Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

I made some changes to hopefully make it more conventional, though I did not address everyone's concerns. I guess the next step is to go to the inspector's office and ask him. (Hopefully he won't laugh too hard!)
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Yes that's true BUT why is the vent 2"?

It could be 1-1/2" if it wasn't wet venting the WC.
      I think (duhhhhh) the vent could still only be 1-1/2" but the portion on the outlet side of the combination must be upsized to 3" for it to meet wet venting code because the wet vent is based on a fixture load table and ALL things vented (tub/shower, water closet, are included in the table sizing requirement.

Been awhile, and it could have changed, but I'm not sure an inspector (at least here) would look at the lower fixture unit bathroom group table but would instead use individual DFU's to determine load.

WC=3
      T/S=2

5 DFU's at one time bumped the wet vent to 2-1/2". Noone uses 2-1/2" so.....

3"?

This ain't even my town and what he/she has drawn should work. Although I have failed inspection once for that exact setup with the inspector claiming that even rolling the L.S. on a 45 to the 3x2 was a "3/4 S-Trap and you have to cut it out...."

P.S. You don't have a lavatory shown on the first drawing and all water closets require a lavatory in or just outside the bathroom.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks. I can change the wye to 3*3, roll it on it's side and run 3" up to the dry vent if that would be better.
        There is a lavatory (and a shower) downstream each with their own vent.
        Last edited by mjsmith0; 02-23-2010, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mjsmith0 View Post
          Thanks. I can change the wye to 3*3, roll it on it's side and run 3" up to the dry vent if that would be better.
          Sounds like a winner you won't even have to redraw.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

What's a "Mechanical Designer"? What do you have to do to become one?

Seriously. Just always curious about all aspects that one could venture into. Degrees? Experience?

Thanks.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-23-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

where is the sink tied in at? how about just wet venting it through sink line which is common around here anyway

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                What's a "Mechanical Designer"? What do you have to do to become one?

Seriously. Just always curious about all aspects that one could venture into. Degrees? Experience?

Thanks.

J.C.
                Thanks for asking, J.C.

This website gives a description of what a mechanical designer does. http://www.collegecrunch.org/careers...ical-designer/

To get started its good to take some drafting classes and learn how to use CAD. Of course it helps if you are mechanical inclined (like the folks on this forum most certainly are!)

I know lots of mechanical designers that don't have college degrees (once you get a degree, they call you an engineer!) Most of us got experience starting out as draftsman, then learned the rest on the job.

You can make a good living, and the work has been steady since I started over 25 years ago. It's also lots of fun. I've worked on designs ranging from microscopes to rocket engines. There is always something new to learn.
                Last edited by mjsmith0; 02-23-2010, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks. What program are you using to sketch the drawings you've posted?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plummen View Post
                    where is the sink tied in at? how about just wet venting it through sink line which is common around here anyway
                    The sink drain connects into the horizontal 3" main drain about 3 feet downstream from where the tub drain connects. I could vent there too, but wouldn't the toilet would wet vent naturally at the tub connection anyway?

Comment

The sink drain connects into the horizontal 3" main drain about 3 feet downstream from where the tub drain connects. I could vent there too, but wouldn't the toilet would wet vent naturally at the tub connection anyway?
                      You could connect the lavatory into the tub line and eliminate the vertical vent you have in the tub line altogether.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks. What program are you using to sketch the drawings you've posted?

J.C.
                        I'm using Pro/ENGINEER. It's expensive and hard to learn, but once you got it down you can draw just about anything you can think of. There is a free student version though I believe.

Comment

I'm using Pro/ENGINEER. It's expensive and hard to learn, but once you got it down you can draw just about anything you can think of. There is a free student version though I believe.
                          Once you learn. Can you make sketches such as the ones you've posted quickly?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

You could connect the lavatory into the tub line and eliminate the vertical vent you have in the tub line altogether.

J.C.
                            Now there is an idea. I will take a look. I would love to get rid of that vertical vent if that's possible.

Comment

Once you learn. Can you make sketches such as the ones you've posted quickly?

Thanks.

J.C.
                              To be honest, there may be programs that are faster quick at conceptual drawings like this, but since I know it better than others, it is faster for me! If I were making these kind of plumbing drawings all the time though, there are some things you can do that can make it very, very fast. Once a model for each of the fittings were made, it would be a breeze to hook them all together in anyway you want.
                              Last edited by mjsmith0; 02-23-2010, 09:42 PM.

Comment

To be honest, there may be programs that are faster quick at conceptual drawings like this, but since I know it better than others, it is faster for me! If I were making these kind of plumbing drawings all the time though, there are some things you can do that can make it very, very fast. Once a models for each of the fittings were made, it would be a breeze to hook them all together in anyway you want.
                                Thanks! Something else to be interested in.

I just remembered that you are under the UPC code which can have different requirements for developed length, pipe diameters, etc.

I only deal with the IPC code.

Double check anything I have posted with the UPC so you only have to do things once.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X