Shark Bite Connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shark Bite Connection

Lock ridge tool, please that's a rookie question. I still have a collection of them but they are getting harder to find. Sadly like many other things the lock ridge tool will disappear as part of the dumbing down of the trades. I believe most doing commercial or institution work would still use them on occasion depending on the specs.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Lockridge tool, Rick spills the beans in 05. Google is your friend.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
        Lockridge tool, Rick spills the beans in 05. Google is your friend.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532
        the good old day, mark, plumbdog and imported by plumber rick

yes the thread talks about it, but doesn't get into the fine detail of how it works

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

so, to win the milkshake, explain the process
          I knew you would welch. Even though I would like to taste a $2000
          milkshake, I would rather have the dough. But if not, then I'll accept
          an apology.

Comment

Here's a 3/8 one that the little bearing is missing from the business end.
            I didn't have my camera so I scanned it on the copier.
            On the flat part of the handle it says Lockridge, USA.
            Took me a while to find it.
            Unless you had something else in mind, this is it.
            Lockridge made many tools.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
              What are....?
              They come in 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 inch.
              Typically used to mill the ends of spaghetti flexes.

Show me the money, Alex.
              i'll give you the benefit to elaborate. alex would still say incorrect

so, to win the milkshake, explain the process in detail or else

rick.
              Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
              I knew you would welch. Even though I would like to taste a $2000
              milkshake, I would rather have the dough. But if not, then I'll accept
              an apology.
              survey says, wrong answer

"Typically used to mill the ends of spaghetti flexes"

is not correct. to mill is a cutting process.

the answer i was looking for is the process, how it's used and what it does.

the lock ridge tool is used to prevent a pull out of the spaghetti water line from the valve at either end. this involves installing the slip joint nut, proper size friction ring then using the lockridge tool/ aka beading tool, to create a small circular bead approx. 3/8'' down from the end of the tubing. this locking the slip joint nut from pulling off the tubing as the friction ring will not slip past the formed ridge/ bead of the tubing. of course the cone washer might still leak/ drip, the tubing is not going to pull off and flood the house at full pressure.

milling the end of the tubing is like reaming. no where close to what i was looking for

plus a lockridge tool with no ball is useless

most expensive shake i've ordered was $6.00 and it really did suck that was back in the early 80's and they closed up soon after.

my k-60 shake is $1500. worth of equipment and $1. worth of ingredients

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The original question was what is it used for, not the process involved.
                MoJourneyman actually had it right, as did I. How many ways did the question
                need to be answered? I don't mind playing the game, just don't make up
                the rules as you go along. Yes, a broken tool is useless as you have
                proved many times.
                BTW, the definition of mill is to grind, work, treat, or shape.
                That would include flairing, beading, or grooving.
                It's not strictly pertaining to cutting.
                Last edited by Big Jim; 03-18-2010, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I don't remember the tool being made by Lockridge but it may have been one of the manufacturers. Most guys called the tool a beading tool although I've heard lock-ridge as well. There was a time you couldn't find a finish truck that didn't have a bunch of friction rings spilled on the floor.

Mark

Comment

jim, tell me how a shark bite differs from the millions and millions of john guess fittings used in water filters and process piping everywhere in the country and around the world.

please tell me when the last time you used a flaring tool? or a lock ridge tool? heck, i think 90% of the guys here have no idea what a lock ridge tool is used for, no less what 1 is

rick.
                    looks pretty clear what my point was.

i doubt that anyone could figure out what it was or used for based on your response. milling the end doesn't explain anything. the end is not what gets milled or beaded.

sure if you own 1, you obviously have used 1 and know the process. but for the 90% who have never seen 1 or used 1, i doubt they would know what to do if all they heard was to mill the end and not know the process involved.

i went into detail for the benefit of the 90% that have never seen or used the tool. personally, it's been well over 10 years since i ever used 1.

there are much better ways of connecting fixtures to angle stops, than a 6' stick of spaghetti. another long lost art down the drain for the better

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I've never seen nor heard of this tool before. I spent an entire year in plumbing school in 1979/80 plus a four year apprenticeship afterward. Just when you thought you knew everything...

So do any of you guys use tubing benders on supply tubes or pipe?
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;287413]jim, tell me how a shark bite differs from the millions and millions of john guess fittings used in water filters and process piping everywhere in the country and around the world.

Home Depot and Lowes never sold Guess fittings.

please tell me when the last time you used a flaring tool? or a lock ridge tool? heck, i think 90% of the guys here have no idea what a lock ridge tool is used for, no less what 1 is

We still flare copper all the time for water mains.

it's called progress and weather you like it or not, progress is going to leave you behind.

It's called cheaper, faster, easier and it is killing the trade.

there is not 1 plumber soldering that can compete with me propressing installing copper on a wet installation. while everyone is waiting for the water to drain down, i'm long gone and off to the next job.

I have a whole set of jet swett tools, water is usually not a problem. Pro-press is not always allowed for commercial jobs and I'm not in that much of a hurry. It's plumbing. It's a trade. It's not a race.

how about the sprinkler and hvac fitters that use victaulic fittings instead of screw pipe. are they also hacks
                        are we hacks when we use no hub instead of lead and oakum

Don't see that much here but Victaulic fittings are very expensive and used when the joint is subject to flexing so the short answer is no.

california has been both the first and last to set standards. partly due to environmental issues and partially due to union pressure. if it was up to the union, we would still be hand threading hanger rod instead of cutting all thread rod. that's a fact.

California's plumbing code is quite a bit more lax than many other codes, with the exception of earth quake protection.

if you really think soldering is a better process, you need to get out of the usa and see what the rest of the world is using.

Why do I care what the rest of the world is using?

do you really think cast iron or no hub is better than plastic? how about steel gas underground pipe. hdpe is far superior than any metallic pipe. same with waste piping.

In commercial and industrial applications, CI and No-Hub are far superior and many times are code.

technology is a good thing when it's a proven product.

How many years is "proven" as opposed to how many dollars were slipped into someones pocket for that approval?

sure it doesn't take years of skill to assemble a shark bite. but it takes years of experience to design and lay out a system properly.

Homeowners hacking into their piping are not concerned with design. Sharkbites allow anyone to instantly create a hazardous backflow condition.

just because the public thinks they can do it, we all wouldn't be here if they could. remember there's over the counter medicine and then there's prescription only medicine

And just what percentage of the population do you suppose, self medicates? Anyone in this business has seen profits and customer bases shrink over the years as the code gets more lax and materials that any fool can use proliferate on the market. At a recent trade show I attended it was a veritable sea of sharkbite fittings and plastic hangers and other plastic crap all designed to make the job faster and easier. In short order there will be no need for plumbers to pull out a tape measure or a level because it will be pex and quick connects and nobody will give a crap how it looks as long as it was done cheaply. Those of you not yet effected but these trends, god bless you, but the rest of us are watching the trade slowly die. These materials are by no means the only reason but they for damn sure are a nail or two in the coffin.
                        sigpic

Comment

NH, I love it, man.

Comment

[QUOTE=NHMaster3015;287877]
                            jim, tell me how a shark bite differs from the millions and millions of john guess fittings used in water filters and process piping everywhere in the country and around the world.

interesting as our home depots, lowes and every hardware store, plumbing supply that i've been to sells the quick connect / john guess style fittings.

i guess you're town is old school. out here all of ours get soldered, screwed, mechanical joint or now propressed. the only thing i see flared are the water companies connections with soft copper.

it's called progress and weather you like it or not, progress is going to leave you behind.

the trade is being killed by the lack of formal training and licensing. any tom dick or harry that has a pick up can call themselves a plumber. maybe the homeowners are tired of hiring unqualified people and are starting to do the minor stuff themselves i can tell you that the trade is not what it use to be when i first started in 1975. start enforcing the licensing laws and that will clean up the trade faster than anything else.

there is not 1 plumber soldering that can compete with me propressing installing copper on a wet installation. while everyone is waiting for the water to drain down, i'm long gone and off to the next job.

I have a whole set of jet swett tools, water is usually not a problem. Pro-press is not always allowed for commercial jobs and I'm not in that much of a hurry. It's plumbing. It's a trade. It's not a race.

keep that mentality and see how many general contractors are willing to pay you for non productive time. amazing as i get recommended to large plumbing shops to do the work that they can't do. next time you need to shut down and drain an entire office building, hospital, hotel, apartment building, remember that there's people like me that don't have to. i can get the job done without disrupting the entire building. but then again when you spend thousands and thousands on the proper tools, you should be able to. $200 for a set of jet sweets is a drop in the bucket for real tools. that doesn't even cover the tax on 1 tool i use for this work.

how about the sprinkler and hvac fitters that use victaulic fittings instead of screw pipe. are they also hacks

Don't see that much here but Victaulic fittings are very expensive and used when the joint is subject to flexing so the short answer is no.

not out here. typically anything over 2''ips is victaulic. why? because the days of threading and wrenching large pipe is gone. vic has been around for a good 75 years or so. even copper vic, i've used for the past 10 years.

california has been both the first and last to set standards. partly due to environmental issues and partially due to union pressure. if it was up to the union, we would still be hand threading hanger rod instead of cutting all thread rod. that's a fact.

California's plumbing code is quite a bit more lax than many other codes, with the exception of earth quake protection.

actually california sets the standard for the rest of the country to follow.

who had the fvir water heaters years before any other state? how about the ultra lo nox heaters? how about the lead free plumbing fittings? just to name the most recent. lead free solder, water soulibel flux, low flow toilets. i can go on and on.

if you really think soldering is a better process, you need to get out of the usa and see what the rest of the world is using.

i guess all good inventions come only from the usa.

do you really think cast iron or no hub is better than plastic? how about steel gas underground pipe. hdpe is far superior than any metallic pipe. same with waste piping.

In commercial and industrial applications, CI and No-Hub are far superior and many times are code.

they might be the code, but as far as superior, definitely not. take a look at any lab and and see what pipe is used. most labs now use fuse seal. iron pipe corrodes. just look at any soda fountain floor drain.

How many years is "proven" as opposed to how many dollars were slipped into someones pocket for that approval?

if you really knew what it cost to get an approval on a new product, you would know it's not cheap.

sure it doesn't take years of skill to assemble a shark bite. but it takes years of experience to design and lay out a system properly.

Homeowners hacking into their piping are not concerned with design. Sharkbites allow anyone to instantly create a hazardous backflow condition.

i don't agree on that statement. if it was up to you, hardware stores wouldn't exist.

just because the public thinks they can do it, we all wouldn't be here if they could. remember there's over the counter medicine and then there's prescription only medicine

And just what percentage of the population do you suppose, self medicates? Anyone in this business has seen profits and customer bases shrink over the years as the code gets more lax and materials that any fool can use proliferate on the market. At a recent trade show I attended it was a veritable sea of sharkbite fittings and plastic hangers and other plastic crap all designed to make the job faster and easier. In short order there will be no need for plumbers to pull out a tape measure or a level because it will be pex and quick connects and nobody will give a crap how it looks as long as it was done cheaply. Those of you not yet effected but these trends, god bless you, but the rest of us are watching the trade slowly die. These materials are by no means the only reason but they for damn sure are a nail or two in the coffin.
                            interesting as year after year, my gross goes up, my collection of specialty tools and equipment goes up and my customer base goes up. maybe, just maybe i'm on the right track by investing in the future.

do you use hdpe for gas? do you own a fusion machine? guess what. they make mechanical fittings for the hdpe gas pipe. do you really think a homeowner is going to buying and install their own gas mains? hdpe is faster, less expensive and last pretty much forever. you just keep screwing in threaded pipe while the rest of the country including the utility companies install products of the future. tell me that hdpe is no good so i can get a bigger laugh than i'm getting now

you sound like old school union b.s. the same b.s. i put up with for 15 years. all politics for their own good.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

I'm guessing that is a regional thing. All of our meters out here are either IPS or sweat.

Actually with a critical supply it often is a race. Be careful not to over generalize as we all do different work. Which commercial jobs are ProPress not allowed on and is that by spec or by Code?

Again it must be regional as all of the States I work in use it in most of the high rises for fire, potable and chilled water.

I'm not sure I would agree with that and I'm curious what you think makes it lax. I am Certified and Licensed under both the UPC and the IPC and feel they are fairly close with the IPC being just slightly more lax. You use the IPC with 4-pages of amendments and California uses the UPC with 53-pages of amendments.

We all (including Rick) tend to base our opinion on what we find where we work. That is probably why we all have different opinions.

Mark

Comment

[QUOTE=NHMaster3015;287877]

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

I'm guessing that is a regional thing. All of our meters out here are either IPS or sweat.

Actually with a critical supply it often is a race. Be careful not to over generalize as we all do different work. Which commercial jobs are ProPress not allowed on and is that by spec or by Code?

Again it must be regional as all of the States I work in use it in most of the high rises for fire, potable and chilled water.

I'm not sure I would agree with that and I'm curious what you think makes it lax. I am Certified and Licensed under both the UPC and the IPC and feel they are fairly close with the IPC being just slightly more lax. You use the IPC with 4-pages of amendments and California uses the UPC with 53-pages of amendments.

We all (including Rick) tend to base our opinion on what we find where we work. That is probably why we all have different opinions.

Mark
                                MAN O MAN, It's been like 4 days of

"my rooster is bigger then yours"

What?..... It's a farm animal,......what were you'll thinking I meant?

Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 03-19-2010, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X