Calk Removal around bathtub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calk Removal around bathtub

I guess you're right. I will seal it for now and investigate when I redo the shower.

Comment

I've used silicone with "bioseal" or something similar for 90% or better of the recaulks i've done.

The polyseamseal stuff didn't make a nice finished bead at all when I'd tried it a few times... It's entirely possible that it froze on the way up here (happens all the time).

What is the advantage to not using silicone?

----------------------

Help me support children’s cancer research CLICK HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by radar_40 View Post

What is the advantage to not using silicone?

----------------------

Help me support children’s cancer research CLICK HERE!
        The silicone rots out just the same(maybe lasts a year or two longer),yet it takes way more time to remove entirely from the surfaces that are to be resealed.
        I've gone to houses where the home owner has smeared silicone all over the place only to have it dislodge from it's inteded area in the same few years.
        Now I have to sit in the tub for what seems to be an eternity removing it ALL.

Same goes for finish set in silicone

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I borrowed this picture from another site to show what a tub tile flange is.

Mark
          This photo does show the tile flange but whatever is used for the wallboard should not be extended over the tile flange,it should stop at the top of the flange . When you run the board over the flange it's impossible to achieve a 90 deg.corner,the edges of the wallboard will curve in where they are on top of the tile flange.Some studies have shown that silicone actually encourages mold growth,use a product that has something like Microban in it or a mold/mildew inhibitor in it to caulk the tub.
          Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

My tile mentor " setting tile by Michael byrne " If i go with backer board . I follow Mike's advice. Never seen anyone else do this ! I fur out studs flush with tub flange. I then staple
            30 Lb. tar paper to studs , making sharp creases in corners. Cover EACH staple with Henrys
            plastic roof cement. Then cover with 1/2" hardie board. of course tape joints.

If the customer calls , It's for another project, not to chase a leak!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

A heat gun will soften up old caulking.

Comment

Air Chisel.

J.C.

Comment

That's bold.

Comment

Great tip on the heat gun - never thought of that. I hope the heat will not melt the tub though.

As for the air chisel - LOL. I do have one but maybe I should get out my demolition hammer and have a go with the bull point chisel

Comment

Keep the heat gun moving and work the caulk with your removal tool.

Comment

Working...
                      X