increasing water flow on 1.6 WC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: increasing water flow on 1.6 WC

There was a Story about a Canadian "smuggling" a high flow... Couple went to jail everything seized Kids put in Foster Care Dog Killed etc ...

There are lots of high flows around You just have to look .... I have several Double flushers in the field ...

Dave

Comment

i used to buy them "for personal use" at veterans plumbing in windser. ont. when i bring them back, the customs lady would ask, "is that for personal use"? i asked her once if there was a limit on personal use. she laughed and said one guy brings 10 through at a time. use tunnel, veterans is about 3 blocks in. last time i went there they had at least 15 different models. i'm a law abiding republican. lol. breid......
      Last edited by breid1903; 02-28-2010, 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling challenged

Comment

The first generation of 1.6 gpf were awful so just after The Water Conservation Act was past, we purchased a tractor trailer full of American Standard Cadet toilets 3.5gpf. From a Canadian supplier. All the boxes were printed in French and English. When we were finally down to the last 5 or 6 left they were selling at over $400 each.

Comment

Is it still legal for a business to sell and/or install a 3.5?
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            Found a couple minor offsets in the 113' run.
            Never had a back up in 13yrs. Last year switched from 3.6gal to 1.6gal.
            I read a few months back in PM Magazine (plumbing and mechanical) a column where the author (a mechanical engineer) claimed that a 1.6 gpf toilet would only get enough "oomph" to push the water ~80'. Other water was expected to come from lavatories when people are washing hands, etc.

I know I had a problem in a line where the run exceeded 80' and the primary plumbing fixture was a toilet. (Actually only fixture in 80' was a toilet and a wall hung lavatory. Women would provide urine samples for testing in a diet center. So the toilet was used fifty to a hundred times a day. The drain, a 4" line, had to be cleaned every two months, and we would dozens of white mice from the drain down the line about 65' or so. The Diet Center owner claimed I didn't install the toilet correctly. Yet all my pipe had proper pitch, it was vented, used all long sweeps, even on the where you would normally have a closet bend! The solution? The Diet Center moved.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Some 1.6 GPF are tolerable. They can have everyone of the Toto, Cimmaron, etc. large valve/flapper "speed flushers". Just some marketing B.S. to me. I've installed them.

They've had some ok normal flushers that actually clean the bowl somewhat for years. So go from that to a "speed flushing streak machine".

Now they want to make people start accepting 1.28 GPF with all kinds of voodoo logic and math saying it's the way to go. I shouldn't complain, just makes the phone ring.

They should just accept 2.0 GPF as the standard when using paper.

J.C.

Comment

I am nervous about the 1.28 flush toilets due to a horrible experience I had with the first 1.6'ers I installed when they had first come out years ago.

I put in 14 new Kohler 1.6 gpf toilets in a commercial building days before a grand opening celebration. The toilets immediately starting clogging and the owners were mad at me. They thought I was just a lousy plumber and must have done something wrong.

I ended up attending the grand opening celebration dressed in a suit with a plunger hidden inside a decorative box and would go bathroom to bathroom plunging the toilets as the Hollywood style ceremony went on around me. Never really forgave Kohler after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
                  I am nervous about the 1.28 flush toilets due to a horrible experience I had with the first 1.6'ers I installed when they had first come out years ago.

I put in 14 new Kohler 1.6 gpf toilets in a commercial building days before a grand opening celebration. The toilets immediately starting clogging and the owners were mad at me. They thought I was just a lousy plumber and must have done something wrong.

I ended up attending the grand opening celebration dressed in a suit with a plunger hidden inside a decorative box and would go bathroom to bathroom plunging the toilets as the Hollywood style ceremony went on around me. Never really forgave Kohler after that.
                  There is a big difference between those early 1.6 toilets and todays 1.28 WaterSense Certified toilets...

Those Kohlers that you installed were probably Wellworths and later MaP Report tested in the 1st edition of the MaP Report at about 150 Grams of solids per flush. WaterSense Certification has a minimum threshold of 350 GmPF which covers about the 99.5 percentile range of the adult male fecal size.

So yes there is a huge difference in flushing performance but bowl wash is an issue with many of the low flow toilets.
                  411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    i use "cameraed" too.

joey approves

but it's not actually a real word

good luck finding a 3.5gpf.

most toilets tend to hold more water in the tank than what actually flushes. trying to get the bank customers/ employees to hold the handle is the best bet, but the most difficult option.

sometimes a swap in the flapper will help, or as alex mentioned, raising the overflow level will give a longer flush.

pressure flush only help with the short runs, not the long runs. 1.6 gpf is not much water to push out 113'. biggest problem is that you only have toilets and very little sink use. no showers or laundry to help purge the system.

probably more ladies that guys with that extra wipe

so the 3.5 will help mask the sewer issue. but so will double flushing.

rick.
                    That's exactly what I was thinking! I have to hold the handle for a long time to completely empty the tank on any 1.6 I've ever installed/owned.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      The first generation of 1.6 gpf were awful so just after The Water Conservation Act was past, we purchased a tractor trailer full of American Standard Cadet toilets 3.5gpf. From a Canadian supplier. All the boxes were printed in French and English. When we were finally down to the last 5 or 6 left they were selling at over $400 each.
                      If you don't mind my asking, what was the name of the supplier? All our stuff in Canada has both languages as both are recognized as official languages here. Proflo brand fixtures have English French and Spanish, for example a lavatory is also a "lavabo" (french) and lavamanos (spanish) apparently. Ah, the language lessons you learn from boxes in Canada!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                        Is it still legal for a business to sell and/or install a 3.5?
                        We are allowed to re-set a 3.5 after a renovation (we call it a 13 litre here, but its actually a 13.25 litre tank) They don't sell them at suppliers around here and I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed to put them in new buildings either.

Comment

Working...
                        X