Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here is one for you math nuts

Hopefully I changed that before anyone noticed
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

70.71 feet of head, (Fresh water: 0.43 psi per foot of rise), 70 x .43 = 30.1 psi,

angle caculator, http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html

psi per foot of height, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_d..._vertical_foot
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

devine is right

sin A = a/c
        sin 45 = a/100
        0.707 = a/100
        a = 70.7 this would be the height of the 100 foot pipe on a 45 deg. angle

70.7 feet x 0.434 = 30.68 psi head pressure

I did not see the 4" in the original post, as long as the ID of the pipe was over one square inch is all that matters.

Now if you are wanting to know how many pounds of pressure the clog is holding back we have to look at the area of the pipe.

ID of 4" sch. 10 (20 is a little odd) is 4.260" (steel pipe)
        area is 14.25 square inches with 30.68 psi is 437.2 pounds at the clog on the bottom.

Head pressure is the pressure it takes to push water to a certain elevation and nothing more.

G3

Comment

G3, I havent looked at my tables but I would have to say I think you nailed it. You get the prize

Comment

Originally posted by devine plumbing View Post
            assuming the water is 60 degrees farenheit its specific gravity is 1

p = .434 x 70.71 x 1
            p = 30.688 psi
            that formula seems much easier. Thanks
            good for you devine . I didn't see mr. " call a plumber giving an answer !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll post more about it once I confirm it's sch 20 pvc.
              Long story short, what a cluster f#%k I was busting the crap with my bare hands.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Those figures will be pretty close no matter what the wall thickness of the pipe is.

If you are going to knock out the clog at the bottom of the pipe be sure to set up the video camera, it will be a goodun to watch fer sure.

Need to be careful that thing will unleash on you like a cannon. Can you snake it out from the top, would be more safe I think.

Comment

You can estimate this quickly, just from stuff you probably remember, and the answer will be close enough for about anything.

sin(45) = [square root of 2]/2 = 0.707

So, 100 feet of pipe at 45 degrees =70.7 feet high

1 standard atmosphere is about 14.7 psi.

1 standard atmosphere is also about 34 feet of water column.

70.7/34 = 2 with a remainder of 2.7... call it about 2.08

2.08 x 14.7 psi = 29.4 + about 1.4.... call it 30.8 plus or minus a little bit for guesstimating.

It's cheating if you have to look it up .

Btw the size of the pipe has doesn't have anything to do with it.... pressure is normalized to area... i.e. pounds per square inch. That's why you can measure pressure in height of fluid column... for instance feet of water, inches of water or inches of mercury.

Comment

Originally posted by jcsplumbing View Post
                    100% positive?

Thanks.

J.c.
                    i'll explain it to you, daa !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Explain it to me Tooly Tool.

How does a the leg of a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 100 equal 50? Gene states the 100' line is on a 45 degree angle, we azz-u-med he is dealing with a right angle equation making the other angel 45. Legs have to be the same.

daaa....

J.C.
                      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-06-2010, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Explain it to me Tooly Tool.

How does a the leg of a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 100 equal 50?

daaa....

J.C.
                        If the run is 86.6ft. 100*100 = 50*50 + c^2, c = sqrt(10000-2500) = 86.6.

Comment

I think I edited at the same time you were posting.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            If the pipe is 100' long ( stand it up, vertical ) then at 45% it would be 1/2 that or 50'
                            No, the others are right, the sine of 45deg = .7071 so a 100' pipe at 45deg would go 70.71 ft out and 70.71 ft up. Sin = opposite side of the triangle/hypotenuse with the hypotenuse being 100 the opposite side, or the rise, will be 70.71 ft.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              I think I edited at the same time you were posting.

J.C.
                              Probably, I new you wanted an isosceles triangle like Gene said, I was just being a wise-***.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                                Probably, I new you wanted an isosceles triangle like Gene said, I was just being a wise-***.
                                Wouldn't want it any other way...

Learnin' in N.C.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X