Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: k-60 cable

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
    I think you guys who use the sectional and push the cable in as far as you can then pull it out are only half cleaning the line.

Yes, you get the clog but your not properly cleaning the whole drain like a drum. When you pull back your missing cleaning all the gunk and grease build up that may still be their on the way back while running water.
    When I run the KM-1500, I run the cable through the machine on the way back at least once to ensure that the line is thoroughly cleaned. I typically make 2-3 passes on every job regardless of if I'm using sectional or drum.

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
    As far as being good with a machine just because someone has done it for many years does not mean their better than someone doing it for 3 years. Heck I have seen people play the guitar for a year play better than someone played their whole life.
    I agree. Experience does not always equal skill. Bad habits, once formed die hard.

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    LOL-How can you disagree with what Rick says he can do? You maybe faster with a drum machine than Rick is with a sectional machine but that does not mean Rick is faster with a drum machine than he is with a sectional.

Mark
    Regardless of drum or sectional...It's not how fast you do it, but how effectively you do it

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    ron, factor in the stairs and access to the basement. remember i said from truck to truck. most old homes 1920-30's out here have basements. some of them have steps, some have more of a ladder. very few have access like you would on a real stair case.
    Ladder access basements commonplace? That just plain stinks. Nearly every house has a full staircase to the basement in my neck of the woods.

I also rarely have to deal with crawlspaces in my area (which is a lot older than the newer suburbs of Chicago).

And I would probably kill myself if I ever tried to rod from the roof on most houses here. Roof pitch is just too steep.

These are the reasons I take power (1500 and 1065) over portability (K-60). It's not as valuable for me.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    remember a 35# machine can be hand carried and a 250-300# machine needs to be rolled and grunted

rick.
    Just get one of these:

http://www.powermate.info/

I especially like the A-Team Theme Music!

I get a fax advertising these several times a year, but have never used one.

I pity the fool who don't use one of these! Or just use the Force, like Yoda-T here
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 03-11-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

That is not even close to true. You have to remember the sectional cables are much more of an open wind than a drum cable. That is why they are as flexible as they are. At the same time it makes the entire length of the cable a auger. We ran both drum and sectional machines and the sectionals always did a better job on messy drain.

Mark

It's not about the type of cable, but how you work the cable. in 3' back 1' on grease or sludge lines is my method, then run the cable through the machine while retrieving

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
        It's not about the type of cable, but how you work the cable. in 3' back 1' on grease or sludge lines is my method, then run the cable through the machine while retrieving
        I imagine it is different in other parts of the country but if I am doing a greasy drain here it is a kitchen or a commercial floor drain. 99% of out kitchens have outside cleanouts so hot water is running while we are cleaning the drain. If it is a floor drain in a commercial kitchen there is a hose running with hot water while the cable is running. If I hit a stoppage at 40' I still run the full basket. After I am done snaking a greasy drain my cable often looks like I just left the quarter car wash.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I imagine it is different in other parts of the country but if I am doing a greasy drain here it is a kitchen or a commercial floor drain. 99% of out kitchens have outside cleanouts so hot water is running while we are cleaning the drain. If it is a floor drain in a commercial kitchen there is a hose running with hot water while the cable is running. If I hit a stoppage at 40' I still run the full basket. After I am done snaking a greasy drain my cable often looks like I just left the quarter car wash.

Mark
          You guys out there are so lucky with outside clean outs. Get one maybe out of 300 calls here.
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Mark
            We're on the same page Mark, I just feel that 1 pass is not enough in most lines.

Comment

That's the big difference between drain cleaning and just clearing the clog.
              Making more than one pass.
              Last edited by UnClogNH; 03-11-2010, 11:22 AM.
              Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Just get one of these:

http://www.powermate.info/
                of course i already have an electric stairclimber how do you think i get 100 gallon heaters in by myself

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

i see outside cleanouts only on the newer homes or homes that were on septic and now on city. older homes are always in the basement or crawl space. so i would say 50/50.
                  the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

We're on the same page Mark, I just feel that 1 pass is not enough in most lines.
                    I agree, when I hit a stoppage regardless of what I am using I will work the line back and forth. I use to tell my guys we have a one hour minimum so I expect an hour worth of cleaning.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I agree, when I hit a stoppage regardless of what I am using I will work the line back and forth. I use to tell my guys we have a one hour minimum so I expect an hour worth of cleaning.

Mark
                      Any less is begging for a recall. I used to stress this on all the new RR guys. Take the extra time do it rite recalls cost you money.

Did they listen? No. they listened when the jobs got docked from their pay when someone else had to go and resnake the drain.
                      Many of them rushed just to get to the next job if their was a next job and not sit on stand by like a pack of hungry wolves.
                      Rod

Comment

joe. i l have my cables connected together in the basket. when i put them in i lay basket down and just push them in until i hit an obstruction. then i uncouple and spin cable. if it frees up i push again. i don't use the "guide hose" going in. i have some rips of 1 1/2" pvc + ferncos that i use for a "guide hose". they are easier to store for me. i think rick uses a piece of 1" hdpe. don't quote me. i'm sure he will educate me if i'm wrong. i pour some tide down the drain with hot water and let my cable run for awhile. some else should get credit for that. who ever had the idea, thank you. yesterdays drain had a stairs that were bullet proof. unfortunately the tread was about 14" wide. with the door covering part of the tread. nice for a 60, not for my old drum. maybe i only get those jobs cause i'm such a nice guy. lol. very few outside clean outs here. that's good for my business as ho and handy hacks haven't a clue how to do them. breid............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                          joe. i l have my cables connected together in the basket. when i put them in i lay basket down and just push them in until i hit an obstruction. then i uncouple and spin cable. if it frees up i push again. i don't use the "guide hose" going in. i have some rips of 1 1/2" pvc + ferncos that i use for a "guide hose". they are easier to store for me. i think rick uses a piece of 1" hdpe. don't quote me. i'm sure he will educate me if i'm wrong. i pour some tide down the drain with hot water and let my cable run for awhile. some else should get credit for that. who ever had the idea, thank you. yesterdays drain had a stairs that were bullet proof. unfortunately the tread was about 14" wide. with the door covering part of the tread. nice for a 60, not for my old drum. maybe i only get those jobs cause i'm such a nice guy. lol. very few outside clean outs here. that's good for my business as ho and handy hacks haven't a clue how to do them. breid............
                          Thanks. i have a question for you. would it be easier to not hook up the guide hose and feed the cable through the rear. I used it yesterday and it seemed like it took forever to clear a clog because i had to unhook and hook each section of cable. i normally run the cable through the drain 2 or 3 times to make sure i cleared the clog really good. any tips and corrections would be great. Unhooking the cable from the carrier was a pain in the butt, maybe its because im no use to it yet and im spoiled from using the drain machines.

Comment

I have both the k-1500 and k-7500 and I love both of them.They each serve there needs . Now I alway push cable in till I hit blockage first, then run cable the rest of the way out spining . Then I run water pull cable back and run cable through again spining all the way the second time. If no roots on blade, up size to biggest blade to safely fit in line and spin rod till you get no more roots. That may take me a little longer but I dont really ever have any call backs. Time is money but warenty callbacks are free !! P.S. I always send each section one at a time though the back of the guide hose takes a little practice ! good luck
                            Last edited by post plumber; 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM.
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

joe the LICENSED plumber. you know i've got a license, i ain't a republican. lol

i very seldom use my guide. only if i'm in vegetation or in a finish basement. a lot of mine look like shallow cesspools by the time i get there. lol. breid.............

Comment

Re: joe the LICENSED plumber. you know i've got a license, i ain't a republican. lol

I wish I could the only time I rod without guide is on roof rodds and that is seldom . In the chicago land most people have finished or semi finished basements and are usualy spotless . Unless its south side chicago then you can rodd with no guide make a mess and not clean it and it will look better then when you arrived just bring two flashlights in one to aim at the hole in the wall and keep the roches in and on to use to do your work . LOL
                                Last edited by post plumber; 03-14-2010, 08:26 PM.
                                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                                X