X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprinkler systems

Can someone tell me what you need in a sprinkler system if your using PEX?
    I see that Uponor has a system and I'm just wondering about it.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: sprinkler systems

A Good insurance agent

Comment

and what is that suppose to mean?

Comment

Sorry
        i just wont lower my standers to a new miracle pipe.
        While the pipe is sitting there waiting for a fire any thing can make it a snack

Comment

sorry, 'make it a snack' ?

I'm not trying to be an ***, I get it you don't like it, I'm cool with that.
          Now I know this is not the original topic of the thread but I have 2 questions for you now

1) why

2) what do you prefer?

Just trying to figure it out.
          and I really appreciate everyones input good or bad, or crazy, lmol.

Comment

I have never worked with pex, would not even think about it for a residential sprinkler system. I have seen some pretty crappy installs out of cpvc so I could just imagine what pex would look like. Yes rats or rodents could chew a hole in pex or cpvc with ease, but pex can be kinked or pinched off (and I have seen this in plumbing installs).

cpvc is quick to install and makes a good looking job provided enough hangers are used, otherwise it is sagging and looks like crap, and the heads can be cock-eyed. The hangers are key for a good install, no queations asked.

steel pipe in residential work is not done too much, slow to install and life span of around 30 to 40 years before you will develop some leaks from rust through.

I have put in both cpvc and steel in residential, both concealed and exposed, each of them have their advantages and disadvantages just like everything else.

G3

Comment

disco

rodents (rats) like it. breid...............

Comment

Problem with all these new types of pipe is that it makes everybody an expert. At least it would seem that way. Easy to put two pieces together, virtually no elbows needed, just bend it around corners, let it droop between hangers (if you use them) lay it on the ground under things that can puncture it later. Put it in the ground for the little furry creatures to gnaw on.

It's too bad copper got to be so expensive and someone didn't come up with a wonder flux that phased out emery paper.
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Thanks guys,
                  lots of great points.

my only issue with copper is that if you have water sitting in copper tubing for any length of time and go to drink it. if tested the water would be deemed poision. You have to run it for at least 10min to get all the stuff out of it.
                  I do have copper in my place but we use a water filter.

Comment

When the water enter into the house "split it" into you dometic water and sprinkler water. Around here we are required to install double check backflow on the sprinkler side. Better yet just have a seperate tap for the sprinklers.

G3

Comment

my only issue with copper is that if you have water sitting in copper tubing for any length of time and go to drink it. if tested the water would be deemed poision. You have to run it for at least 10min to get all the stuff out of it.
                      I do have copper in my place but we use a water filter.
                      I think you are referring to the lead from the solder used to sweat the joints in copper plumbing. The copper in your plumbing in normal levels does not cause any ill effects to humans. In high concentrations it can produce nausea, vomiting and some other side effects but is extremely rare. Low PH and high dissolved oxygen in the water can cause copper to corrode and this is the blue staining you see. The filter you use will probably not take out the copper any more than it will take out anything else that could possibly harm you.

By the way, lead solder was outlawed many years ago. One of the plumbers here can probably tell you the exact year it happened.
                      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X