X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-60 cable

Hello everyone. I just purchased the K-60 sectional. I heard all kinds of good things on here so i went ahead and bought the k-60 sp -se. I have always used the drum machines so im new to the sectionals. I have a few questions. My kit comes with 75' of cable already in the cable carrier, can i keep it in the carrier and feed it through the back of the machine and send it down the drain. I called ridgid and they said i would have to feed the cable through the front of the machine in 15' sections. they said for me to hook up the guide hose in the back and go to the front and start feeding the cable in 15' sections , that sounds like alot of work and then once all 75' of cable is fed through i would have a night mare behind the machine with the cable all over the floor. can anyone help me on this. thanks.............

Re: k-60 cable

I use the rear guide hose but not everyone does. I will generally hand-feed as much cable as I can straight from the cage until I hit the stoppage or can no longer push by hand. At that point I separate the cable and start using one length at a time. Depending on how much cable is out when I am done I will pull the cable out of the machine and hand-feed it directly back into the cage.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

thanks mark.

Comment

you know i have the same one .
        but i will say that even after many drains, when i'm tired or i've had a long day. i wish i had my drum back from the old days.
        now my back loves the k-60.
        i do the same as Mark.
        the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

you can feed the cable from the back through the hose but is sometimes is a PITA. when the head of the cable reaches the machine, push forward while twisting the cable. in about 80% of the time it will feed through. i run my k-75 that way. it took a while to get used to the 60s rear feed but it can be done.

BTW, i always use the guide hose with 7/8 cable. too easy to snag on stuff without it.

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

thanks steve. I will try that. can i leave the 75' in the cable carrier and then try to feed it through the guide hose and send it down the drain, or does it or will it get binded up while in the carrier. I would love to come up with something that i can put the cable in so that it dont spring up and out and be able to feed it in the back through the guide hose and down the drain, and then when i bring it back out of the drain push it back into the creation i make and it goes back into it without getting out and springing all over the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
              you know i have the same one .
              but i will say that even after many drains, when i'm tired or i've had a long day. i wish i had my drum back from the old days.
              now my back loves the k-60.
              i do the same as Mark.

I know what you mean jerad. I have used drums my whole time in the plumbing business. I have the k-7500 and the k-750, but the k-7500 is a bear going down and up stairs, after 4 or 5 times using it in a days time it kicks my azz....... so i purchased the k-60 but it seems like the cable is going to be a pain in the butt, most basements i go into are so small and 75' of cable all over the back of the machine is a nightmare. it would have been nice if ridgid came up with something like a drum that the cable sits in on a spool or something and it sits behind the machine and you just pull it out and feed it through the guide hose and go to town.

Comment

i know i can clean a drain in a basement 75' faster with a k-60 than i could with a k-7500 from truck to truck.

the k-60 7/8'' cable has to be removed from the cage to run it. the last 15' cable might be able to run in the cage, but it will twist up in the cage if not careful.

i very rarely use a guide hose as the majority of my jobs are outside. just need to be aware of the surroundings and landscaping.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Joe the plumber View Post
                  I know what you mean jerad. I have used drums my whole time in the plumbing business. I have the k-7500 and the k-750, but the k-7500 is a bear going down and up stairs, after 4 or 5 times using it in a days time it kicks my azz....... so i purchased the k-60 but it seems like the cable is going to be a pain in the butt, most basements i go into are so small and 75' of cable all over the back of the machine is a nightmare. it would have been nice if ridgid came up with something like a drum that the cable sits in on a spool or something and it sits behind the machine and you just pull it out and feed it through the guide hose and go to town.
                  You generally would only have 10' or so (in a guide hose) at the most sticking out the back of the machine. If you are using the machine to pull it out, you would disconnect each full length as it came out of the drain and return it to your basket. Once you are able to pull the cable by hand, you would not use the machine and just feed it in to the basket instead.

Mark

Comment

I do not have as much experience using the K60 as Rick or ToUtahNow, but have been using one for about 3 years. The biggest time wasting mistake I made in the beginning was trying to run every bit of the sectional cable in and out of the line through spinning it with the machine bit by bit when I could have just pushed or pulled the cable in or out by hand without spinning it with the machine. Sometimes you will hit a bend or transition and a little spinning will get the cable past that point and you can push or pull by hand again. When I am removing the cable after getting through the clog I like to run water and spin the cable to rinse it. As you are pulling the cable out past the point where the water is draining by it, the action of spinning the cable flicks off the water and makes it a lot less wet as you pull it out from the cleanout. This has worked well for me.

When using this machine indoors I always use the guide hose. A full section of cable will only extend a little bit beyond the end of the guide hose as you are pulling it out. This is why I put my tarp underneath the very end of the guide hose. As a section coupling clears the back of the machine, I disconnect the guide hose, uncouple the section and then pull it out from the end of the guide hose - back into the cable carrier. This makes it manageable.

It is a different drill from a drum machine, but with some practice can be pretty fast.

Comment

Rick I disagree I can rod a 75' line in a basemantjust as fast if not faster with my drum machine than any sectional machine.
                      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      i know i can clean a drain in a basement 75' faster with a k-60 than i could with a k-7500 from truck to truck.

the k-60 7/8'' cable has to be removed from the cage to run it. the last 15' cable might be able to run in the cage, but it will twist up in the cage if not careful.

i very rarely use a guide hose as the majority of my jobs are outside. just need to be aware of the surroundings and landscaping.

rick.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Rick I disagree I can rod a 75' line in a basemantjust as fast if not faster with my drum machine than any sectional machine.
                        ron, factor in the stairs and access to the basement. remember i said from truck to truck. most old homes 1920-30's out here have basements. some of them have steps, some have more of a ladder. very few have access like you would on a real stair case.

as long as i can get down a basement, i can get my k-60 in there. remember a 35# machine can be hand carried and a 250-300# machine needs to be rolled and grunted

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                          Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          LOL-How can you disagree with what Rick says he can do? You maybe faster with a drum machine than Rick is with a sectional machine but that does not mean Rick is faster with a drum machine than he is with a sectional.

Mark

Comment

I think you guys who use the sectional and push the cable in as far as you can then pull it out are only half cleaning the line.

Yes, you get the clog but your not properly cleaning the whole drain like a drum. When you pull back your missing cleaning all the gunk and grease build up that may still be their on the way back while running water.

As far as being good with a machine just because someone has done it for many years does not mean their better than someone doing it for 3 years. Heck I have seen people play the guitar for a year play better than someone played their whole life.
                            Last edited by UnClogNH; 03-11-2010, 11:46 AM.
                            Rod
                            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                            http://unclognh.com
                            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                              I think you guys who use the sectional and push the cable in as far as you can then pull it out are only half cleaning the line.

Yes, you get the clog but your not properly cleaning the whole drain like a drum. When you pull back your missing cleaning all the gunk and grease build up that may still be their on the way back while running water.

As far as being good with a machine just because someone has done it for many years does not mean their better than someone doing it for 3 years. Heck I have seen people play the guitar for a year play better than someone played their whole life.
                              That is not even close to true. You have to remember the sectional cables are much more of an open wind than a drum cable. That is why they are as flexible as they are. At the same time it makes the entire length of the cable a auger. We ran both drum and sectional machines and the sectionals always did a better job on messy drain.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X