---weird--- Commercial Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ---weird--- Commercial Question

Anybody know anything about a man hole inside a business. This building is about 60 years old I'll get the exact soon I hope. It use to be a dry cleaning business, now they want to turn into a catering restaurant business. The man hole cover is right in front of the soon to be totally demo'ed bathrooms. I'm gonna have to bust alotta concrete to see what I got. Lotsa questions are gonna come from this job. It seems like its gonna be a blast. I think I might use some tnt.
    Is the man hole in the back of the place going to effect anything??
    It is full of some nasty right now, soon it will be empty for further info.

Re: ---weird--- Commercial Question

anybody on this early??

Comment

Dry cleaning chemicals are hazerdous to your health soil & air samples should be taken. Don't drink the water

Comment

yeah, we lifted up that man hole cover and it was REAL NASTY it had this mold{thick,white & black growth looking junk} on it like you've never seen.the smell was very strong too. I felt bad later in the day too. weak and depressed feeling. ?? Man that was some bad looking stuff in there. I don't know how deep that thing goes either. or even if it is the sewer or storm drain, hell , I just don't know yet. I 've never seen one in an establishment before, Have you??
        Last edited by Gulo Luscus; 02-20-2010, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Could it be the old lint interceptor? I have seen manhole covers used on grease traps and when they extended and remodeled the building the grease trap was now inside the building.

I have one client that purchased a home and this home has been remodeled without permits and the addition was built over a septic tank. The home has two septic tanks one in the rear and one on the side of the home.

Comment

My gut reaction is this is an old flammable waste tank.
            Call in someone to pump this crap out then have a good look at all your
            floor drains and see if they have traps (Hold water)
            or are 'dry pan drains' (Hold no water,drain out the side direct to the tank)
            Good luck.

Comment

hello gulo luscus. hello wolverine. breid..................

Comment

You are in over Your head ! Got a home to lose??? I see a heart ache coming!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                  My gut reaction is this is an old flammable waste tank.
                  Call in someone to pump this crap out then have a good look at all your
                  floor drains and see if they have traps (Hold water)
                  or are 'dry pan drains' (Hold no water,drain out the side direct to the tank)
                  Good luck.
                  Its for your new poster Girl

Comment

Lint trap, grease trap, those sound like definite maybe's. There are no floor drains.{ they need them} there ARE 2 drains on either side of the man hole one is c/o, the other may have a trap not sure yet but is holding water. {Gotta run a snake}. Thank all of you for your responses very much. I'm going back out tomorrow to play some more. Hopefully they'll have that hole cleaned out. will give update as soon as I find out.
                    I really don't know if I want this job or not. I just don't have a choice @ this point. permit or contract has not been agreed upon yet.

Comment

wuts up breid.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gulo Luscus View Post
                        Anybody know anything about a man hole inside a business. This building is about 60 years old I'll get the exact soon I hope. It use to be a dry cleaning business, now they want to turn into a catering restaurant business. The man hole cover is right in front of the soon to be totally demo'ed bathrooms. I'm gonna have to bust alotta concrete to see what I got. Lotsa questions are gonna come from this job. It seems like its gonna be a blast. I think I might use some tnt.
                        Is the man hole in the back of the place going to effect anything??
                        It is full of some nasty right now, soon it will be empty for further info.

There's a reason a manhole is outside in the street and not inside a building.

Regardless of what's in it, get the hell out of there. The headache and weak feeling ain't worth it.

Neither is the possible liability. Take toolaholic's advice - he's been around long enough to know when to walk away from a job.
                        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

ok I'll take it. thank GOD I have some more work lined up. thank all you for your helpful information. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                            There's a reason a manhole is outside in the street and not inside a building.

Regardless of what's in it, get the hell out of there. The headache and weak feeling ain't worth it.

Neither is the possible liability. Take toolaholic's advice - he's been around long enough to know when to walk away from a job.
                            Actually you would be surprised how many outside manholes are now inside manholes. Lots of stuff gets lost over the years and all of a sudden the manhole is in the warehouse of the auto parts store.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

So......how many missing people are down those inside manholes???
                              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X