the pipe and then thread it onto the brass valve with teflon tape. Is it possible to just bypass the threaded fitting and sweat solder the 1/2" copper pipe to the brass faucet body? I put a piece of 1/2" pipe in the fitting and it is a nice tight fit.
    I guess I just want to avoid dealing with threads and soldering within 3" where the 90 degree elbow is.

Re: Have question on shower

yes, it's intended to be either thread or sweat.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Thank You Mo',

Having people like you here to help people like me is great. I can handle soldering some joints, wouldn't want to make a living at it. It's a good thing they will be hidden from view!

Comment

Originally posted by so2315 View Post
        Thank You Mo',

Having people like you here to help people like me is great. I can handle soldering some joints, wouldn't want to make a living at it. It's a good thing they will be hidden from view!
        Shouldn't list your occupation as plumber then.

You could be a Nunya too.

J.C.

Comment

LOL,
          I changed it to the true me, "plumper". Have no idea why I had that in there. recreational handyman, beer drinker is more like it!

Comment

a pretty solder joint is worth the learning curve. at least for me it is. I'd hate to think of some of the houses I learned on now that its been several years.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

MAKE SURE YOU PULL THE CARTRIDGE AND ANY OTHER PLASTIC/RUBBER PARTS BEFORE YOU SOLDER, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE INEXPERIENCED!!

Otherwise you may find out exactly how easy (or dificult) it is to find Delta parts near you!

Side note: I've never installed one myself Delta single handle faucet and I rearely see them in the Chicago area.

moen, moen, moen is all we use (or Kohler or Grohe for high-end jobs).

Easy to repair, just swap the cartridge (can be bought at most any hardware store in the area). Delta parts are a pain to get sometimes (and I don't particularly care for the quality.

Comment

Something to think about and sometimes is a great idea for a shower. Install the tub and shower valve and allow the tub spout to be a toe touch. Turning the shower valve on and allow it to run out the spout until hot water flows out and then divert to the shower head. You use your foot to test the temperature of the water instead of sitting in cold water until the hot water arrives.

Comment

Working...
                X