Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX question for the experts

Hi,

I've been reading on many forums about PEX and the various opinions regarding it's use.

I will be using PEX for an application I have reworking the domestic water supply in my own house. If the working and living space would allow for the relatively easy use of copper I would use it. I have another house I've done where I did use copper, it's just not a workable option here and now.

I've seen where a few vocal people on the forums don't like PEX so I ask them........

If you had to use PEX which system or product line would you use?

Re: PEX question for the experts

Originally posted by mtne View Post
    Hi,

I've been reading on many forums about PEX and the various opinions regarding it's use.

I will be using PEX for an application I have reworking the domestic water supply in my own house. If the working and living space would allow for the relatively easy use of copper I would use it. I have another house I've done where I did use copper, it's just not a workable option here and now.

I've seen where a few vocal people on the forums don't like PEX so I ask them........

One that is compatible with the environment you will be installing it in. You may need to find a local plumber to answer that question.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      One that is compatible with the environment you will be installing it in. You may need to find a local plumber to answer that question.

Mark
      City water, closed chaseway, protected and supported with no UV exposure.

Or do I misunderstand the question?

Comment

City water, closed chaseway, protected and supported with no UV exposure.

Or do I misunderstand the question?
        I am remotely aware of your source water and your three treatment plants but only a local plumber will know if the water from your treatment plant has any adverse affect on PEX materials or fittings. You may want to at least check with an experienced service plumber to see if any of the materials are having problems.

Mark

Comment

mtne: There is a lot of pex installed here where I live. Understand that in an industry like plumbing, some new products and materials take a long time to gain acceptance. Even then, all the pros have their own opinion on what is great and what is garbage. Some + about pex: Being a poly(type of plastic) tubing, it is inert and unharmed by most water chemistry no matter where you live. It's flexible to a point and easy to work with. If you plan your bends, you can do away with a lot of joints. Been used in Europe for years; never heard of it "pinholing" because of harsh water. Now, the -'s of pex: Not a ridgid pipe; offers no structural support for a fixture. As you know, UV can and will take it's toll. Many say "critters" will chew into tubing for water source. My biggest gripe with pex is the fittings; they can be restrictive as they are sharp and go inside the pipe; cpvc, copper go inside the fitting. If you use crimp style fittings, you will need crimping tools; not cheap. Here, most use Viega because it's available. Hope this helps.

Comment

i'm a service plumber. mark and rich are right.

i live in indiana with private water(well). so our water is different. i have cpvc(mostly), pex and one sink with copper. all but cu is in attic. my job repairs are mostly galvinized, then cu and then plastic. most of the problem that i see are usually from freezing, old age and last but not always least is a bad installation. i,m 65 some the old stuff is older than me. lol. freezing and bad installation are inexcusable. most bad installs are from lack of prep. you are an electrician, me too. do as the install instructions read. read them more than once. act like you putting some relays in series that you have never seen before. read twice. i buy my materials from the local supply house, i would suggest you do the same. get the product that they would put in their own house. you can laugh but that is how i put it to my counter people. i avoid big box stores and chains like fergy or graingers. breid...............
            Last edited by breid1903; 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM. Reason: cerebrally challenged

Comment

The pipe seems to never be the weak link, it is almost always the fittings.

Mark

Comment

Polly pipe is crap and that is all I have to say about that. One to many bad experiences and a bunch of money down the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                  Polly pipe is crap and that is all I have to say about that. One to many bad experiences and a bunch of money down the drain.
                  I don't think anyone will disagree that polybutelene is crap. Pex when installed properly in the right application has it's uses.

Comment

Originally posted by 420paul View Post
                    I don't think anyone will disagree that polybutelene is crap. Pex when installed properly in the right application has it's uses.
                    I read Pex and thought Polly I still stand by my statement even though it doesn't make much sense with the topic. I have my moments.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 420paul View Post
                        I put polybutylene in my own home 16 years ago and have never had an issue with it failing. The only problem with the poly was the aluminum rings and the plastic fittings. I have replaced more defective pex pipe than I have poly and the pex was not related to the fittings but the pipe itself would develop pin holes or spider crack and leak. The manufacturer that had the most problems was Quest Pex. I have yet to come across a polybutylene system that the pipe has failed.
                        ________
                        How to roll joints
                        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:42 PM.
                        Mike

Comment

ViegaPEX Ultra/Pureflow or Uponor.

J.C.

Comment

Hey mtne,
                            I am a plumbing contractor in CO and I install Uponor Aquapex in many applications. Here it is a great product in case of freezing. The pipe will expand if it freezes then contract back to it's original size without breaking. The pipe is made to expand. It must be installed correctly. So in the house or underground is OK. Really the only downside is that it has no protection against rodents.
                            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

I have a piece of Uponor pex capped in the freezer.
                              My son takes it out once in a while to brutalize it,
                              bend it ,smack it about.
                              I have restored the kinks out of it and toss it back in the freeze.
                              3 or 4 years now and prefect.

Comment

Working...
                              X