Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoeller 267 Issue

Hello experts,

I have a 4 year-old Zoeller 267 ejector pump which services a downstairs bathroom that is rarely used. Recently the pump started tripping the circuit breaker. I would unplug the pump, reset the breaker, and when I plugged the pump back it would immediately trip the breaker again without the motor making a sound. I opened up the basin and found that the pump was completely submerged. I removed the pump to find a blockage in the impeller. I removed the blockage and made sure I could turn the impeller with my hand. I replaced the motor and plugged it in. Again it immediately tripped the breaker. Thinking that maybe it was because it was submerged I removed the pump again and took it outside and placed it in a trash can. I then added just enough water to raise the float all the way. Using a long extension cord I plugged it in again and again the breaker tripped.

So...is it dead? Would one clog on a very lightly used pump kill the motor? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Re: Zoeller 267 Issue

examine the cord at the connection to the pump. look for a tear or possible swelling.

since the 1 year warranty has passed, you might as well unscrew the 4 screws/ 3/8'' nut driver and remove the top cover.

this is done by unplugging from the power first unscrewing the 1 screw that hold the protective cage around the float and locks in the lifting handle. then grab the 3/8'' nut driver to remove the 4 top screws. gently tap the cover to jar it loose. look for water/ moisture inside this compartment. there is a starting relay that might also be shot. look for any dampness and water droplet stains.

don't remove the lower half that houses the motor and oil.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

That which was in the impeller that jammed the pump up, most likely destroyed that pump.

A 267 runs in the $200+ range.

It takes a lot to jam up a sewage ejector pump, but it is no match for items that don't belong in the waste system.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

In my experience as well, if a pump has been jammed fora period of time it burns out the motor.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thank you for the quick replies. I figured the "automatic
          reset thermal overload protection" would protect it from burning out in this situation. I'll take off the top and take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by todd01 View Post
            Thank you for the quick replies. I figured the "automatic
            reset thermal overload protection" would protect it from burning out in this situation. I'll take off the top and take a look.
            The thermal overload protection only works a few times. Also being in a pit of water which helps cool the pump off changes when the thermal overload protection kicks in. Here is a question and the first thing I look for when I open up a pump pit. Was there any oil floating on the water?

Comment

I didn't notice any oil. Would it be black oil? It's the first time I've opened a pit so not sure what it was suppose to look like.

Comment

If there was an oil in the pit you would see it for sure and feel it when you pulled out the pump. If there was oil that would of meant one of the seals on the motor went bad. I would check the part Rick mentioned, if there is no water inside the switch housing then you motor is burned out.

Comment

Was it a hard blockage like a peice of wood or rock of some sort? A #267 usually does a decent job of handling tampons and paper towels.

Honestly, it's hardly worth the repair but if you feel up to it pull the top and look for moisture like Rick said.

There was a recall of Zoellers pumps about this age by the CPSC a while back with a shorting issue. Not sure if the #267 was on the list but worth checking out.

Comment

I saw that recall but the 267 was not on the list. The blockage was not hard. Have not been able to identify it yet but it was like part of the head of a mop. I have young daughters so we think it might be part of a doll like the hair.

Here's another question... Do I need to worry about emptying the pit before replacing the pump (whether I fix this one or get a new one)?? Since the pump was not working the water level is now above the top of the pump so it will be submerged. Since this is a "submersable" pump I assume it should be OK. It will just run as soon as I connect the power since the float switch will be raised. Any issue with that?

Comment

Just set the new pump in the pit (unplugged from the outlet) connect up the pipes and plug it in and watch the water go away.

Comment

and then pick he float up by hand and pump it down as far as you can, then get a wet vac and suck out the rest of the water and make sure it's not hiding the rest of the doll parts lurking in there wating to kill your new pump.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

OK, good. Was not looking forward to having to somehow empty the pit. So I took the top off the 267 and saw no sign of water or anything shorted out. So I guess it's dead. Went out looking at replacements yesterday at Home Depot and Lowes. Given that this is for one rarely used full bathroom do you think I need a 1/2 HP or would a 1/3 HP work just fine? I was looking at either the Rigid SEP 500 (1/2 HP) or the Flotec 1/3 HP at Home Depot. What would you suggest between the two? Given that this is the "Rigid Forum" I think I know the answer. Thanks again for all the help guys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by todd01 View Post
                            OK, good. Was not looking forward to having to somehow empty the pit. So I took the top off the 267 and saw no sign of water or anything shorted out. So I guess it's dead. Went out looking at replacements yesterday at Home Depot and Lowes. Given that this is for one rarely used full bathroom do you think I need a 1/2 HP or would a 1/3 HP work just fine? I was looking at either the Rigid SEP 500 (1/2 HP) or the Flotec 1/3 HP at Home Depot. What would you suggest between the two? Given that this is the "Rigid Forum" I think I know the answer. Thanks again for all the help guys!!!
                            Do you have an Ace Hardware near by? If so go get a Zoeller. If not go to a plumbing supply house and get a Zoeller or a Hydromatic SKV 50.

Comment

sorry ridgid, but I can't recommend their pupm unless they've fixed the switch. been a rash of complaints about the switch, pump itself seems to be fine. I replace a lot of zoellers, but I think it's more to do with how many are out there that it being a bad brand/model.

stay away from anything with a fancy electronic switch, stick with an old school float switch. The pigtail ones work fine if there is room for them to swing up and down w/o getting hung up on something, and are more adjustable. the ones mounted right to the pump body work ok too, are less adjustable, but are more compact and aguably less prone to fouling, at least in a tight pit.

hp probably not a concern depending how high you have to pump it. of more concern is solids/paper handling capability. a true grinder is the most maintenance free option, but they need 220V and are high $. 267 is called a 'sewage ejector' but tampons will plug it and sometimes kill it. in general, the bigger pump you get the less you'll have to pull it and dig junk out of it, but bigger is not neccesarily better. you probably want something small and solids/paper capable, which in my experience does not exist. 267 not much better than an n98 in that regard, but only marginally more expensive.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X