smelly locker room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smelly locker room

Hey all,my name is Jim I am a plumber at a township schools,and I am new at this end of the trade,heres my dilema,my one building is from the 1940's and there is a horrific sewer gas odor surrounding the gym and locker rooms. I have went and checked all cast iron lines above and below and surrounding the area in question and all is in good shape,no cracks,splits,or weepers in the lead. My thinking is that maybe there maybe a stack in the stone walls that could of split from expansion and contracting,and the smell is seeping through the walls and the heat of the building is worsening the stench 10 fold.Any other suggestions,I will be renting a camera and sending it down the roof vents to see if theres any breaks visible.

Re: smelly locker room

Check the floor drains, sink traps/overflows, and toilet caulking first.

J.C.

Comment

smoke test. unless there is some rule against it. i don't work for any govt. breid...........

Comment

breid you know there ain't no smoking in the boys room

G3

Comment

I agree with the smoke test! Peppermint oil works well too if you cant get away with the smoke. Good luck and keep us updated. This is an interesting one.
          www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

i would also check inside the lockers

you never know what might have been stored in there.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Got to say you guys are quick. I wouldnt hesitate to smoke that thing out. Recently helped out a mate by introducing him to my machine. He had a problem in the male toilets of the Barristors Chambers, place where all of those types gather. I first told him it was just normal because it is an inherrant part of their fraternity to smell but then we decided to look after teh health of everyone else. Within two minutes of firing up the smoke found a missing io cap on the back of a 70/30 junction.

Have no fear, just smoke it.

Comment

Hey guys , as far as the floor drains,I already went through the school and installed trap guards due to the age of the school being pre trap primer era.I forgot about the smoke and the pepermint,good idea,I'll have to get that ,but your right on one point there is no smoking in the boys room,well in this case the girls locker room.Rick I did check the lockers and it could be part of the problem, I found some sewer mice(Tampons)used in bags in some of the lockers( I know ewwwwww) guess the girls were embarresed. lol I will try the pepermint and I'll let you all know .... Thanks again,and I'm sure I will smell minty fresh all day myself

Comment

I work for a large school district also, and locker room smells are a common complant. Often times its a floor drain that has dried out and causing the smell. I try to train the Custodians to pour water down the ones that don't get much use. Since they don't make kids take showers anymore, the drains rarely see water. I sometimes pour vegitable oil down them (old plumbers trick) since oil doesn't evaporate, and the drain will still function if needed. Look for drains hidden by boxes, equipment, etc. Hope this helps.

Comment

i am in the process of breaking open some walls(luckey me)to find discarded drain lines,and vents pipes,but thanks for the feed back.

Comment

Working...
                    X