X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 elec water . commercial vs residential

Big difference in cost. Why ? and what are the power requirements for both ? Thank's
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 120 elec water . commercial vs residential

A residential electric water heater will almost always be a single phase, 240 volt circuit that needs a thirty amp breaker because only one element will fire at a time.

A commercial electric water heater can come in single phase, three phase, 208 volts, 240 volts, 440 volts, or some other combination I'm probably forgetting about right now. They also need bigger breakers because all the elements can fire at once if need be. I just put a 120 gallon electric in a restaurant here that fires all nine elements at once. That makes a big difference in the price.

Comment

tool

www.grainger.com. model #3CFH6. i've never installed one, but i service one on occasion. breid...................

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
        A residential electric water heater will almost always be a single phase, 240 volt circuit that needs a thirty amp breaker because only one element will fire at a time.

A commercial electric water heater can come in single phase, three phase, 208 volts, 240 volts, 440 volts, or some other combination I'm probably forgetting about right now. They also need bigger breakers because all the elements can fire at once if need be. I just put a 120 gallon electric in a restaurant here that fires all nine elements at once. That makes a big difference in the price.
        Bet that electric meter wants to spin right off the housing when they all fire up at once.

Comment

the three i service are in a motel. breid.............

Comment

The difference is in the expected usage. A residential unit would be expected to serve maybe a shower in the morning, couple of loads in the washer 3 days week, dishwasher, couple of showers at night.

If you tasked it to supply its full rated gallons per hour, 12 to 20 hours a day, it would have a fairly short life expectancy

Comment

lovee is right. also you will run out of hot water. it just takes longer with a 120 gal reservoir than say a 30. but you will get there. just think of a bunch of grandkids taking long and/or back to back showers. lol. ask me how i would know. with a commercial unit it will keep you in hot water for a long time. breid.....................

Comment

Working...
              X