X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pump in well broken

Hello! My family and I have been without water for about a month now, and it has been snowing alot. Needless to say, it has been a trial! All I can say is at least we can melt snow for some things!

Anyway, we have had plumbers out to look, and they said the pump is broken in the well. Underground about 200 feet and all gallvanized steel.

We have asked the only well-guy in the area to fix it, but he will not return our calls. We even have a friend offer a pump he is not using for free. But still no response.

We are getting desperate. We have very little money, and no help.

What should we do? Does anyone know any one in the area or near the area that can help? If you do I would greatly appreciate a phone number or website. Anything at all!

Re: pump in well broken

get a couple friends over (you'll need bodies; 200' of galvy isn't going to be light.) pull it yourself and put your friend's pump in. Not difficult knowledge wise, just heavy.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I have windmills, and use the tower on the mill to help pull the well,

depending on the age of the pipe, (in our area and would guess across the country)
      the old pipe was (i think 18' long) and the newer pipe is 21' long, you need at least 25 or more feet of head room in my opinion, on what ever one uses as a lifting device,

I have seen used electrical poles set on each side of the well and a heavy beam set across to attach a pulley to, and one can use a truck to pull the well, run the cable up to the top pulley and then back down to one of the base supports, (have it very solid, set in the ground), and to a second pulley, and then to the front of the truck, (prefer to use a stick shift), (why to the front of the truck, you can see what your doing),

I use a winch, that I have a pad that I bolt it down, some have used a winch on the front of a truck,

and I have used the old block and tackle that was used with a team or horses or by hand,

I have what is called "elevators" a special clamp to attach to the pipe, I like the pipe elevator as they will work as a second set of safteys, they are also used in pairs, and have another system (second piture) for 1 1/4" pipe, and use the pipe dog, but one can take a nipple about 12" long and put a hole in the upper side of to run the cable through and thread it into the pipe as a pulling unit, just more time, in changing it out, from pipe to pipe,

the second and may be most important item is some to hold the pipe to keep it from falling back in the well,

there are a number of thing designed for this, I have heard them called pipe dogs,
      but one would at least want a quality pipe vise one can clamp on to the pipe and keep it from falling back in the well casing, some times off of ebay one can find a pipe dog for about $30, but even if you use the old "farmers" well dog, it is best to use a second system to work as a safety, some times they can slip,

I have made "U" plates that will just fit the pipe for safeties, that will catch the coupling,

one more safety, when you pull out the pipe, (sounds like a sub pump) lay out your wire away from the work area, and keep it neat and organized,

if you drop the pipe in the well, you do not want some one leg to get caught by the wire and wrap around it and pull some one up to the well head and take some ones leg off,

have some thing to set your pipe on and some posts or some thing to lay the pipe on when out of the hole,

you will need 2 24" pipe wrenches,

when going back in swap a few of the pipe around and put some of the better pipe back down first, (inspect all pipe for holes),

tape the wire to the pipe in various intervals,

becarefull and use some common sense, the pipe is heavy and will be (most likely) full of water coming up, dope your thread going back together,

make sure what ever you use for a lifting structure is sound and strong,

below will be some pictures of things, I have done on my place, (most of the tools I have have been custom made, beside the pipe dog and the wrenches,
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BHD; 02-20-2010, 11:57 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i'd be careful trying to pull 200' of galvy by hand if you've never done it before. Its a good way to end up with a pump broken off or dropped to the bottom of the well. if yours gonna do it remember slow and steady, pulling pumps isn't rocket science but if you screw it up your really gonna be spending some money.

Comment

some more pictures
          when using the elevators, (which I only have for the 2" pipe, I just use the "U" plate,

but when using the 1 1/4" I use the other lift unit, I copied one similar to what Baker once make they may still,

I do not like the side clamp unit, (ranchers pipe dog lifter) it makes it hard to start the pipe and it tweaks the pipe, mine was made by a black smith, it was made by a black smith,
          a place one can buy tools for pipe setting http://www.deanbennett.com/pipe-tools.htm

the old block and tackle and some of the old equipment was my grand fathers when he homesteaded the place,

I think the pictures will give one some idea of what is involved,

(NOTE: that winch is bolted to a block of cement about 4 foot down in the earth, and is about 2x3 foot on top, the bolts are deep in the cement)

but use a yoke vice, or chain and use it as a safety,

if you do lose the pipe RUN, do not try to catch it, get away from any thing that could be pulled down,

wear some hard hats, gloves,
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BHD; 02-20-2010, 11:59 AM.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            some more pictures
            when using the elevators, (which I only have for the 2" pipe, I just use the "U" plate,

but when using the 1 1/4" I use the other lift unit, I copied one similar to what Baker once make they may still,

I do not like the side clamp unit, (ranchers pipe dog lifter) it makes it hard to start the pipe and it tweaks the pipe, mine was made by a black smith, it was made by a black smith,
            a place one can buy tools for pipe setting http://www.deanbennett.com/pipe-tools.htm

the old block and tackle and some of the old equipment was my grand fathers when he homesteaded the place,

I think the pictures will give one some idea of what is involved,

(NOTE: that winch is bolted to a block of cement about 4 foot down in the earth, and is about 2x3 foot on top, the bolts are deep in the cement)

but use a yoke vice, or chain and use it as a safety,

if you do lose the pipe RUN, do not try to catch it, get away from any thing that could be pulled down,

wear some hard hats, gloves,
            You shine on this one! Good job
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

thank you for the replies!

Comment

I wish some of that WALL STREET bailout Money went to folks like these !

Yes I got political ! Why the Hell Not!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

when I helped my SIL, he was able to get a small boom truck that a neighbor had, and worked very well.

the chart I looked at says 1 1/4" steel pipe weighs 2.27 pounds per foot, and water in a pipe of 1 1/4" weighs .537 pounds, so say 2.8 pounds the pipe is about 560 pounds on 200 feet, of it you have the pump and the wire so figure at least 600 pounds, or maybe a little more,
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

if you can afford it you might replace gal pipe with poly. weighs a lot less. breid...............

Comment

That was really interesting BHP and the photos were great as a city plumber I have never come across replacing or repairing well pumps or piping.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                      X