Outdoor faucet leaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor faucet leaking

It's one of those faucets that can take a hose connection. It starts leaking when turned on from under the nut which is below the handle. I tried a simple fix by unscrewing the nut to get to the stem and packing under the nut with the packing stuff you can buy. It briefly fixed it and it is back to leaking again.

Is it possible to repair these by removing the stem. Also do you need to remove the handle to do this - there is a screw but it seems to be on really tight and I'm not sure how best to get it off.

Re: Outdoor faucet leaking

I've been slowly moving away from teflon string packing as I cannot guarantee it will hold up.

Find out the mfg's name of the faucet and contact them for OEM replacement parts to resolve this matter.

If this is a woodford faucet, I strongly recommend replacement with only their parts.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks Dunbar. Well I had a look and it was somewhat hard to see who the manufacturer is as the bib had been painted to match the exterior of the house and even had some stucco overspray on it. In any event I was able to scratch off enough to be able to see the letters "ABP" on one side and "USA" on the other. Pic below.

I checked on the web and I found a company called Arrowhead Brass Products that have hose bibs and stamp ABP in the same way as on the faucet I have. Does anyone know if they are the correct manufacturer.

Would a plumbing supply place sell these parts or would I have to get it directly from the manufacturer.

Comment

I would go to Arrow Brass Products website, link them the thread here and tell them you need the parts for the faucet.

They most likely will send you the parts @ no cost given you're just needing such a inexpensive component. Ask for a replacement seat washer as well.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

by the looks of that faucet i think i would scrap it and install a new one!!

Comment

Thanks again Dunbar.

by the looks of that faucet i think i would scrap it and install a new one
            Yes I did think about doing that but my concern is the pipe run (not shown) which I only recently installed for the irrigation system that runs from the faucet into the concrete slab. I'm assuming that there is a high likelyhood that the replacement won't be exactly the same size as the original and the pipe may not connect. I don't look forward to having to redo the pipe.

Comment

no guts-no glory!!!!!

Comment

Yeah no guts for sure. I guess I'll live without the glory. The whole yard remodel has turned into a much larger project - I still have a long way to go to complete it and am trying to avoid any further things as much as possible that could delay it . I just broke one of the irrigation valves and am trying to fix it right now.

Comment

Ask your friends/neighbors who they use for a licensed plumber. Contact him and have him replace that dinosaur.

Comment

Working...
                  X