Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Under ground gas pipe.

Dunbar,

Yup, PE yellow " plastic" pipe. Socket/ Butt fusion mdpe pipe. pretty tough stuff. Transition risers are the "weak" link imho, so I"m very detailed on primer and tape.

Recently did two gas lines that finally went bad. Gas curb vaults, one @ 50 yo and one @ 10 yo Not done by current homeowner looks like the "gardener" did it

Anyone know why the gas co used to put gas meters below grade?????

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post

Anyone know why the gas co used to put gas meters below grade?????

wookie
      probably same reason why the water co does it to. saves money on the service. also the underground to the house s now the responsibility of the customer. also it acts as some protection from vehicles going off course.

gas company was slowly moving the meters to the house, but they don't have the money to do that for free anymore.

mine is still at the curb and i too had to replace my 1.5'' main.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
        As soon as the weather cooperates, I'm going to replace a 40 foot underground section of rusted out 2-1/2 inch steel gas pipe with new
        2-1/2" Scotchcoat steel pipe. Its going to be fun cranking pipe that big together in a trench. Get to try out my new ridgid 36" and 48" aluminums!
        I don't know what the codes are out in your end of the world, but I when I run a gas line underground I use K copper. It's a pain but I try and run the entire line inside PVC sch 40 piping just in case someone goes nuts with a shovel, pick or some freak event happens. I leave an opening to open air but facing down, or at a downward 45 degrees to act as a vent for any gas, if there's ever a leak. I figure if the line ever does leak the smell won't get filtered out and there's a chance someone will smell it. (The opening is usually inside the BBQ grill center stand.)

I don't know how viable this is for you if you're running an 1-1/4" line.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
        X