X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange one. Clogged koi pond piping.

We have a 20 foot long koi pond with waterfalls and little river. The water is pumped underground in a 3" corrugated plastic pipe to the falls...3-4 feet of head at most. A piece of sticky rubber, that was supposed to be covering a hole in the return filter trap came loose and was half eaten by the pump (similar to waste pumps) and the rest went up the pipe and clogged it. The corrugated pipe runs 30 feet underground....under all my wife's perennials. I would really prefer NOT to have to dig up this pipe and suffer my wife's wrath but I've had no luck dislodging the clog with a snake. I can get the snake all the way through the clog but not move it. When I turn the pump back on the clog reseals itself. I even tried using a Ridgid SeeSnake to see what is going on but the clog is under muddy water and it isn't much help.

One thought I had was trying to locate where the clog was and then just digging up that section of pipe, cutting and cleaning it, and then splicing it back together (if that would even work.)

Any ideas?

Re: Strange one. Clogged koi pond piping.

I bet the 3" corrogated is collapsed.

That must be some pump to run a 3" line. I would try to use the corrogated pipe as a sleeve and run a new pipe inside of it. May work and may not, nothing to loose and could save some digging.

I don't understand what you are saying about the "sticky rubber" except that the pump ate it.

G3

Comment

The box that housed the filter (similar to an the overflow/return for a swimming pool) had a large hole in the side of it covered by a self adhesive sheet of rubber or rubber like material. The rubber came free and was sucked into the bottom of the pump. Much of it stuck to the impeller, but what didn't traveled up the pipe. The pump is this one...2" discharge going into an adapter and a 3" pipe.

http://www.tsurumipumpsales.com/tsur...es-p-1810.html

It is possible that the flexible pipe is collapsed...but not likely. The sidewalls are really strong.

Comment

You may want to try a Drain king (blow bag) or have it jetted.

I did a drain for a fish farm once and it had a ton of sludge in the lines.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Having 2 large koi ponds my self ,I see the need to get it up and running again
          You are sure the pump is not clogged or right at the 2" x 3" connection..
          Are you running the pump when you try to push through the clog it might help blow it out
          can you move the pump to the other end of the pipe and use it to back flush it

Comment

Are all your fish accounted for?
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post

Koi don't swim upstream to spawn...
              www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                Having 2 large koi ponds my self ,I see the need to get it up and running again
                You are sure the pump is not clogged or right at the 2" x 3" connection..
                Are you running the pump when you try to push through the clog it might help blow it out
                can you move the pump to the other end of the pipe and use it to back flush it
                The 2x3" angle adapter is wide open. The pump is brand new. When not hooked to the pipe it shoots a mountain of water (which I learned when the press fit pipe connection popped off!) I had to replace the old one which blew a bearing (probably didn't help that the rubber goop got on the impeller.)

I tried unclogging it with and without the pump running. Seemed to be impossible to unclog with it running. I can punch through a tight area but it only drains very slowly back down...so I'm not clearing the clog. It is like I'm punching through paste.

To move to the other end would require digging up the filter/waterfall. I did try one of those flush clean systems which consisted of a rubber bladder that fills the pipe with a hole in it...it just blows up like a balloon from the back pressure but doesn't move the clog.

The fish would get pretty chopped up by the impeller to make it up there.

Comment

Can you use the blow bag at the water fall to keep pressure in the line and keep poking at it from the other end ?

I dont know how easy it is to get through to the clogged spot
                  if you can get a hose to the clog and hook it up to a wet vac it might suck out the muck...

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                    Can you use the blow bag at the water fall to keep pressure in the line and keep poking at it from the other end ?

I dont know how easy it is to get through to the clogged spot
                    if you can get a hose to the clog and hook it up to a wet vac it might suck out the muck...
                    That is a good idea. I didn't try that. I need to go back and rent the biggest snake they have at HD and start from the pump side. There are no angles coming from that side (there is a tight 90 bend on the waterfall side.) At the same time I should run the bladder on the waterfall side. It would be nice if I could get it drained enough to see what is happening but I'm afraid it might not even be a constant slope from one side to the other so it might retain water.

Comment

Well elephant trunk is CHEAP , and the worst garbage in the world ! It gets crushed after
                      underground , as drainage pipe. It's now outlawed by city Eng. in Many towns.
                      Home owners still buy this JUNK cause It's CHEAP ! Power rodding may blow through it !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

What's for dinner ?
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                        X