X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater temps. And dish washers

OK, I set W.HS. to 120 F. I've read water entering D.W. should be 140 F..
    Our home is on a slab on grade ,so no pipe changes are easily possible.
    Our D.W. isn't doing a good cleaning job. I read about pulling the spinner arm off and checking holes for blockages. Home is all copper ,No Galvy. Thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Water heater temps. And dish washers

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    OK, I set W.HS. to 120 F. I've read water entering D.W. should be 140 F..
    Our home is on a slab on grade ,so no pipe changes are easily possible.
    Our D.W. isn't doing a good cleaning job. I read about pulling the spinner arm off and checking holes for blockages. Home is all copper ,No Galvy. Thanks Tool
    In my case, the kitchen is way far from the water heater. I have a point-of-use rig for the kitchen sink (works GREAT) but the water entering the DW is sometimes stone-cold. My old (Maytag) and new (Kitchen Aid) both just wait until the internal heater gets the water up to temp. If your machine works the same way, I doubt if water temp is the problem... unless your DW heater element is going out? Should be easy to test the water temp, at the start and also mid-cycle.

Many of these machines have screens that get clogged with food debris. This can cause performance issues. Do you still have the user manual?

There was one DW brand - damn, I've forgeotten which one now- that I researched before buying that was known to have small holes that were prone to clogging. It might have even been the Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid. Not an issue for me, I have soft water and pre-rinse even though they say you don't have to.

I found with my old Maytag (it was a good reliable machine) that there was a big difference in the cleaning performance depending on what cycle I used. The new machine doesn't seem to be quite as picky.

Please post back on what you learn!

Comment

Run the hot water on your kitchen faucet till the water gets hot, then turn on DW. This will help some.

Comment

How old is your dishwasher and what brand is it?
        Most if not all of the newer dishwashers address water temperature by having an internal
        heating element ring.

As the dishwasher senses the need for increasing the water temperature it will activate it's
        heater.

Perhaps if your dishwasher has an internal heater it may have failed.

Cactus Man

Comment

Dishwashers are a problem. Read the manual.Many of todays dishwashers will have in small print concerns with spotty glassware,plates state that these will have to be washed by hand. I find this amazing that it is included in the manuals.

Some types of soaps leave a film and spots. As another has suggested run the water until it reaches 120. The booster heater will take it from 120 to 140.

Comment

Pretty much the issues have been addressed:
            ► DW detergent MUST have hot water to work
            ► 140ยบ is dangerously hot to set the WH that high, so we rely on the DW wash temp boost.
            ► The DW uses very little water. In many housed, the water will still be cold when the wash cycle is full, so it is essential to run a tap for a minute or few just before starting the DW.

Comment

Working...
            X