X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet water level

We installed 3 American Toilets. There have been numerous problems with the flappers but they replace them indicating a problem on there part.
    My question is:
    the water level in one bowl is about 1/2 of the other two.
    is there any way to change the water level?
    Ross
    Last edited by Ross J; 03-13-2010, 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: Toilet water level

if all 3 toilets are the same model, then you have a simple way to compare them. i'm assuming that you're referring to the water level in the bowl.

easiest way to test for the water level/ trap seal is to slowly pour water into the bowl and see if it comes up and stays up. not too fast or you'll create the syphon that empties the bowl.

if you can get the water level to stay up, then it should be a simple refill hose or ballcock adjustment/ replacement and not the china bowl.

how new are these toilets?

did the 1 ever have the proper/ similar level?

has it ever been augured?

does the water come up and slowly drain down?

very important questions

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Adding to Ricks thread. Sometimes the model, is the same model however the design is different. It is a difference of manufacturing time.I am not sure of A/S however Kohler made a wellworth that had the jet hole in the bottom of the water closet and then another kohler wellworth design had the jet home in the conventional location. The jet hole in the bottom gave the wc a triple flush with a flapper change out while the one loccated in the side gave a continious flush.Both were the same design and depending on the supply house a home owner could have two different styles with the same model number.

Each style did have different bowl water height.A different time frame for manufacturing could be the difference between water height.

Toto drake water closets now use a special water measure device. A fluidmaster or korky quiet fill does not fill the tank nor bowl to the correct water height needed for a great flush. Flushing the wc a few times the water in the bowl does not reach the deesired height. If it had a faulty water measure device and someone replaced it and that could be the reason.

It is not as easy to give a correct answer to this problem without actually visiting the issue. You are working with a trial and error and wil be lucky if it is something that we have discussed in this thread.

Some plumbers will use an ajustable flapper that has the different weights. Coast flappers come to mind., The different weights with the coast flappers does not give the A/S wc the proper water fill and the difference in water height will start to show up after the 3rd of 4th flush.

Comment

fluidmaster does have a ballcock now that is rated for high refill.

400-hr is the high refill model. it comes with 4 different connectors that will work on the toto's and kohler models.

the factory toto ballcock is lucky to last a year with their rubber formula. i guess they never figured water chemistry into their design.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Unless there's a partial blockage in drain or vent,isn't the toilet trap full like any other in the system ?? How's the flapper enter into this ?
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tool it is not the flapper it is the water measure device it does not fill the bowl and tank to the proper height. You will notice the drastic change in the water height after the 3rd of 4th flush.

Rich Thanks for the info our supply hhouses here do not stock the new fluidmaster I have to get toto water emasure devices from toto. I iwll ask the supply house about the enw fludimasters. Thanks again.

I mentioned the coast flappers with adjustable weights because they do not work in 1.6 gallon flush American standards, they are not listed on the water closets that can use thier flapper.They do not allow a proper flush.

Comment

To the Original Poster: You said "American" toilet; do you mean "American Standard?" Many of their new toilets have a different method of washing the bowl; this could be the culprit. The bowl washing (and filling) will last only as long as the re-fill cycle.

Could you post model numbers, and manufacturer?

Comment

Yes I will. Sorry about my absence here but we had a serious family situation that I had to attend to.

Comment

It's American Standard and the model is Cadet. Another point is that the water gushes back up when flushed.. Again sorry for being so tardy in my reply.
                  Ross

Comment

Another thing we noticed is that when the toilet is flushed water gushes/squirts up as high as the toilet seat from the bowl.
                    Ross

Comment

Working...
                    X