X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow or Pressure Problem

I recently purchased a water pressure gauge and attached it to the hose hookup outside which is branched off the main line just after the water meter. I got a reading of 48 psi. This is on city water. When I flushed the toilet it went down to 20 psi and when I simultaneously ran the bathroom faucet it dropped to 8 psi. Is this a problem with inadequate pressure or is it low flow/volume and what can I do to fix it?

Re: Flow or Pressure Problem

Check to see if you have a pressure regulator in the system, and if its working properly, you can adjust it to a higher pressure for better flow. If no regulator, 48 psi is a little on the low side, but if a piping system is adequately sized for that pressure, flow and pressure drop is minimized. Low flow faucets and shower heads can help the problem out abit.

Comment

make sure any valves in the incoming line are fully open, including at the meter.

Do your neighbors also have the same pressure/flow problems?

Are you up on a tall hill?

G3

Comment

I don't have a pessure regulator. The main line is 3/4 inch and the branch lines are 1/2 inch. The main line is mostly galvanized, which I plan on replacing, and the branch lines are copper.

Comment

I have checked the valves and they are all open. The property does not sit on a hill and I have not checked with the neighbors yet to see if they have the same problem.

Comment

The galvanized main could be your problem, most likely resticted down to a pinhole. Take a five gallon bucket to your first hose bib and time it to see how many gallons go into it in one minute. It should fill up in less than two. As already mentioned, a valve not all the way opened, will restrict flow. A stripped out gate valve can unknowingly be stuck in any position.

Comment

I will try that tommorrow. I did do a similar test at the kitchen faucet with the aretor removed and it took 59 seconds to fill one gallon. Thanks for the information

Comment

I think you've got a restriction, likely as another here says in the rusted up galvy. The clue is the pressure drop under demand. I bet when everything is off, then you open a tap, you get good flow for a second or two, then it slows down.

If you are going to replace the galvy anyway, quit worrying about it; it'll get fixed when you do.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Go at least 1" on your new line

Comment

Working...
                  X