k-60 sectional

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-60 sectional

Hello. i was wondering if any of the k-60 users have a video on the proper way to use the k-60 (tricks, tips). i never used a sectional i have always used the drum style, and was going to purchase the k-60 but when i got on the ridgid site and seen there video , it was a very bad video. it looks like the instructor got the cable stuck a few feet into the drain. But any advice or videos would be appreciated............ thanks

Re: k-60 sectional

This oughta be good. Let the games begin.

Comment

double post sorry
      Last edited by Cuda; 02-10-2010, 09:33 AM. Reason: double post
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

No vid just advice.
        When using the k-60 almost never use reverse, If you do use it you must
        let the machine come to a full stop before switching to reverse or it just stays in forward. If you ever get stuck a super fast push down release on the handle to make it jump the cable will usually free it up. Real quick bam bam on the handle. If you are using reverse and press the cable against the side edge of pipe it will feed out like having a power feed. If you need to pull the cable back while in forward touch the cable to the side of the pipe and it will reverse a big loop out then you can shove it back in the k-60 and do it again till you have the cable freed up. Using this auto feed method you must practice or you can make to big of loop and hit yourself. And last the k-60 is pointed back wards to use it, the cable goes in from the back meaning the v shape of the handle is pointing toward the drain. All my guys the first time always used the k-60 backwacwards till I showed them.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

funny part is i use reverse a lot of times to use my secret weapon auger. also i use it with my spiral root saw to act as a hook in reverse and a cutter in forward.

never had an issue with cables while running in reverse.

the k-60 requires a good 2 hand coordination. as one applies pressure on the clutch handle, the other one guides the cable. release and pull more cable, clutch and feed and release and feed. honestly with the right rhythm, you can fly.

as cuda mentioned, the big auger threads its way in and out when needed. use it to your advantage.

joe, make us proud don't let us down this time

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Nowdays I use both hands on the cable a lot and use my knee or foot to engage the handle. I don't like reverse because it will screw the cable out and I loose my feel for what is happening in the pipe. I still have not made the reverse auger that you have rick but will when I break or destroy a cable.
            Last edited by Cuda; 02-10-2010, 12:13 PM.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              funny part is i use reverse a lot of times to use my secret weapon auger. also i use it with my spiral root saw to act as a hook in reverse and a cutter in forward.

never had an issue with cables while running in reverse.

the k-60 requires a good 2 hand coordination. as one applies pressure on the clutch handle, the other one guides the cable. release and pull more cable, clutch and feed and release and feed. honestly with the right rhythm, you can fly.

as cuda mentioned, the big auger threads its way in and out when needed. use it to your advantage.

joe, make us proud don't let us down this time

rick.
              I ordered this baby today, i will have it by the middle of next week. i am still going to keep my k7500 and k750 in my van until i get the hang of the k-60. but i will use each and every tip from you and the others. (i never stop learning new things no matter how many years of experience i have)
              thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                No vid just advice.
                When using the k-60 almost never use reverse, If you do use it you must
                let the machine come to a full stop before switching to reverse or it just stays in forward. If you ever get stuck a super fast push down release on the handle to make it jump the cable will usually free it up. Real quick bam bam on the handle. If you are using reverse and press the cable against the side edge of pipe it will feed out like having a power feed. If you need to pull the cable back while in forward touch the cable to the side of the pipe and it will reverse a big loop out then you can shove it back in the k-60 and do it again till you have the cable freed up. Using this auto feed method you must practice or you can make to big of loop and hit yourself. And last the k-60 is pointed back wards to use it, the cable goes in from the back meaning the v shape of the handle is pointing toward the drain. All my guys the first time always used the k-60 backwacwards till I showed them.
                does the k-60 make a mess , beings all the cable is on the back of the floor. i was going to see if i can make a round tub like holder, to set the cable in and drill a big hole so the hose guide can go through and this way when the cable comes back out it goes in the round tub and keeps the customers floor clean, is this a good idea or a bad one....

Comment

You'll probably make a little bit of a mess the first couple of times you use it, but after that you'll know how to do it without making a mess. The first few times I used mine indoors, I put down drop cloths and cardboard everywhere. After a few times of using it, now I just bring in a small drop cloth to set the machine and cable reel on and go to town. No mess when I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                    You'll probably make a little bit of a mess the first couple of times you use it, but after that you'll know how to do it without making a mess. The first few times I used mine indoors, I put down drop cloths and cardboard everywhere. After a few times of using it, now I just bring in a small drop cloth to set the machine and cable reel on and go to town. No mess when I'm done.

Good idea, thanks

Comment

The tub thing might work but it seems like a lot of trouble.
                      Plus the hole would have to be high enough on the side to contain spillage.
                      Not to mention it's one more thing to carry on the truck.
                      I just put the basket on a drop cloth behind the machine, disconnect the
                      guide hose, coil the cable into it, wrap it up and I'm outa there.
                      After you practice a little, you'll develop your own style.
                      Last edited by Big Jim; 02-10-2010, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                        The tub thing might work but it seems like a lot of trouble.
                        Plus the hole would have to be high enough on the side to contain spillage.
                        Not to mention it's one more thing to carry on the truck.
                        I just put the basket on a drop cloth behind the machine, disconnect the
                        guide hose, coil the cable into it, wrap it up and I'm outa there.
                        After you practice a little, you'll develop your own style.
                        what type of drop cloth do u use big jim. would one of those type that they use for oil spills work....

Comment

I use 1.5" abs and 3" abs sticks with different lengths and sometimes a fernco coupler to go around a doorway to spin the cables in and a drop cloth or tarp. If you are successful and clear the clog, then run hot water to clean the cables before you pull it out there is no mess just wet cables to take outside. If there is a problem I use my 3" abs stick to store multiple cables in, then change a head etc and go back in. I just have to be careful not to tip the abs pipe on the way out. I also usually put a fernco cap on one end if I have to tilt my pipe to get up stairs etc. So yea you make up your own ways to keep clean as you learn to use the k-60
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

i do more roof jobs than inside jobs

but when i'm inside, i'll use a mortar mixing tray to store my cage and cables. of course if you use 5/8'' the 7.5' cables are simple to store and keep in the tray.

the trick is to use water while you clear the line to keep the cables clean. there is no trick with a plugged kitchen sink and no way to wash it. a kitchen sink is the worst stoppage if you don't get water into it.

a toilet flange is simple and easy to get water into.

when i need to hands, my right forearm applies the clutch and frees up my right hand. typically i can auto feed the cable with the sectional wind and not worry about pushing. running in reverse has not been an issue. just sharpen the other side of the blades. reverse will auto feed in and forward will auto feed out. as long as you apply the cable to the edge of the pipe. this is used only when you need a helping hand

keep reading and running the machine. you'll be adding tips and tricks sooner than you know.

joe the plumber, don't let us down this time

you'll learn and be just like the rest of the k-60 lovers

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

As with Rick, most of my drain cleaning is roof top work, but when I
                              do have to go inside I use one of those mover's blankets to put
                              everything on. Yes, it does get a little grungy after a while, but
                              it's washable. I find it heavy enough not to slide around and it
                              absorbs all the water. Get two to have one for a spare.

Comment

Working...
                              X