Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

    Okay to vent my w/c closet like this? (Click on the thumbnail to see the larger image.)
    I'm trying to avoid some structural work by angling the w/c drain like shown.
    I'm in Los Angeles which is generally governed by the UPC.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mjsmith0; 02-23-2010, 02:48 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

    Will it work? Probably.

    I would suggest calling a reputable licensed plumber for that type of work.
    Last edited by 420paul; 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

      Your talking a wet vent which is fine just not the way you have it drawn up (at least not in Ohio)
      ________
      GONG BONGS
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:42 PM.
      Mike

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

        Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
        Your talking a wet vent which is fine just not the way you have it drawn up (at least not in Ohio)
        ....(at least not in Ohio....or California)
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

          the way it's drawn is legal under IPC, as long as that flange would be allowed by the inspector, but you're not in IPC land.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

            Thanks everyone for the advice. What do I need to change to make it meet code?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

              I'm in IPC and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly here without a nondescript envelope carrying a a few dead presidents

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

                Originally posted by mjsmith0 View Post
                Okay to vent my w/c closet like this? (Click on the thumbnail to see the larger image.)
                I'm trying to avoid some structural work by angling the w/c drain like shown.
                I'm in Los Angeles which is generally governed by the UPC.
                Wouldn't fly in Minnesota. You can't have a flat vent untill it's 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture on that branch interval. You also have to have the wet portion of the vent oversized by one size. (Here in Minnesota). So, if you're wet venting into a 2" vent, the line would have to be 3".

                Although what you've drawn would function just fine for the most part.
                Time flies like an arrow.

                Fruit flies like a banana.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

                  That would pass in michigan.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

                    It passes anywhere wet venting is allowed as long as the vertical vent section is 2". There is nothing there that is a flat vent. It looks a little odd, but it meets code.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

                      Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      It passes anywhere wet venting is allowed as long as the vertical vent section is 2". There is nothing there that is a flat vent. It looks a little odd, but it meets code.
                      Doesn't the IPC require upsizing the small portion considered the wet vent?

                      Thanks.

                      J.C.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

                        If the tub trap is 1-1/2" then having it 2" is upsized. Am I right?

                        It wouldn't pass here because the 3"x2" wye is on it's back.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

                          Let's all get confused! Interpretations vary of course but my understanding is that the wet vent begins at the outlet of the 2" combination and must be upsized to the downstream branch.

                          J.C.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

                            that vertical only needs to be 2" if its got a lav on it. The fixtures need to be on the same plane so that 3*2 should be horizontal. otherwise its just common venting two floor mount fix

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Okay to wet vent the w/c thru the tub vent?

                              Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Let's all get confused! Interpretations vary of course but my understanding is that the wet vent begins at the outlet of the 2" combination and must be upsized to the downstream branch.

                              J.C.
                              Yes that's true BUT why is the vent 2"?

                              It could be 1-1/2" if it wasn't wet venting the WC.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X