X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft solder vs silver solder

Can I get some advise on where to use these two soldering methods please?

And the pros to cons if you would please.

Thx in advance.

Re: Soft solder vs silver solder

Originally posted by LOG_SPLITTER View Post
    Can I get some advise on where to use these two soldering methods please?

And the pros to cons if you would please.

Thx in advance.

Silver solder for underground connections, takes higher heat to accomplish

The other wire solder is used for indoor application only.

Silver solder connection is one that you almost cannot break apart down the road, but the copper being heated to that extremity can cause a weakness in the piping before the joint itself.

Wire solder has different melting points dictated by the alloys used. Lead solder has an extremely low melting point.

I've been using a surplus of solder (over 100 rolls) I bought years ago and haven't bought a roll of solder since then. Numerous brands and types, none were lead based however.

Plumbers have preferences to which ones work better than others in regards to melting points.

I personally just like the kind I can find in the pile when I need it.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
      Silver solder for underground connections, takes higher heat to accomplish

The other wire solder is used for indoor application only.

Silver solder connection is one that you almost cannot break apart down the road, but the copper being heated to that extremity can cause a weakness in the piping before the joint itself.

Wire solder has different melting points dictated by the alloys used. Lead solder has an extremely low melting point.

I've been using a surplus of solder (over 100 rolls) I bought years ago and haven't bought a roll of solder since then. Numerous brands and types, none were lead based however.

Plumbers have preferences to which ones work better than others in regards to melting points.

I personally just like the kind I can find in the pile when I need it.
      Its amazing you are still allowed to use soft solder as it was banned in Australia about thirty years ago because of its lead content and was used on copper capillary fittings for cold water services.

Tony

Comment

spot on duck

i like the free stuff that i got when we went to lead free. i took every free sample that was offered. i'll be go to hell if i can tell the difference. same with the new flux. all i do is repair. i'm on may last roll so i my have to buy some. 2 big tubs of flux left, should be good for life there. breid...................
        Last edited by breid1903; 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM. Reason: i'm illiterate

Comment

afm

we aren't. our soft solder is lead free. it has a higher melting point than 50/50. google "lead free solder". works in usa, may not in oz. breid..............

Comment

i'm assuming you're referring to brazing. 1100+ degrees.

we use to do all our mains with a t-drill and because the socket was only 1/4'' deep, brazing was required. but then we started to braze all our joints on the main. it was not unusual to have 6'' and smaller copper mains.

the neat thing was the lack of prep time as there was no flux to worry about. with the new water safe flux. this flux doesn't do well after a couple hours on the pipe or fitting. the days of prepping and falling back to solder are pretty much gone.

also as noted from dunbar. when copper is heated to that temperature, the copper gets annealed and softens. the line will move if not properly supported, and even with good hangers, they still move.

the rod, 5% silver is not cheap either. 5% had the best pasty range. nor is the oxy accy torches and gas. plus when brazing all day long, touching a hot pipe while trying to get the torch into position was always a concern. we all had a burn on our inner arms.

brazing brass fittings were also a no, no for us. we tried it, but found that the heat would melt the lead in the fittings and cause pin holes to develop down the road.

medical gas requires brazing, but it also requires a nitrogen purge and a med gas license.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thx for this information men.

Some good information here.

Comment

Working...
              X