Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backed Up pipes (possible Venting Issue)?

My Kitchen Sink, Dishwasher, and Half bath (1 sink and toilet) seem to be backing up. When I flush, it doesnt completely flush and I hear gurrgling or bubbling from my kitchen sink. When I use the kitchen sink, there is bubbling sounds from the toilet - and sometimes water from the sink (including small food particles) come up through the toilet. I have snaked the 3 in cast iron pipe all these items drain into. I have snaked 50 feets (30 feet out side my house) and nothing has changed.

Reading posts and other sites, could this be a venting issue?

Re: Backed Up pipes (possible Venting Issue)?

Are you on city sewer or septic?
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I am on a city sewer. I do not have a septic tank...

Comment

I'll let the plumber types respond then, other than to say you may not have gone far enough to reach the stoppage or you may have gone through it and it sealed up behind the cable.
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by damito042772 View Post
          My Kitchen Sink, Dishwasher, and Half bath (1 sink and toilet) seem to be backing up. When I flush, it doesnt completely flush and I hear gurrgling or bubbling from my kitchen sink. When I use the kitchen sink, there is bubbling sounds from the toilet - and sometimes water from the sink (including small food particles) come up through the toilet. I have snaked the 3 in cast iron pipe all these items drain into. I have snaked 50 feets (30 feet out side my house) and nothing has changed.

Reading posts and other sites, could this be a venting issue?
          It sounds like your vent might be clogged. depending on how many vents you have i would check your vent/vents. try going to the 3inch cast iron pipe that all your fixtures drain into and take a garden hose and turn it on and let the water go down the 3in drain, if the water backs up then you still have a clog in your 3in drain if the water flows good, then i would say to check your vent. there are homes that have more than one vent. Also you said you snaked out the 3in drain, what type of cable did you use. i would use a 7/8 or 3/4 inch cable with at least 100' of cable. But try the water and see if it flows good, let it run down the drain for a little bit to see if it back up, if it dont back up you can eliminat the main drain, and then if its a home go on the roof and snake out the vent, your in new york we just had all that snow , the snow might have clogged your vent on your roof, i have seen some crazy things that clog vents.
          Last edited by Joe the plumber; 02-10-2010, 05:24 PM. Reason: need to add more stuff

Comment

People always want it to be a simple clogged vent but truth is that is kinda rare. All the other fixtures would gurgle too. Does sound like you didn't go far enough or as said the stuff just sucked up to the cable like oatmeal. People always hire us after they have tried a 50ft 1/2" cable themselfs and need the bigger more dangerous snake.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

It's not a vent. It's never a vent. Was at a house today with no venting at all; s-traps, no vent on the toilet, nothing. Works fine except for the collapsed line serving the vanity sink.

It's a clog in the toilet line. You snaked it 50'. Either it's further out or you snaked it with something too small to open it up.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                It's not a vent. It's never a vent. Was at a house today with no venting at all; s-traps, no vent on the toilet, nothing. Works fine except for the collapsed line serving the vanity sink.

It's a clog in the toilet line. You snaked it 50'. Either it's further out or you snaked it with something too small to open it up.

WOW! what plumber did the plumbing there at that house, no vents or s-traps. im supprised they did not have slow running drain problems. and the smell of sewer gases coming up through there sinks with no traps...but as far as never a vent. i have had many clogged vent problems. most of the time its a birds nest in the vent. last week i had a call in pittsburgh, pa the customers toilet would not flush , i went on the roof and the vent for the toilet was completely covered with ice/snow and a big piece of ice blocked the top of the vent, i broke off the ice and moved all the snow away and the toilet now works great. don't get me wrong i don't get alot of clogged vents but i do get some..

Comment

No outside clean out?
                  Pull the toilet and snake from there.
                  Carefully run water while you're doing it.
                  Or, (God forbid) hire a pro.

Comment

Working...
                  X