X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel heater pipes?

50 yr old NY home. Have had 2 of my wallboard radiators develop leaks so far this winter. Have found the pipes going to/from manifolds to be steel. Have had several HD "Master Plumbers" tell me I'm nuts...yeah okay I put a magnet to them and can see, touch, feel...Anyways, they appear to be soldered at the fittings on the ends, but (again) was told "you can't solder steel, therefore they have to be copper". What is the best way to fix. I am considering going to all pex (but $ at his point very tight). Also this is all 1/2 " lines, there are no bleeders on the wall units, any help?
    "Don't baffle me with B.S., Dazzle me with Brilliance"

Re: Steel heater pipes?

Home Dumpster may not bee the best place for advice on boiler systems!
    Copper will work fine in the galvanized pipes steed.
    Pay a few dollars to a qualified boiler/heat tech so you are set straight in regards to your system.

Comment

Re: Steel heater pipes?

Appreciate the words, but as you can tell by my post I have no confidence in "Home Dumpster" people, was looking for an answer to the steel pipe issue, as well as advice on the pex. As far as "qualified", I have twice had repairman to my home, and twice have found my knowledge and training over the years with heating systems to be far superior to what I've come across. No offense but, good plumber/heat techs are few and far.
      "Don't baffle me with B.S., Dazzle me with Brilliance"

Comment

Working...
      X