X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replace copper with pex?

hey folks im renovating my bathrooms and was thinking while i got the walls opened up if I should rip out my copper plumbing and switch to PEX ? I like the idea of having all my shutoffs in a central location.
    would it be worth it? Is pex quieter than copper? can you pull the same amount of flow? would I get rid of temp spikes in the shower when someone flushes the toilet?

I was also thinking about running seperate copper line all the way. do they make a manifold for copper pipe?

Re: replace copper with pex?

If the copper is still in good shape, and it probably is, leave it alone. There is zero advantage to going to pex.
    sigpic

Comment

Copper is the best in my opinion it has withstood the test of time.

Comment

Leave the copper in, it is a better product in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher2 View Post
          hey folks im renovating my bathrooms and was thinking while i got the walls opened up if I should rip out my copper plumbing and switch to PEX ?

That all depends on you,

Are you that well off that you can just rip out good plumbing and replace it because you just need something to do with your money ...or is there a reason why, like the water in your area sucks and its eating the copper............. so.....that's kinda a weird question to ask .......

I like the idea of having all my shutoffs in a central location.
          would it be worth it?

You could do that with copper if you wanted to, or pex , Its not like PEX invented the manifold, plumbers have been piping copper manifolds for years my friend.

Is pex quieter than copper?
          Nope , not at all,

can you pull the same amount of flow?
          NOPE, You would actually need to step up a size because pex limits flow, for example, if you had a 1/2" copper line you would need to run 3/4" flow to match that,

would I get rid of temp spikes in the shower when someone flushes the toilet?
          That again has nothing to do with PEX or copper, it just means the guy that roughed your house was a hack and didn't know what pipe sizing was........

I was also thinking about running separate copper line all the way. do they make a manifold for copper pipe?

Yes, They make copper pre-made manifolds or you could simply build one with fittings and pipe.

Hope this helps ya
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Plumbingskool thanks for addressing my specific questions. It helps alot.

Comment

install a new shower valve with balancing valve, you wont feet a difference when someone flushes a toilet.
              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

technically, it's the fittings that create the flow restriction....

not the PEX itself

But the simple answer is to upsize it by one pipe size to eliminate the issue.

The balanced flow shower valve is an excellent recomendation... while you've got the walls open, you'd be silly not to do it.

---------------

Help me support children’s cancer research CLICK HERE!

Comment

....i'd stay with copper. if its been in a while and you worry yourself to death about the old lead solder that was probably used, THEN change to pex. but I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                    That all depends on you,

Are you that well off that you can just rip out good plumbing and replace it because you just need something to do with your money ...or is there a reason why, like the water in your area sucks and its eating the copper............. so.....that's kinda a weird question to ask .......

You could do that with copper if you wanted to, or pex , Its not like PEX invented the manifold, plumbers have been piping copper manifolds for years my friend.

Nope , not at all,

NOPE, You would actually need to step up a size because pex limits flow, for example, if you had a 1/2" copper line you would need to run 3/4" flow to match that,

That again has nothing to do with PEX or copper, it just means the guy that roughed your house was a hack and didn't know what pipe sizing was........

Yes, They make copper pre-made manifolds or you could simply build one with fittings and pipe.

Hope this helps ya
                    The above post is filled with mis information

I prefer copper over pex, and would probably leave your copper as is if it's type L (thick grade copper) If it's type M (thin grade)I would consider replacing it with L copper. The easiest way to tell is you will see red writing for M and blue writing for L.

Pex is quieter.

There is slightly better flow with copper over pex, but you probably wouldn't notice it.

Copper manifolds are rare and usually impractical for a residential application.

If you are experiencing temperature spikes in your shower/tub it's because you don't have a pressure balanced valve. It has nothing to do with the size of your pipe. With the walls open, now would be the time to put in a single handle pressure balanced valve. I would reccomend Symmons, Delta, or Moen. Also, I would highly suggest calling a LICENSED plumber for said work. I hope this post was useful for you.

Plumbing school........I like your torch

Comment

Originally posted by 420paul View Post
                      The above post is filled with mis information

Oh? Okay, We're on I disagree,

I prefer copper over pex, and would probably leave your copper as is if it's type L (thick grade copper) If it's type M (thin grade)I would consider replacing it with L copper. The easiest way to tell is you will see red writing for M and blue writing for L.

Oh, so if M copper is within code in his area, you would recommend replacing it with L for no reason? Come on get serious , you don't need L just to be "the best"......in fact M copper is stronger then pex by far, Copper is NON-porous and can be put in sunlight , do that with good ole pex

Pex is quieter.
                      Oh? Prove that somehow, Please show me a reference, write up or something that proves that.....

There is slightly better flow with copper over pex, but you probably wouldn't notice it.
                      Oh? Prove that as well, in fact Pex may have better flow if there is less fittings in the runs as 90's restrict flow ........but then again, depends how the pex is run.

ALSO - If you BEND copper instead of using fittings you could have a better system, but not many guys bend anymore .....or even know what is is.....

Copper manifolds are rare and usually impractical for a residential application.
                      Have you ever plumbed in NY, where all we use for track condo's is copper manifolds........well now its more pex, but for a 10 year period we all used to build copper manifold near the water heater in many track homes and condo's.

If you are experiencing temperature spikes in your shower/tub it's because you don't have a pressure balanced valve. It has nothing to do with the size of your pipe. With the walls open, now would be the time to put in a single handle pressure balanced valve. I would reccomend Symmons, Delta, or Moen. Also, I would highly suggest calling a LICENSED plumber for said work. I hope this post was useful for you.
                      This is true, but you also need to size the pipe right.......like I mentioned.

Plumbing school........I like your torch
                      Me to, AND it proves a point I have always lived by, its NOT the wand, its the wizard.

Where's your avatar> 420 Paul?

Ding Ding
                      Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 03-12-2010, 02:26 PM.
                      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
                        install a new shower valve with balancing valve, you wont feet a difference when someone flushes a toilet.
                        Ya, for sure , You do need to do this,

I agree,

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                          Oh? Okay, We're on I disagree,

Oh, so if M copper is within code in his area, you would recommend replacing it with L for no reason? Come on get serious , you don't need L just to be "the best"......in fact M copper is stronger then pex by far, Copper is NON-porous and can be put in sunlight , do that with good ole pex

Oh? Prove that somehow, Please show me a reference, write up or something that proves that.....

Oh? Prove that as well, in fact Pex may have better flow if there is less fittings in the runs as 90's restrict flow ........but then again, depends how the pex is run.

ALSO - If you BEND copper instead of using fittings you could have a better system, but not many guys bend anymore .....or even know what is is.....

Have you ever plumbed in NY, where all we use for track condo's is copper manifolds........well now its more pex, but for a 10 year period we all used to build copper manifold near the water heater in many track homes and condo's.

This is true, but you also need to size the pipe right.......like I mentioned.

Me to, AND it proves a point I have always lived by, its NOT the wand, its the wizard.

Where's your avatar> 420 Paul?

Ding Ding

M copper is no longer code in MA. Why? Even with good water conditions it will typically last 30-60 years then pinholes will start to appear. If his home is more than 20 years old I would recomend replacing M copper while the walls are open.

Pex is quieter than copper. Plastic is quieter than metal. Even a handyman can understand that. NOT better, but quieter.

Pex has a smaller indide diameter than copper, also the fittings go inside the pipe unlike copper. There will be slightly less flow as a result. As I said before with properly installed pex you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

I have never plumbed in NY, I stand by my statement. Copper manifolds are impractical in MOST residential applications.

Of course you need to size the pipe right, however like I already said it has NOTHING to do with the OP's problem.

I'm not a pex guy or a copper guy, I use both. It depends on the situation as to which one is better. In most applications I prefer copper.

I'm not going to argue obvious facts with a handyman, with that said, you may have the last word.

Comment

Pex is quieter than copper. Plastic is quieter than metal. Even a handyman can understand that. NOT better, but quieter.
                            Oh, I guess in that case using a PVC stack would be quieter then a Cast Iron Stack right...????..come on man,,......at least back up your statements with real facts....

Plastic is quieter . LOL all the way the down the road.

I'm not going to argue obvious facts with a handyman, with that said, you may have the last word.
                            You're not arguing, your just showing your lack of experience, That's all.

I plumbed for 16.5 years under a 10 licensed master plumbers here in NY state and also plumbed in NC for 2 years under 3 licensed plumbers , they taught me well. Then I retired in 2003 due to medical conditions, so I am not sure what you meant by the above comment........

The OP of this thread got more then his answers, and I don't want to piss you off or start a fight, its all good. I guess its all about location and who teaches who......right?

I mean look at Politics for an example......We are all Americans yet we are divided.....works the same way with plumbing, some think one way is better and others then teach other ways,

But moving along.....

I will just leave it with a disrespectfully disagree based on "MY" experience.....

Any who - thanks for the replies and no hard feelings man

Comment

Dude, are you off your meds, again?

Comment

Working...
                              X