X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calk Removal around bathtub

So I have quick question about this. It seems like the caulk around one of my bathtubs (tub/shower combo) must have started cracking and so I developed a small leak below. I temporarily taped some plastic around the tub to stop the leak and keep the water out which has worked but I need to make a more permanent repair.

What would be best way to get rid of the old caulk. I have a caulk removal tool (looks like a triangle) but it does not work well – the caulk is stuck on really tight. I assume caulking over the old caulk is not a good idea.

Also any tips on removing mildew?

Re: Calk Removal around bathtub

A good sharp razor knife and a small sharp wood chisel, take your time and carefully scrape it off bit by bit.

The better your old caulk clean up the better your new bead of caulk will be, use a good quality latex caulk like polyseamseal to go back with.

Comment

When you're ready to apply the new caulk, fill the bath tub with water.
      Thus the caulk will fill the entire space.
      If you do not do that, when the tub is full the weight of the water will
      move the tub slightly stretching the caulked area and cracking the caulk giving you
      another opportunity to do it all over again

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by MasterplumberKC View Post
        A good sharp razor knife and a small sharp wood chisel, take your time and carefully scrape it off bit by bit.

The better your old caulk clean up the better your new bead of caulk will be, use a good quality latex caulk like polyseamseal to go back with.

Respectfully, I wouldn't use a wood chisel or a knife unless you want scratches.
        No matter how careful you are it will still happen.

The triangle thing you where talking about before usually works ok. I actually use a plastic ice scraper and it worked really well on a tough job. What I did is take 80 to 100 grit sand paper or a file and sharpen the edges a little bit. It works like a charm and I have never scratched my tub, tile, or fixtures.

Comment

The painters multi tool works wonders with cutting and pulling caulking out of gaps.I'm sure you've seen one from time to time.The one that looks like a 3"wide taping knife with a half circle punched out of it's mid section.
          The pointed side gouges and pulls the dap out of the gap.

Once you have all the dap out and have scrubbed the slime and mildew out you can spray the mold discoloration with a bleach solution.Have clear water on hand to rinse the sprayer out as quickly as possible,the bleach ruins the pump in minutes.

Let dry,Brush one more time to remove loose particles,Re-apply your new dap.

NO SILICONE
          silicone is o/k only at door casing and threshold.

Good luck
          Adam

Just read Dan's concern of scratching,If you have tool skill issues I wouldn't use anything metal

Comment

The caulking is your sanitary seal so you may want to look into why your tub is really leaking.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the replies. One thing I guess I’m curious about is why use latex caulk rather than silicone. I would have gone ahead and used silicone but since I posted here I guess will use latex but I’m curious as to why.

I guess I was also not clear on what Mark said – I was assuming that the caulk has cracks and that the water is seeping out due to the cracks. Certainly the leak has stopped since covering up the caulk (my way of testing to see what the issue was since I was not sure if it could have been the drain or the water supply piping). So Mark are you saying that even if the caulk is cracked water should not be seeping down below and in fact there is another issue at hand.

So now that also brings me to some other issues I found while investigating the problem. I took the valve trim out and found that there is some kind of seal around the trim which is supposed to seal off the opening in which the valve and cartridge reside. However, this appears to be perished and compressed to some extent and so I’m not sure it is making a good seal. I bought a replacement from Moen to help make a better seal but I’m wondering if I should place a bead of caulk on this during install. Do you guys do this? I also thought a bead of caulk around the trim would be a good idea – the original install does not have any caulk around that.

In the long term I’m planning to demolish the existing tile (ugly white tile very common here in San Diego) and replace with marble, travertine or onyx. That is at least 6 months to a year away to the limited time I have available so I need to fix this for now.

Comment

The silicone WILL fail as well with time.
                And at that time it will take ten times as long to remove it to the point of being ready to re-seal properly.

Comment

Sorry forgot to add - I do have that painter's tool - I will try that out and see how it does.

Comment

Unless your tub is a self-rimming tub it should have some type of a tile flange where it intersects with the tile. Assuming the tub is properly set any water which gets behind the sanitary seal should not leak to below.

As far as your penetrations for the valve, spout and shower arm, I prefer to pack them with plumbers putty unless you have stone.

Mark.

Comment

Some times the seal at the shower door threashold fails and the water travels past the flange under the grout line
                      thereby rotting out the 2X4 door track backing/drywall nailer and bottom plate and on down the line.

Comment

I borrowed this picture from another site to show what a tub tile flange is.

Mark
                        Attached Files

Comment

I also use the painter's multitool and bleach solution. Then a little Sporacidin to keep the mildew away. I only use silicone.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Mark and Adam for explaining this. I can now see what it is like behind. Is there any way I can figure out what is actually going on with my shower without doing any demolition. Well actually demolition is in the works as mentioned - just not at the moment.

From the pic Mark has posted I can see any leak through the caulk can potentially run down at the ends. I did notice one thing with the leak - while it was leaking if I got in the tub and stamped my foot a couple of times it stops.

From this any clues as to what might be going on.

Comment

If you are planning to replace it soon I would not be too concerned with tearing stuff out. Seal it as best you can and hope for the best. As for stomping on the tub, it probably had nothing to do with it. Generally when you see water leaking below it took a while to saturate the ceiling enough for the water to pass through it. Using the same logic, when the leak stops it had probably stopped earlier and you are witnessing residual water.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X