Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melted Water Pipe Extinguishes House Fire

Now I know why Pex is so AWESOME!

KAYSVILLE -- A house fire in Kaysville grew so hot it created a means to put itself out.
    Three family members were home near 1600 South and 500 East around 3 a.m. Tuesday when they discovered fire in the utility room next to the furnace and fuse box. The flames quickly traveled up to the basement ceiling.
    All of the residents got out of the house safely.
    Kaysville Asst. Fire Chief Mike Egginton says the fire melted a plastic water pipe, and the leaking water doused the blaze.
    "I could hear something in there rushing, and it sounded like it was actual fire, but it ended up being the spray from the water. It put (the fire) out pretty quick, it looked like," he says. Investigators say something stored too close to the furnace likely started the fire

Re: Melted Water Pipe Extinguishes House Fire

A GOOD REASON TO HAVE A HOME FIRE SPRINKLER SYSTEM
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

[QUOTE=Chemeng;280906]Now I know why Pex is so AWESOME!

KAYSVILLE -- A house fire in Kaysville grew so hot it created a means to put itself out.
      Three family members were home near 1600 South and 500 East around 3 a.m. Tuesday when they discovered fire in the utility room next to the furnace and fuse box. The flames quickly traveled up to the basement ceiling.
      All of the residents got out of the house safely.
      Kaysville Asst. Fire Chief Mike Egginton says the fire melted a plastic water pipe, and the leaking water doused the blaze.
      "I could hear something in there rushing, and it sounded like it was actual fire, but it ended up being the spray from the water. It put (the fire) out pretty quick, it looked like," he says. Investigators say something stored too close to the furnace likely started the fire[/ Just Maybe the RATS were eating through the pex at the same time !
      Do a search on Pex and RAT leaks ! OH MY GOD THEY DID IT AGAIN! GO COPPER!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I do think its great the fire was put out
        The sprinkler system did its job
        But with any plastic pipe & heat
        I feel like { look mom no hands }
        But its , Look I {don't even need sprinkler heads}
        It does save money on installation i gotta give em that

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
          im looking to move to Maine some day .the houses im looking at are way out of town and on some small roads . is there a dry sprinkler system for houses ,im thinking of a freezing problem

and what water pressure and gpm do you need
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

yes they do make a dry system but it is not

used in home installations,

what i would suggest is a combo system

that cross connects with the potable

water though the ceilings,

this keeps the water refreshed so it will

not stagnate so also keeps from freezing

as you would insulate the pipes or tubing

just the same :d

JERRYMAC
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

THE PRIMARY REASON FOR HOME SYSTEMS IS

LIFE SAFETY TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE IN THE

HOUSE AND SECONDARY IS TO PROTECT PROPERTY

JERRYMAC
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                Jerry I don't like the idea of a sprinkler system in the house......
                About once a year I fill my house with smoke cooking something and if that would set off the sprinkler system then I would have a mess on my hands. I have a few smoke detectors one in the kitchen, in my kids bedroom and once in our hall way. I think that is good enough?
                I am not sure how they work can you fill me in on some of the details of these systems. Are they heat sensitive or smoke sensitive?

Comment

They are heat sensitive at the head itself. Pay no attention to the hollywood movies that show all of the sprinklers going off at the same time in a building (there are systems made like that (deluge, where all of the heads are open, no glass bulb or fusible link) but for extreme high risk areas; tanks, conveyors, fueling stations, airplane hangers, etc.). The heads in a residential system mostly would be 155* F, and if one head goes off the rest do not, unless they also reach 155*.

I really don't understand why most people are so afraid of residential sprinkler systems. Water damage can come from many things in the house and I would guess most home owners do not even know where the main shut off valve for their domestic water is located, let alone any tools or "street key" to turn it off at the curb.

G3

Comment

It said Plastic pipe not pex. Could it be Cpvc or Polybutelene?

Comment

Jerry mac
                      Why dont they want to push the use a dry system in a home ?
                      If you live in the north . or south this winter were the ceiling would mean attic ... that would scare the heck out of me to have lines just sitting up there full..
                      And then lose your power because of a ice storm

Comment

..................and pex is made out of what??????

Comment

my guess would be that it was not PEX

A few years ago a Fire Marshall showed me a video on his laptop that showed fire testing of PEX.

The 3/4" PEX looked about 3" or better (rather thin at that point) when exposed to the heat.

I'll see if I can find the video online somewhere.

Comment

i live in indiana. we have a slab house. i put all of our potable water in the ceiling. nary a problem. breid............

Comment

Dry systems are expensive up front to install..........dry valve, air compressor, all steel pipe, larger pipe, yearly trip test and reset, more install labor, dry pendent heads, larger incoming water line, etc.

For most of the housing contractors it would be cost prohibitive. Most people only see water damage and not the life saving aspect of it. From all of the fires in a properly sprinklered (and maintained) building that I have seen, usually 1 to 5 heads will put the fire out before the fire dept. even gets there. I have seen three sprinklered buildings that burnt to the ground or gutted beyond repair, but the water was turned off.

G3

Comment

Working...
                              X