X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding plumbing for steam generator unit

I am currently finishing my basement and want to install a steam generator. I've attached a picture showing where I want to install the
    unit with respect to the shower. The question I have is how running the steam line to the shower from the unit. The copper pipes have to
    pass over a doorway. I am planning to mount it near the ceiling since from what I understand the pipe run should not have any "dips" in it.
    So the copper steam line would run from the unit, over the door, around the corner and into the shower, on a constant downslope. Any advice or
    thoughts on this?
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Question regarding plumbing for steam generator unit

The shorter the distance between the steam unit and the outlet the better. Without knowing all of the conditions you are not ridiculously long but the longer the distance the more chance the steam will cool and you will get water (cooled down steam) sputtering with your steam.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I don't see plumbing for a smitty pan discharge under the unit !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        I don't see plumbing for a smitty pan discharge under the unit !
        His drawing doesn't show a T&P or drain either but I think it is because he is only asking about the steam line.

Mark

Comment

What do you mean by smitty pan? the shower pan? There is a drain in the shower. Also, what do you mean by T&P? Sorry for the beginner questions.

Comment

Originally posted by faromic View Post
            What do you mean by smitty pan? the shower pan? There is a drain in the shower. Also, what do you mean by T&P? Sorry for the beginner questions.
            Most steam units require a T&P (temperature and pressure relief valve) with drain on the steam generator. The smitty pan is a pan you would install below the unit to prevent damage if the unit leaks. However, that is generally only used if the unit is installed in an attic or furred space. If it is installed in an equipment room it is generally not needed.

Mark

Comment

As Mark said, the shorter the distance the better off you will be. I like to insulate the steam line with FIBERGLASS insulation not the foam insulation you find at Home Depot. Only have one high point in the line. Water needs to fall out the steamhead or run back to the unit. Follow the instructions for steamhead location in relation to where the bench is (I don't see one in the drawing) You don't want it right where your toes will be. Protect the control wiring during the construction. Install a heavy duty exhaust fan to clear the steam when you're done.

Comment

Yes, I am installing the unit in the furnace room in the basement so I will run a drain lilne to the floor drain. The Unit I was looking at was a Kohler it has a T&P valve. It's only about 6 feet away from the shower but i have to run it over a door and it will have 3 90" turns as can be seen from my attachment. Based on what people are saying, I should be ok for such a short run with 3 turns.
                Thanks

Comment

the most important thing is what does the instructions say? it should give you an acceptable distance and amount of 90`s that are ok

Comment

Working...
                  X