Clear All

Re: Shark Bite Connection

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    danced with models and movie stars,

J.C.

Oh neato!!! Who> That's super cool !

Comment

Guys, I was apprenticed by a union master plumber. Everything had to be plumb, parallel and perpendicular or it was getting ripped out and redone.

While this was great training in terms of quality and discipline, along with it were some other things that were fairly old school, knuckle headed and down right ridiculous. Things had to be done as they always were. Anything new was guilty until proven innocent and little effort was ever made to try something new to see about its workability. A lot of jeering and jokes were made about "those guys that put in that cheap crap". A sort of elitism formed and before you knew it even I considered anyone calling themselves a plumber who hadn't put in 8" Gruvlok in a highrise building, a wannabe and a drain cleaner was off the bottom of the scale.

Was I completely out of my mind? YES! But, this is how I was taught and a lot of what upheld my way of doing things was an air of superiority and blind righteousness. It had little to do with what was actually true.

If I saw someone installing plastic drain piping under any sink, not brass, they were automatically a cheesy plumber. Compression angle stops were not to be trusted - no these must be soldered in - SOLDERED! I was righteous right to the end. Again, that is the way that I was taught.

Well, fortunately I got out from that rut and started thinking for myself and life has never been better. I have found that there is a lot to know to be a good service and repair plumber. Drain cleaning is a tremendous skill to achieve and I am improving my worth at this whenever I can.

My point is for us not to get caught up with our own self importance and status. Be willing to weigh out new technology. Be cautious, but don't stand on the sidelines jeering and shooting it down just because it doesn't require more work or isn't the way you were taught. If you haven't used Pro Press and find yourself amongst a club of guys that are too good for it, this is your wake up call. You will thank me later.

I watched Pro Press for years before trying it and I so regret the years of pain, physical health punishment, close calls with fire, etc, that it would have prevented. I still solder but have shifted my entire operating basis over to Pro Press. Shark Bite fittings have their use. They will not replace soldering, but Pro Press and PEX probably will.

And please don't tell me you have never had a leaky soldering joint, really, not even one. My last one was on a 4" copper fitting that required so much effort to fix you don't even want to know.

Pro Press can do 4" with wet conditions gentlemen. The train is leaving the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post

Pro Press can do 4" with wet conditions gentlemen. The train is leaving the station.
        you forgot to say in 5 seconds

nicely put dakota, your whole post

it's nice to know old school, but it's also nice to know new school. propress is new school for the old school plumbers and yes i still stock copper fittings up to 6'' and t-drills, and copper vic. but at this point if it can be pressed, it gets pressed.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          heck, i think 90% of the guys here have no idea what a lock ridge tool is used for, no less what 1 is

Aw right smarty pants. So what's a lock ridge tool used for?
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

if you only knew how much new construction i did for 15 years. it would make your heads spin.

rick.
            . What the heck are YOU roughing in???

J.C.
            Well I've dug ditches, danced with models and movie stars, play guitar, shoot a mean BB gun, scored a basket in a basketball game & all kinds of other good winning stuff.

But Sharkbite still doesn't beat Solder.

J.C.
            DO I SMELL a NEW RIDGID Round up competition?

ROUGH IN RACES!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              Aw right smarty pants. So what's a lock ridge tool used for?

geno, i'll fess up, but not right now

we'll see how many are still stumped. last time i used 1 was over 10 years ago

give you a hiint. i had 3 different sizes

used for finish, not for rough

still stumped

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Something regarding supply tubes in 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2" but I can't figure out what. Must have been before my time.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

[

Here's all I got to say about shark bites and why I carry a few.

"CPVC"

Comment

Originally posted by MasterplumberKC View Post
                    [

Here's all I got to say about shark bites and why I carry a few.

"CPVC"
                    "And that's all I have to say about that" - Forest Gump
                    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

is that the tool that puts the ridge on a peice of pipe for a toilet supply riser when you want to use the little rubber grommet that comes with most of them?

geno, i'll fess up, but not right now

we'll see how many are still stumped. last time i used 1 was over 10 years ago

give you a hiint. i had 3 different sizes

used for finish, not for rough

still stumped

rick.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                        is that the tool that puts the ridge on a peice of pipe for a toilet supply riser when you want to use the little rubber grommet that comes with most of them?
                        jeopardy judges say incorrect

plumbing trivia for $2000.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Shark bite connections are most useful in jobs where time, and speed matter for any speciality piping application. I agree in the this ever changing world of high tech you can never only stick wth the "old school"
                          methods of repair. More than once saved me up in an attic dealing with
                          pin holes copper repairs. Or in the typical large commerical bldg dealing
                          with emergency water repairs and hearing "when can we turn the water back on". Education, knowledge, and experience, make the skilled plumber.
                          Pro -press, epic fittings, compression, push on,pvc,cpvc,galv, brass, sweat, flared, and shark bit fittings all have their respective applications,

Comment

plumbing trivia for $2000.
                            What are....?
                            They come in 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 inch.
                            Typically used to mill the ends of spaghetti flexes.

Show me the money, Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Eric View Post
                              Shark bite connections are most useful in jobs where time, and speed matter for any speciality piping application. I agree in the this ever changing world of high tech you can never only stick wth the "old school"
                              methods of repair. More than once saved me up in an attic dealing with
                              pin holes copper repairs. Or in the typical large commerical bldg dealing
                              with emergency water repairs and hearing "when can we turn the water back on". Education, knowledge, and experience, make the skilled plumber.
                              Pro -press, epic fittings, compression, push on,pvc,cpvc,galv, brass, sweat, flared, and shark bit fittings all have their respective applications,
                              When it's repaired correctly for the longterm with the least amount of liability.

That's when the water can be turned back on.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                                What are....?
                                They come in 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 inch.
                                Typically used to mill the ends of spaghetti flexes.

Show me the money, Alex.

i'll give you the benefit to elaborate. alex would still say incorrect

so, to win the milkshake, explain the process in detail or else

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X