X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washroom and Kitchen Backup

I am having problems when I wash a load of clothes in the garage. When the washer drains, from time to time the utility sink next to it will fill up halfway with the water from the washer. Also, if I go and use the kitchen sink while this is going on it will back up into the kitchen sink. The wierd thing is that the utility sink in the garage is about two feet lower than the utility sink but the kitchen sink still retains water and doesn't increase the height of the water in the utility sink. You would think the water from the kitchen would basically just flow down the drain and back up the utility sink even more.

Ever since we bought the house last July, the kitchen sink has heavily gurgled when the washer drains. We had a plumber in about 2 weeks ago that snaked through the kitchen sink and seemed to fix the problem, the kitchen sink even quit gurgling when the washer emptied. Then a couple of days ago it started happening again. Luckily the utility sink has enough capacity to handle the water or we'd flood the garage (which has happened due to this).

The way the house is layed out, the wash room is upstream of the kitchen which is upstream of where the sewage line leaving the house is. Do I just need to have all my pipes and vents snaked next? I have a home warranty that covers the backups but I don't think they'll pay to have this done because the main cleanout is in the crawlspace and they won't pay for people to go on the roof.

I'm a DIYer and have a ridgid 25' snake I'm willing to use and if there's any chemicals that would work well (tried Drano and some main drain cleaner from HD) please leave your advice...Thanks a ton.

Re: Washroom and Kitchen Backup

If the kitchen sink which he snaked is once again backing up I would call the plumber back. Most reputable companies do offer guarantees on their work.
    411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I called the plumber and they came back out free of charge. Thanks Redwood.

Comment

Kitchen sinks and laundry sharing a drain line are recipies for clogs. You get lint out the washer, grease from the kitchen sink, the greasy line likes to catch the lint, the lint then makes a nice matrix to hold more grease.

You'll help it last longer with a filter of some sort (like pantyhose) on the washer outlet to catch some of the lint and by doing your best to scrape plates and minimize disposer use.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I would also check too see if the washer drain line (stand pipe) is sized
          correctly, 2" a 45 degree fitting and 2" pup piece apprx 8- 10" from the finnish wall with a 2" p -tap, 2" x 1 1/2". x 2" san tee fitting Most older systems are roughed plumbed with 1 1/2" stand pipe and with 1 1/2" trap I guess that's why you have that slop sink close to your set up.

And with these new washing machines some folks use the extra high level of water.Once that pump goes into the spin cycle they really pump out the water in full force. It's like droping lot of water in the size of an existing 1 1/2" bathtub drain. Economy is the reason the contractor
          plumbs kitchens and washing machine drain lines. Double duty drain lines
          generally have to be serviced on a more frequent basis.

Try a garden hose testing the discharge of water to see if the drain handles the load of water good luck.

Comment

It's greate your a DIYer but PLEASE NO chemicals like drano not only will that ruin you pipes but when it dont work and you call a plumber to rodd your sink we will get the chemicals on us and they destroy our cables on our rodders which is a nitemare for us
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

My advice is NOT to call A1 American. There's a plumber out there by the name of Jim Maybee that's an honest plumber. You can sometimes find his number on CL.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                My advice is NOT to call A1 American. There's a plumber out there by the name of Jim Maybee that's an honest plumber. You can sometimes find his number on CL.
                what his voice mail says jim maybe there and get you check book out
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by buddycurt
                  hi
                  i want to update my kitchen. The cabinets are off white with brassy antique handles. There is beige tile and my appliances are white. I am going to put up an earth/clay stone black splash with a mosaic border. I am open to painting the cabinets (cant afford to replace them right now) i want to paint my kitchen a dark brown/cafe color. Any suggestions. My living area is burnt orange and the dining room is white. I want to paint the dining room too. The dining room is situated between the kitchen and living room; so, i need the colors to flow smoothly between the three rooms. The floor in the living and dining rooms is light color wood.
                  scram slimey spam !!!!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

burnt orange?

beige?

spam from the 70's, somehow floating in the ether until now?
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X