figuring out a loop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• figuring out a loop

I currently have a gravity fed radiant heating system in my house. I want to upgrade to a pumped system, but want to keep the old fashioned radiators. Is there any way of figuring out the loop? I need to know this so I can get the right stuff for the job. Figuring out the right size expansion tank is also a concern. The boiler I have chosen is the prestige PS110 condensing gas boiler. It has a grundfos UP15-58 pump in it. my house is approximately 800 sq ft per floor with 3 floors. the main floor and the upper floor will be heated with about half the basement to come later. I was looking at making my system in 3 zone system, 1 for each floor. I want to zone the system with Taco Zone Valve - EBV Series - 3/4 inch 24 Volt TACE075C2-3...0.75"...and control them with a Taco Zone Valve Controller - 3 Zones - 24 Volts - Taco ZVC-403...controler. this would give me a thermostat on each floor. Is the pump in the boiler enough, or would I need a pump for each zone which would mean a pump controller instead of a zone controller....please, any input would be greatly appreciated

Re: figuring out a loop

Impossible to advise without seeing the current piping layout and the radiators themselves.
    sigpic

Comment

Well the boiler is an old coal conversion with 2 zones. The radiators are all supplied with 0.75" steel pipe(1") outside diameter. They also have a return of the same. The mains seem to have an outside diameter of 2". I plan on constructing a manifold so that each radiator will be off of that instead of branching off the main. I plan on using 0.75" pex for this, but could go to 1" pex if need be. I have 2 different size radiators in my house...one is a low to the ground type which are 12" deep and 18" tall...one has 35 rungs and 2 have 29 rungs. The other ones are 8" deep and 34" tall...one has 12 rungs one has 11 rungs one has 6 rungs and 3 have 7 rungs. one zone would have all the low ones and 2 of the tall ones with 7 rungs and the rest would be on the second zone.

Comment

If you have traced the supply and return pipes and have a way to manifold them then if piped there properly...yes the Grundfos 15-58 on spd 3 should flow the system just fine. Closed loop systems need less pump than you think. As for expansion you will be safe using a #30 tank for hydronic systems. This is easy to tell, it will have a precharge of 12 psi and a 1/2" male thread. Be careful using PEX though...make sure it is heat pex or HPEX. Otherwise, O2 will destroy your system in a few years.
        Kevin

Comment

the #30 will likely be a enough expansion tank for the system volume you're talking about... but there's a reason they make bigger ones

without getting in a several page discussion about pump sizing, i'd start on speed 2 with your 15-58

I would recommend consulting with a pro, and maybe even having them do some of the work.

Heating systems are important to get right. Throwing a "average" pump and expansion tank at it and calling it good isn't really the best plan.

If a pro gets it wrong, you at least have some recourse to get it fixed right, if you spend thousands to do it wrong yourself... and then spend a few thousand more to get it fixed right, sad faces will be present.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

you might try www.heatinghelp.com. ask questions "the wall". breid...............

Comment

Have you considered thermostatic radiator valves?

Haven't used them myself but they give individual
              control over each radiator.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Thermostatic radiator valves will only work if you have a "T" system. Otherwise, the first valve that is satisfied for heat on the loop will shut down the entire loop. I only design and build boiler systems everyday so you may want to ask an expert before putting the right #30 expansion tank...unless you plan on using glycol...then go one size bigger. Glycol expands more than water. As for the pump, Grunfos 15-58 will flow your system on speed 2, but I have little doubt that when the pump is on speed 3 you will see your 20-30 degree deltaT we look for as a standard.

Comment

Working...
                X