X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower plumbing question

I'm working on a shower faucet that has quit working. The day it quit it, water came out as a trickle then stopped altogether. Now when you turn it on NO water comes out the nozzle. It has a single knob and I've replaced the seals/springs in it already. When I had it apart I bagged it so water would drain into the shower then turned on house water supply. Hot and Cold came out. So there seems to be obstruction "after" water temps are mixed.

I removed the shower head and still no water comes out. It is just a shower stall, no tub in there to try.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it? Is it just plugged up after the mixing? Do these things plug up ever? If its plugged how do I get it working again? Do I need to just tear out the wall and replace the whole thing? Can I "fix it" without opening up the wall?

There is no access panel. The wall where it would be is inside the built-in linen closet in the bathroom. So I'm thinking that if I have to go through the wall I'll have to do some disassembling of the built-in closet, which has drawer(s) at the bottom, as well. I don't know if the drawers will simply pull out because the toilet is quite close.

Is there any kind of mechanical, small roto-rooter type device that would clean out the blockage?

If there is a way to fix this without replacing the part that would be ideal. It will be a lot of extra work to gain access to the pipe with the cabinet there. That is why I'm wondering if there is a way of cleaning out the pipe without replacing it, as it appears to be clogged.

Thanks!

Re: Shower plumbing question

I hope someone has a proven handling for this.

I have a similar situation to handle this week. I am going to hook up an air compressor to the shower arm and blow air backwards through the system in hopes of dislodging the blockage back out through the valve body.

My 2nd idea is more extreme and involves turning the shower arm so it is facing up and pouring a small amount of acid down the riser to hopefully eat through any calcium/lime deposits.

But I will not be pouring acid down there 1st and then hooking up an air compressor 2nd.

Other ideas are welcome.

Comment

Hmmm. Air. Hadn't thought of that. With a skinny tube connected to air I could "blast away" from the lower end and the upper end and see if anything came out. Thanks for the idea!

Comment

As a note, newer shower valves have a pressure balancing system built into the valve which can fail. When it fails it often results in a trickle of water or even no water coming out. I do not really have enough information about what you have got going on over there. When you say you replaced springs and seals, it makes me think you have an older Valley or Delta brand shower valve which didn't offer the temperature balancing feature.

Remove the shower head and open up the valve body. Remove the guts. Blow on the shower arm and see if air flows back through the open valve body. If it does, you don't have a blockage or issue beyond the valve.

Comment

I would never and I also would not even consider recommending POURING ACID into my potable water system, I don't care how safe the manufacturer says it is. I don't even recommend pouring acid down a waste line drain system.
          Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

If it's water deposits try some vinegar.
            You may have to let it sit for a while.
            What kind of valve is it?

Comment

The chances of something blocking the riser are almost zero. If you have a picture of your valve with the trim off it might be easier to help you.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by alsdrainservice View Post
                I would never and I also would not even consider recommending POURING ACID into my potable water system, I don't care how safe the manufacturer says it is. I don't even recommend pouring acid down a waste line drain system.
                Yeah, not good idea if you don't know what you are doing. I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

By the way, did you know that one of the main ingredients of flux paste for soldering is an acid? Just funny to think that plumbers use acid in potable water systems every day and you wouldn't even know it. We apply the acid (flux) to the copper with what is called an "Acid Brush". Acid is essentially a cleaning agent in this case and the flux is suppose to be water soluble and wash away.

This is another reason why I like the Pro Press system as I do not have to use acid in peoples potable water systems. I also don't have to breathe the fumes when I am soldering. In the past, I would sometimes lose my voice after a full day of soldering.

And no plumber ever wants to hear about people putting acid down the drain to clear stoppages. The acid destroys the pipes and is also very damaging to drain cleaning equipment - not to mention hazardous to their persons.

Comment

I don't remember the valve brand. It has a single round knob for temp control and pressure/volume. Inside is the round hollow ball where the 2 temps are mixed, then "up and out." Yes I bet a picture would help. This problem is 40 miles away and I won't get down there till Friday to look at it again. When I had it opened up and turned on house water, hot and cold both came out of the "supply" part of the valve. But when all is put back together No water comes out of the top pipe (with shower head removed). All this sure suggests to me the plug is after the valve and in the "riser" part. A skinny tube and a compressed air source. That's what I'll bring with me (and myriad of other tools) on Friday. And no acid.

Comment

Maybe something like this?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

Comment

Yes, thanks Dakota, that is generally what it looks like.

The house was built in the early 70s and think this is original equipment. I do now suspect the blockage is hard water build-up.

Thanks.

Comment

The riser most likely isn't the problem
                        Its the diverter just below the riser that should have been screwed out of the valve body for shower only that is stopped up

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                          The riser most likely isn't the problem
                          Its the diverter just below the riser that should have been screwed out of the valve body for shower only that is stopped up
                          But since it's a shower only stall I don't think it has a "diverter." Diverters are part of tub/shower combos only aren't they? But not a shower only type valve?

Comment

Originally posted by Allen_G View Post
                            Hmmm. Air. Hadn't thought of that. With a skinny tube connected to air I could "blast away" from the lower end and the upper end and see if anything came out. Thanks for the idea!
                            ok long vers I use a tool called knetick water ram made by general you can use your comp. I would conect the air hose hard piped to shower arm with a ball valve . So 3/8" to 1/2" than conect to ball valve.than 1/2" gal. uniuon so you con put together than conect to shower arm . with ball valve off turn water on to shower and to lav faucet set comp. to 70 psi so you dont blow up the pipes and open up bal valve and hold on
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                            X