X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ss elect w/h to gal union to pex

hello and thanks!! !! I will be re piping all the gal. but for a time both systems will be used as I compleate the work.

The 4" ss pipes out of elect w/h are connected to gal unions then gal pipe.
    Q: should I thread the brass pex adapters into unions where the gal pipe was?
    then start pex then tee then shut offs then pex adapt back to gal? and on the tee a oneway backflow then tee to supply and cold manifold?
    On hot pex adapters into union then tee then back flow then shut off then adapt to gal? and from that last tee then tee expansion tank and manifold?
    then when work is done just close shut offs and use pex? ok?
    And a similar set up on the supply side with pressure reducer.
    thanks in advanse for your comments and expertese.
    Last edited by perpexed; 03-06-2010, 03:54 AM. Reason: typo

Re: ss elect w/h to gal union to pex

The threaded nipples out of the water heater are dielectric nipples. I would suggest a ¾ brass tee screwed onto the nipple and your expansion tank into the top of the tee. Then two brass threaded small nipples with a union and a threaded ball valve. Go to pex piping after the threaded ball valve this will give you a solid area to work the ball valve when needed and also a solid base for your expansion tank. This can be accomplished with copper pipe and fittings if that is what you want to do.

Comment

do yourself a favor, put 2 valves on wh. breid................

Comment

thanks for the suggestions, ....am I to delete these unions?
        this is a 1965 national ss wh, when it fails, should the replacement be connected the same?
        is it ok to use those brass one way valves that have a flap to keep the i/p system somewhat seperate from the pex ?

http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=DSCN2685.jpg

http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=DSCN2686.jpg

Comment

Breid a question; why two shutoff valves? If a home owner shuts both shutoffs off and does not turn off the heater( gas or electric) it becomes a bomb if the relief valve fails. Very few home owners have the relief valve replaced and allow it to become ineffective. Many relief valves do not work after several years. No place for pressure to be released.Granted this does not happen often.The only time I install two shutoffs is with a tankless heater where it is impossible for the heater to run.

Yes two unions one after the shutoff and one on the hot side. Does make for an easier replacement if the replacement is the same size.

Comment

There is only one correct way to hook up a water heater. Shutoff on the cold side only. 3/4" copper female adapters from dielectric nipples and make sure you are a safe distance away from the draft hood before switching to any other type of piping. Unless of course you are in earthquake country. A guy came into the supply house today to buy a heater. He walked out with a heater and a couple of Sharkbite flexible hoses and proceeded to tell me that it was awfully expensive to hook up a couple hoses and a gas line. I just gave him my card and wished him the best of luck. Sometimes you can't fix STUPID!
            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

luke 6:30

i have always used 2. if you have someone turn on a single handle or both handles on a faucet, well you might get wet. ask me how i know. i've had water back feed out the hot pipe. other than a mess, embarrassment and/or lack of looking professional. what can i say. how about one of those y houses on a laundry tub? breid.............

Comment

Ah I always turn the main emergency shutoff off and replace the water heater shutoff with a full port ball valve with every new install. Eliminates any home owner from turning the water on by mistake and drowning me.

Sort of like walking into a shower and then turning it on to see where the leak is coming from.

Comment

Working...
                X