Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to replace cold water pipes for toilet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to replace cold water pipes for toilet?

I'm planning to change the existing toilet with a newer model and noticed the pipes are rusty.

Any idea about how to replace the cold water pipe? Do I need to remove part of the tiles?

Re: How to replace cold water pipes for toilet?

That rust looks like it's from the escutcheon, not the pipe.
    Just replace the escutcheon, supply valve, and supply tube.
    The pipe looks OK from here.

Comment

Split escutcheon & chrome cleaner.

Comment

Looks to me like the packing nut on the valve is leaking on the escutcheon. As suggested above get a split ring escutcheon or chrome cleaner and tighten the packing nut 1/4 turn.
        Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

If you're going to the expense of replacing the toilet why scrimp on trying
          to salvage the escutcheon and valve? Just do it right and replace.

Comment

Is that a galvanized riser to the straight stop? Is that an IP stop? I think it's copper painted to match the escution.
            Last edited by BAPlumber; 03-17-2010, 01:28 AM.
            Brent

Comment

Originally posted by alsdrainservice View Post
              Looks to me like the packing nut on the valve is leaking on the escutcheon. As suggested above get a split ring escutcheon or chrome cleaner and tighten the packing nut 1/4 turn.
              Good call, it could be a packing leak. But also, with pipe coming up from the floor, it could just be condensation forming on the pipe in the summertime and running down onto the escutcheon. In any case... I wouldn't bother tightening the packing nut, I would just put in a new high quality 1/4-turn valve, and a new one-piece escutcheon while the valve is off.

Since the floor is black tiles, if you spray the new escutcheon with gloss black Rustoleum it won't rust, even if it is just from condensation. Give Rustoleum out of an aerosol can a LONG time to dry, at least three days -- longer if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
                Is that a galvanized riser to the straight stop? Is that an IP stop? I think it's copper painted to match the escution.
                It's a "tinned" stub. Some guys do it as a finish on the stub. I don't particularly care for it.

Gonna' make it a little harder to get that escutcheon off and back on. Unless you've been to tin snip butcher class like I have. Or the split ring.

I agree with Jim. This time....

J.C.

Comment

As the packet nut on the valve is leaking you should go for Split escutcheon & chrome cleaner and tighten the nut by quarter.
                  Alabama plumbers

Comment

you guys are genius. every time I tried to open or close that shutoff valve, it would leak some water from the stem. I'm going to tighten the nut 1/4 turns. before I asked the question here, I went to HomeDepot, staff there said I cannot fix that valve and told me to replace the shutoff valve with a mini ball valve (compression ring connection).

As for the pipe, I'm pretty sure it's soldered somewhere below the floor so replace it is possible but difficult. I'm going for Split escutcheon & chrome cleaner as suggested.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Asking for advice from home depot, is like expecting mc donalds to get your order right, the second time.
                      My avatar, is every mans wet dream, don't lie. We all know you ride the bedroom moped

Comment

after you clean pipe. wax it with auto wax. it works on your car, it'l work here. breid..............

Comment

Working...
                        X