X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Damage cleanup companies

The past year and a half I've started to more actively been marketed to by water damage cleanup & restoration companies who work with insurance claims and what not. I few of the folks were pretty professional and credible franchise business owners while a couple companies just looked pretty fly-by-night. Some, offer a referral payout if I am able to refer them to any of my clients.

Has anyone had similar experiences with this type of marketing? I was wondering because on occasion I do see this type of service work that they do with some of my service calls. I'm also wondering if you are using anyone what are the benefits to your business? Are you receiving reciprocation with leads? Are there companies to just flatout stay away from?

I am deliberating on giving a company a crack. My word is my reputation and people's reputation is reality. I will not refer anyone who will not present the same type of service to my client that I would.

I dont' have a lot of experience with the restoration business and how the insurance claims process works on their end.

Re: Water Damage cleanup companies

they all seem to charge what the insurance companies will cover. to me most of it is a racket. especially with fresh water.

i find that what they charge, you can almost buy the equipment at the end of the job. $50 a day for a $200 blower x 4 blowers is a blower a day no job is a 1 day job. they all last for 4-7 days.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

What's in it for you other then the referral payout which can't be much and maybe a referral here and there. If the company does a bad job or their is a dispute with the home owner. Forget ever getting repeat business from that customer again. I say it's a risk and unless your really hurting for new business why take a risk with a company you hardly know. That's my two cents, take it or leave it.

Dan

Comment

When these guys first started out I would refer work to them and they told me if one of my guys ever had a problem they would do the cleanup for free. Well it finally happened. One of the guys installed an angle stop on a water closet and the packing leaked. It was a 5'X8' bathroom so by the time you discount the size of the tub you have a 5'X6' floor area of carpet. Not only did they charge me they charged me $1,200 to pull the carpet dry the pad and reinstall the carpet. This was 20-years ago when $1,200 was a lot of money.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have been aggressively marketed to by a number of these companies. Some of the bigger ones will have beautiful women hang out at the local plumbing wholesale house on occasion and put us poor guys under their ether. I have had them offer $200 just to talk to me about giving them my referrals.

My whole problem with it starts with the mold scare tactic. Out here a lot of people have been turned on to the toxic mold issue by the media. As a plumber dealing with leaks, I have had more people ask me about mold with fear in their eyes than I can tell you. I live in a desert (southern California).

I am not saying that it isn't useful to dry out a flooded home and I don't want to offend anyone who has a health issue making them hyper-sensitive to a couple strains of mold (out of thousands).

However, on account of the whole mold scare tactic that they make major bank on, I just don't have it in me to give them ANY referrals. I think they charge way too much for what they do and it saddens me that the insurance companies have to pay their ridiculously high prices because the insurance companies don't want to get sued over the mold hysteria going around.

If it were me, I would avoid giving them the referral altogether as it will probably make you look bad on occasion. You will sleep better at night. Then again this comes from someone who does all his own work as a point of pride (not necessarily good business sense).

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
            I have been aggressively marketed to by a number of these companies. Some of the bigger ones will have beautiful women hang out at the local plumbing wholesale house on occasion and put us poor guys under their ether. I have had them offer $200 just to talk to me about giving them my referrals.

My whole problem with it starts with the mold scare tactic. Out here a lot of people have been turned on to the toxic mold issue by the media. As a plumber dealing with leaks, I have had more people ask me about mold with fear in their eyes than I can tell you. I live in a desert (southern California).

I am not saying that it isn't useful to dry out a flooded home and I don't want to offend anyone who has a health issue making them hyper-sensitive to a couple strains of mold (out of thousands).

However, on account of the whole mold scare tactic that they make major bank on, I just don't have it in me to give them ANY referrals. I think they charge way too much for what they do and it saddens me that the insurance companies have to pay their ridiculously high prices because the insurance companies don't want to get sued over the mold hysteria going around.

If it were me, I would avoid giving them the referral altogether as it will probably make you look bad on occasion. You will sleep better at night. Then again this comes from someone who does all his own work as a point of pride (not necessarily good business sense).

Actually one of the worst mold-cases I have ever seen was in an Santa Ana apartment building.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Actually one of the worst mold-cases I have ever seen was in an Santa Ana apartment building.

Mark
              I don't doubt it as I have worked in a few gnarly apartment buildings in Long Beach. It was more of a situation of a leak going on for a long time (years) with a slum lord doing nothing about it. If you were to repeat that in say Florida the whole building would be a Godzilla mold monster.

Comment

Quite a few water restoration companies offer a bird dog fee. Dig for information about the companies in your local area. Insurance comapnies have fees that they pay out for specific tasks and most of the water restoration companies know what those fees are and charge accordingly.

Things to find information on when you want to recommend them; do they replace what they pull out. Examples some pull out baseboards but do not replace them or get them priced for replacement through the insurance company. The home owner bites the bullet on baseboards.Are they a full service company?

It is too difficult for them to refer you , they work with too many other plumbing companies and will lose jobs due to referring.

Comment

Plumber Jeremy,
                  Welcome aboard!While I like the *idea* of what these co's do
                  what they charge (as Rick said) is boolshiite.
                  If you can find a co. that does this without making the homeowner
                  or ins. co. refi. the house to do this work I"m all in. I get the cost of time,
                  labor overhead..but I damn sure know stealing when I see it too.
                  Last edited by Jay Mpls; 03-09-2010, 09:25 PM. Reason: BTW get a better avatar.

Comment

The company I refer sends me feedback forms (filled out by the customer) when the job is done, all have been positive. They cost a lot of money, but they get it done. I even had an accident...they came out cleaned the carpet, and I never paid a dime! The customer was impressed (not about the spill either).

Go with your gut feeling....

Hey Rick, you sound just like some of the homeowners out there!

Comment

There seems to be similar behavior & charges around the U.S.

So a question: How do they get consistently approved & called by insurers for these seemingly exorbitant fees when insurers have increasingly made the habit of deny, deny, deny and find the cheapest company to do work in other areas no matter what?

J.C.

Comment

I with the dancing turd on this.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Jay Mpls; 03-09-2010, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                          Plumber Jeremy,
                          They are some of the most honest hard working companies out there

Heres a picture of them hard at work cleaning up. Notice the professionalism of pointing out the problem in photo#1
                          Photo# 3 you can clearly see they double check their work.

Rod
                          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                          http://unclognh.com
                          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Re: Water Damage cleanup companies CHAWOOWAA !!!!!!

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                            Plumber Jeremy,
                            I forgot all about mold, when i scrolled up ! Wow She took My breath away! Thanks,hope
                            You never run out of these friends !
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Mold in Ca. Years ago an older Gal called Her local home owners insurance broker.
                              She asked If She had MOLD INSURANCE. She had no water damage,was just curious.
                              The broker called this into the insurance Co.She was canceled. She applied to another co. and the rates were very high. She was a long time customer with Ins. #1 and never a claim!
                              She had been put on a mold list shared by all Co.s. The Ca. Attorney Gen. started an investigation. This was years back on a talk show KGO from S.F. Since then ,I advise folks to absorb small water damage $$$$. or get canceled

I'm hoping Mark ,or someone else, has current info. on what Bill Lockyer did about these Ins. company's and cancellations.
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X