X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric water heater elements

i've probably only serviced a handful of electric heaters in my life.

why do i have a case of thermostats and elements, good question

but i installed a 50 gallon owner supplied ge/ rheem 5 years ago. yesterday i had to diagnose the lack of hot water issue.

very simple the lower element was shot.

but why did the lower element 4500 watts have a low density element and the upper one i also replaced have a high density 4500 watt element?

the original owner and no one has touched the heater since i installed it for them 5 years ago.

i only had 1 phone a friend and he was also surprised.

out here, electric are far and few between.

rick.

upper element at top still working, but badly worn. lower element burned out but not as worn.

red is the lower density and black is the high density.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-24-2010, 10:33 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Electric water heater elements

Pedro put'em in wrong.

J.C.

Comment

What hap pend to the ?
      I work on Lots of elec tanks here
      When the new gas wh,s come out ,
      And you have to plug them in to work
      I might own a electric

Comment

not pedros fault, probably some hilljack

i put in a lot of electrics. actually no gas after fvir. in the last few years there has been no service work on elements here. i dislike it so i guess i never noticed. the "sandhogs" are not cheap. over the years some of my customers would bulk at the price. what i see here are leakers not calls for lack of hot water. if i was a consumer i would like the sandhog lower element. as a manufacturer maybe, i'd want a payoff to me. if i change out any electric wh i will pull the elements and check. will post as i get info. maybe thats why i don't get any calls with lower elements. if it is goooooood. this ain't the land of milk and honey here. nothing personal but the rest of us get a kick out of you people voting to lower taxes and voting to raise spending. hows that working? lol. breid..............

Comment

ahhhh del

are we off our meds today. i spent years use alcohol + meds, i can't out what your sayin. breid.............

+

Comment

but why did the lower element 4500 watts have a low density element and the upper one i also replaced have a high density 4500 watt element?

that's the question.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, The bottom element is more likely to get covered in mineral deposits causing it to overheat and burn out. The upper element will never see that problem. So by using a low watt density element on the bottom they are making the water heater last longer while protecting their bottom line using the cheaper element on the top.

I like to install the ultra low watt density Inconel elements in the bottom at least which pretty much guarantees the customer having no problems. The manufacturer of the ones I use claim they can be dry fired without damage.

Last edited by Redwood; 02-25-2010, 12:52 PM.
              411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I thought i was on Leakfrees post About wh,s
                I might need to take my meds

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
                  Rick, The bottom element is more likely to get covered in mineral deposits causing it to overheat and burn out. The upper element will never see that problem. So by using a low watt density element on the bottom they are making the water heater last longer while protecting their bottom line using the cheaper element on the top.

I like to install the ultra low watt density Incloy elements in the bottom at least which pretty much guarantees the customer having no problems. The manufacturer of the ones I use claim they can be dry fired without damage.

PRETTY MUCH WHAT REDWOOD POSTED !

FOR THE LOWER ELEMENT TO BE BAD

CAUSING NO HOT WATER THEN THE

UPPER ELEMENT HAS TO ALREADY

BE BAD ALSO BECAUSE THE LOWER

ELEMENT ONLY COMES ON AFTER THE

UPPER ELEMENT HAS SATISFIED FOR

HEAT TEMPERATURE,

JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Your phone-a-friend is a dummy.
                    I would be surprised to think that GE has the clairvoyance to install different density elements to combat premature failures
                    Do you have the model number?
                    More likely the homeowner had another guy replace the lower element and either didn't remember or want to tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      I would be surprised to think that GE has the clairvoyance to install different density elements to combat premature failures
                      More likely the homeowner had another guy replace the lower element and either didn't remember or want to tell you.
                      - That's pretty much what his "dummy" phone-a-friend told him.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        - That's pretty much what his "dummy" phone-a-friend told him.

Mark
                        Oops! He put me on speakerphone with the customer so of course I couldn't tell him that

Comment

Oops! He put me on speakerphone with the customer so of course I couldn't tell him that

LOL-Sounds like he had 2 phone-a-friends. I don't know when he has time to work. Did you also get to talk to Emily (customer he sent under the house)?

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hmmm...

I wonder why this spec sheet for a Rheem Water Heater would say...
                            "Stainless steel lower heating element"
                            http://globalimageserver.com/fetchDo...0-eb5870810671

I wonder why GE's website for a water heater made by Rheen for them would say this...
                            Of course they made a mistake in saying it was the upper element...
                            "Stainless Steel Upper Heating Element
                            Provides resistance to lime build-up for extended life"
                            http://products.geappliances.com/App...Sku=SE40M12AAH

I wonder why American Water Heaters would say this....
                            "Lower stainless steel heating element with upper copper heating element"
                            http://www.americanwaterheater.com/p...s.aspx?ID=1013

I wonder why A.O. Smith would say this....
                            "LONG-LASTING LOW-WATT DENSITY COPPER LOWER HEATING ELEMENT
                            Upper element is high-watt density copper."
                            http://www.hotwater.com/lit/spec/res...AOSRE50200.pdf

Before you rudely lay claim to superior knowledge...
                            You better have it!

It actually is quite common in the industry...
                            411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

bill, look in the mirror

homeowner says no.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X