Leaking Hot Water Dispenser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Hot Water Dispenser

I have an Insinkerator hot water dispenser that started leaking. The leak is coming from the seal between the stainless steel tank (2/3 gallon) and the plastic fitting attached to the top of the tank. The tank is a two piece unit, so after dis-assembly there is accessibility to both sides of the plastic fitting. Unfortunately it is an adhesive bonded fitting with no way to tighten it down to the tank. The fitting needs to be replaced. Initially I was going to replace it with a brass bulkhead fitting, but I have some concerns because some brass fittings have minute traces of lead, and the fitting will be in contact with water at 190 deg. F. Another option is a stainless steel bulkhead fitting, but I am having problems locating these. Can anyone give me a source for either lead free brass fittings or stainless steel fittings. The size I need is 1/8” pipe bulkhead fitting with about a 3/4-20 OD for the threaded port that goes through the tank. The Clippard 15029-1 in brass is what I was originally looking at, and would work but I don't think it is lead free. Thank you ahead of time for any information!

Re: Leaking Hot Water Dispenser

jerry, the stainless tank is the newest of the tanks. original were copper, then plastic, now stainless.

how old is it?

truthfully if it's not under warranty, i would toss it.

can you post a photo of the leaking area.

a new tank only runs about $210.00

i have a collection of leaking hot dispensers. and 6 new ones in stock. i don't have one for my house, as a microwave is 1/2 the price and last 5 times longer. uses power only when i need it.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you for your response. The tank is a shade over 2 years old, and is still under the 3 year warranty. So I am getting a replacement tank from ISE. However, I would like to fix the leak in the original tank and use it as a spare. I've owned quite a few ISE hot water dispensers (as you have said, with plastic and copper tanks and now SS tank) and they typically have a 1 - 4 year lifetime. My own lifetime numbers are corroborated by online reviews of this item, so having a spare tank seems like a good idea. I would like to add, that other then the leak, the condition of the tank is very good. It is definitely worth salvaging. The new replacement tank from ISE will only have a 9 month warranty on it, which is the time left on my original warranty. So in the future I would be saving the cost of a new tank which is about $200. Unfortunately I can't post a picture of the leaking area, since I've already dis-assembled the tank and removed the faulty fitting. So any help in getting the lead free brass or stainless steel bulkhead fitting would be greatly appreciated. A combination bulkhead and barbed fitting for a 1/4" ID tube would even be better.
      Last edited by jerryk; 03-16-2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

jerry, are they mailing you a new tank, or sending a service rep out to change it?

i hope they don't make a stink that you took it apart.

best advise for the future is to install a plug in timer on the new one and shut it off during the night and non use times. saves power and the wear and tear of the unit.

hope they let you keep the old one for parts.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

They are shipping me a new one, so I have the old one to play with. I took it apart after they agreed to ship a new unit. There was a choice of having a service rep come in but I nixed that one. Any advice on where I can get the fittings that conform to California requirements for potable water?

Comment

Working...
          X