American Standard Vent Away Operation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Standard Vent Away Operation

I have an American Standard Vent Away toilet, tank #4052, from the mid-70s that I have rebuilt and have some questions about. I'll admit that I had no idea what a Vent Away was until I started working on the toilet. I've since read much about replacing these toilets or converting them to use conventional parts, but this toilet is a rich dark brown color that we like and it is in excellent condition so I chose to repair it. The fill valve, flush valve, flush handle and gaskets are all new.

The instructions on the underside of the lid state that the Vent Away action is initiated by pulling the flush handle up. The first problem is that this new handle - from Locke Plumbing and supposedly correct for the 4052 - does not move "up." It appears that lifting the handle could press down the rectangular loop surrounding the flush handle's arm connected to the flush valve chain. However, when I press the loop down and hold it for 10 seconds, nothing happens.

Can someone explain what I have here and why it is apparently not working? Are there any adjustments that I could make? The flushing action is good when the lever is pushed down. I know these toilets are not considered an engineering marvel, but I'm intrigued by gadgets and would like to see this work, especially after the time I have invested in it.

Thanks...
    Last edited by DumbPlumb; 02-09-2010, 05:56 PM. Reason: Instructions picture added

Re: American Standard Vent Away Operation

Someone will probably correct me on this but I believe the unit you have will start the venting with the same action of pushing the lever down when you flush the toilet.
    On the models that had the push button on the side you would have to pull the button out first and then push it in.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

As soon as you pull the handle up you should start the venting action
      when you push the loop down manually it should sound like the commode is running right away
      I had to reset a one piece AS with the vent away today it has the pull out handle to start the action
      I never paid attention to the handle on the 2 piece but it does pull up on the ones i have dealt with..
      Do you still have the old handle ?
      you could saw off the stop on the handle to make it work
      As much as you got in that tank now you cant stop

Comment

If you PM me your address I can send you the directions (from American Standard engineer) to convert to conventional by just replacing parts in the tank.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

not very common to see a 2 piece vent away.

first off, manually raise the loop guide to make sure the venting actually works. you might need to disconnect the handle to do this if it doesn't have enough upward travel.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Back in the 70's when I was first introduced to the vent away we would encounter major problems with them right out of the box. When the warranty guys from American Standard could not fix them I knew this toilet was a real winner. The trick with this toilet as with the one piece model is to pull out the vent away unit and install a long 1 1/2 plastic test plug. Sure it won't be a vent away any longer but you will not have any problems replacing the seat disc and when the ballcock that is in there fails, a fluid master will work just fine. One more thing, to get a better flush take a nickel (five cents) and bend it slightly with two pairs of pliers and then drop it down the tube on the tilt ***. This will allow the tilt *** to stay open a little longer giving you a better flush.

Comment

What exactly is the vent away supposed to accomplish? What was the major advantage to it and how does it work? I've never seen one or even heard about it until on this forum.

Comment

just as the name implies. it vents away the stench of the user

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

oddly enough when i was an apprentice i had a plumber tell me that these here toilets will revolutionize the plumbing industry because there self venting you wont have to run a vent thru the roof no more, needless to say i dont think he quite understood the concept, but they were and still our a pita to work on dont see to many anymore.

Comment

OK here is what I heard, In our neck of the woods it is required that a bathroom have a window or a ventilation fan. Somewhere along the line many years ago it was decided that for those interior bathrooms that did not have the ventilation this toilet would solve the problem. (this does not apply today) For those of you who do not know much about this toilet, on the one piece models you push in the handle to make it flush and you pull out the handle to kick in the vent away portion of the toilet. Water flowing from the ballcock into a box that is mounted in the tank will create a weak venturi type action that will pull the unpleasant odors from the interior of the bowl through the little holes around the rim. As it is in Los Angeles many people will buy expensive items just so they can be viewed in a different light by their guests. Over the years I have worked on hundreds of these vent away toilets and there was only one customer that was aware of how it worked yet they had never used this feature. With that in mind I started a crusade of making these toilets easier to work on by yanking out the vent away guts. Nobody missed a thing and all future repairs were in and out visits.

Comment

another thing to keep in mind. the vent away 1 pc. toilet requires an original a/s toilet seat. the cost for this seat now is close to $200 not to mention the labor to get to the 2 in tank nuts that hold the seat on. 1 can be gotten to. the other is impossible without removing the ventaway portion.

i don't miss them, but i still get customers wanting them fixed and not replaced. problem is in l.a. you need to replace to the low flow upon the sale of your home.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

As these go away, or become increasingly expensive to operate, suburbia will either change greatly or wiltaway.
                        kirkland plumbing | kirkland Plumbers | redmond plumbing | Plumbers issaquah

Comment

Gene, any chance I could get the directions to convert the Vent Away to conventional, too? Thanks.

Comment

p,m. me your address....I looked for them a couple months ago and couldn't find them..I seam to remember sending them to someone that said he would scan and send me a digital copy that I could just email to folks..I'm hoping I didn't decide to send my last copy..
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                            X